Militant Singhs And Punjabi Culture

SardarDholi

sardarbhajji

is bhangra and music only punjabi culture ... nope ... bhangra is not for the person who is a worrior or for spirtual person .... and the combination is khalsa .... if khalsa says bhangra is not good he just dont ment bhangra or songs he ment all the entertainment kind of stuff is wrong which get ur mind away from god ...

secondly is punjabi culture what they show on tv .... bhabi mera na whiskey mundey haan de payi firde .... is this punjabi culture .... pike darru jadd sheran wangu gajjde jattan kollon rab we darr ... punjabi youth do bhangra on this song proudly ..... this is not at all punjabi culture .... dhol beat always sounds good but not with songs like this one which spread wrong message ....

can u tell me meaning of this line jatt jattan de bholu hai narain da .....

punjabi culture was mehnat .... which people had forget see in our farms .... 90 % of cultivation is directly controled by beharis in punjab .... why not u speak for this lost part of punjabi culture ....

punjabi culture was relegion .... all the granths of hindus .... its even said brhama wrote four purans on the land of punjab .... there were most number of peers .... we have forgot them isnt it punjabi culture ????

what punjabi culture people have made today ....

1. sharab

2. caste system

3. nudity

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for your replies that has cleared up a lot for me.

lok geet is still around and always will be...as lok geet is just (as Baba Bulleh Shah said) "Words from the common tongue".

i dont see the new wave of "punjabis" having any relivane to punjabi culture...its all crap...the new modern songs, culture and attitude is a disgrace to everything that pnjabi culture stands for.

the punjabi culture iam talking about is pind life, doing the rounds on the keeth, drinkin lassi in the morning, driving the tracktor round the keeth. the life is a pind sardar, that part of culture.

Sdholi, keep your cool here bro. Even though, bhangra for the most part, I consider a caveman culture, I appreciate many types of music in their place. Some of these may be offensive to others. However, I still suggest you listen carefully to those who are suspect of what you are doing. They views are worthy of respect and reflection. It is likely difficult for many to grasp how a young person may participate in bolyan and dhol and not offend humanity like most of bhangra does.

It sounds like it's a message you are open to hearing, then good for you. If you have in the past sung about things that would be inappropriate as a Sikh or human being for that matter, it does not mean you can not develop as a person and artist.

As an artist, you are connecting through your medium to your audience. If your audience is making erroneous assumptions about what you are doing, then integrate a humble explanation into your performance.

Tell your audience before or after your performance that this is an issue that has arisen and tell them who you are and who you are not. If you have developed and learned and overcome a bhangra caveman past, tell them that.

ONE CRITICAL CAVEAT. If you are not prepared to have respect in your heart for the message from those you at one time called militant, then you are not prepared to do this. You must be very humble and very sincere and be prepared to have your art be consistent with your message. That means no b.s. whatsoever. If you turn out insincere, you will have even bigger problems.

budda Singh ji...you make a lot of sense...i know understand where you're coming from and giving me advince on how to overcome it.thank your for that...this realy helps me a lot. If i did offend anyone wit the militant comment thn i do aplogize...BUT it is out of line when someone disrespects something that is in my blood..like dhol, lok geet.

i stil want this topic to continue as i m still curious as ow other people this about it.

thank you

wjkk wjkf

Thank you for your replies that has cleared up a lot for me.

lok geet is still around and always will be...as lok geet is just (as Baba Bulleh Shah said) "Words from the common tongue".

i dont see the new wave of "punjabis" having any relivane to punjabi culture...its all crap...the new modern songs, culture and attitude is a disgrace to everything that pnjabi culture stands for.

the punjabi culture iam talking about is pind life, doing the rounds on the keeth, drinkin lassi in the morning, driving the tracktor round the keeth. the life is a pind sardar, that part of culture.

Sdholi, keep your cool here bro. Even though, bhangra for the most part, I consider a caveman culture, I appreciate many types of music in their place. Some of these may be offensive to others. However, I still suggest you listen carefully to those who are suspect of what you are doing. They views are worthy of respect and reflection. It is likely difficult for many to grasp how a young person may participate in bolyan and dhol and not offend humanity like most of bhangra does.

It sounds like it's a message you are open to hearing, then good for you. If you have in the past sung about things that would be inappropriate as a Sikh or human being for that matter, it does not mean you can not develop as a person and artist.

As an artist, you are connecting through your medium to your audience. If your audience is making erroneous assumptions about what you are doing, then integrate a humble explanation into your performance.

Tell your audience before or after your performance that this is an issue that has arisen and tell them who you are and who you are not. If you have developed and learned and overcome a bhangra caveman past, tell them that.

ONE CRITICAL CAVEAT. If you are not prepared to have respect in your heart for the message from those you at one time called militant, then you are not prepared to do this. You must be very humble and very sincere and be prepared to have your art be consistent with your message. That means no b.s. whatsoever. If you turn out insincere, you will have even bigger problems.

budda Singh ji...you make a lot of sense...i know understand where you're coming from and giving me advince on how to overcome it.thank your for that...this realy helps me a lot. If i did offend anyone wit the militant comment thn i do aplogize...BUT it is out of line when someone disrespects something that is in my blood..like dhol, lok geet.

i stil want this topic to continue as i m still curious as ow other people this about it.

thank you

wjkk wjkf

just wanted to add my two cents:

Gurbaani:

1) personal, you can sit in your room and be alone and enjoy it.

Punjabi songs, lok geet, bhangra etc:

1) not personal. you talk about walking around the keth, drinking lassi, being a pind da sardar...most if not at all times, you will want to dance in front of others, show off in front of others. no one does bhangra by themselves alone to please ther inner emotions. The proof is that you had to post on this forum so others knew about your desire to be able to dance and sing boliyaan freely without "militants" hounding you.

For bhangra you seek approval from the sangat, whereas in sikhi no one ever seeks approval to sing.

look, i was on a bhangra team. Was pretty good at it too. Even dabbled in writing punjabi songs about my girl. even sang and made a punjabi track. then started to read gurbaani and realized how weak the language in punjabi songs is, how twisted the message is, how far it is from reality, how hypocritcal it is.

punjabi songs talk about pyaar, love and ishaq. all awesome. but if a jatt's girl is caught with a boyfriend, they will cut her to peices and throw her body in a canal. this has already happened, more than once.

thsi life is a journey bro. live your life. experience it. all we can do is give you examples from our lives and tell you our opinions. that's all they are. only god and guru are perfect.

wish you all the best. and if someone tells you to get away from bhangra and listen to gurbaani, don't think of him as a militant, but as someone who actually cares about you. it is frustrating when people mock the things we hold close to our hearts, but sometimes those things we cerish in life are actually worthless and we realize it when it's too late.

peace bro.

just wanted to add my two cents:

Gurbaani:

1) personal, you can sit in your room and be alone and enjoy it.

Punjabi songs, lok geet, bhangra etc:

1) not personal. you talk about walking around the keth, drinking lassi, being a pind da sardar...most if not at all times, you will want to dance in front of others, show off in front of others. no one does bhangra by themselves alone to please ther inner emotions. The proof is that you had to post on this forum so others knew about your desire to be able to dance and sing boliyaan freely without "militants" hounding you.

For bhangra you seek approval from the sangat, whereas in sikhi no one ever seeks approval to sing.

look, i was on a bhangra team. Was pretty good at it too. Even dabbled in writing punjabi songs about my girl. even sang and made a punjabi track. then started to read gurbaani and realized how weak the language in punjabi songs is, how twisted the message is, how far it is from reality, how hypocritcal it is.

punjabi songs talk about pyaar, love and ishaq. all awesome. but if a jatt's girl is caught with a boyfriend, they will cut her to peices and throw her body in a canal. this has already happened, more than once.

thsi life is a journey bro. live your life. experience it. all we can do is give you examples from our lives and tell you our opinions. that's all they are. only god and guru are perfect.

wish you all the best. and if someone tells you to get away from bhangra and listen to gurbaani, don't think of him as a militant, but as someone who actually cares about you. it is frustrating when people mock the things we hold close to our hearts, but sometimes those things we cerish in life are actually worthless and we realize it when it's too late.

peace bro.

thankyou...but does sggs ji say that it is wrong to dance???just out of curiosity..i've never realy known

GurFateh.

it seems like you use the word 'militant' as if youre describing some people you against :D ...not sayin you do...just seems like it:

And when i say militant singh i meant people who have been brainwashed to the degree that they cant believe anything else other than what they have been "programmed" 2 believe.

rii...all amritdharis are militants..just lettin you know.

and for when SINGHS/SINGHNEES tell you that you shouldnt be doin something, i think you should 'at the spot, there and then' ask the person/people why they tellin you to do/not do whatever they had mentioned...

your parents and grandparents can be proud of what you doing yo...but that dont mean that what you doin is right. there are many parents out there who say theyre proud of their kids, while knowin that their kids aint doin right things and all

and yo i dont see why you askin for reasons to explain why 'militant' singhs are tellin you that what you doin is wrong..

these 'militant' singhs you talkin abt are obviously into sikhi

what does dhol, dholak, baja, tumbi, guitar, or drum kit do for your sikhi?

i aint sayin that im perfect..

and yo, culture dont follow through someones veins...(just lettin you know)

and please dont ever say that sikhi only a part of their culture....

dont ever say "sikhi is ONLY" cuz sikhi is opposite of "only"

sikhi everything. you dont need no punjabi culture man

it dont give you nothin

when gursikhs think of w/e it is that you do, most see it as something that takes people away from relgious habbits...

Laugh, joke and have fun, life is but short, what really matters is that we treat eachother well, because that is what you will be judged on, not on how well you followed any particular religion.

have fun using that as an excuse on your "judgement" day

and the 'common tounge' that you speak of changes through time cuz people change..so lok geet isnt always lok geet now is it...

thankyou...but does sggs ji say that it is wrong to dance???just out of curiosity..i've never realy known

i think you should read all the replies that people give you to help answer your Qs:

IN REGARDS TO DANCING

nic nic tpih bhuqu duKu pwvih ]

nach nach ttapehi bahuth dhukh paavehi ||

they dance and dance and jump all around, but they only suffer in terrible pain.

nicAY tipAY Bgiq n hoie ]

nachiai ttapiai bhagath n hoe ||

By dancing and jumping, devotional worship is not performed.

From ang 159 of Guroo Granth Sahib Ji Mahraj.

VahegurooJiKaKhalsaVahegurooJiKiFateh

peace...

GurFateh

Guest s133k_s1kh

gauVI guAwryrI mhlw 3 ]

gourree guaaraeree mehalaa 3 ||

Gauree Gwaarayree, Third Mehla:

ieik gwvq rhy min swdu n pwie ]

eik gaavath rehae man saadh n paae ||

Some sing on and on, but their minds do not find happiness.

haumY ivic gwvih ibrQw jwie ]

houmai vich gaavehi birathhaa jaae ||

In egotism, they sing, but it is wasted uselessly.

gwvix gwvih ijn nwm ipAwru ]

gaavan gaavehi jin naam piaar ||

Those who love the Naam, sing the song.

swcI bwxI sbd bIcwru ]1]

saachee baanee sabadh beechaar ||1||

They contemplate the True Bani of the Word, and the Shabad. ||1||

gwvq rhY jy siqgur BwvY ]

gaavath rehai jae sathigur bhaavai ||

They sing on and on, if it pleases the True Guru.

mnu qnu rwqw nwim suhwvY ]1] rhwau ]

man than raathaa naam suhaavai ||1|| rehaao ||

Their minds and bodies are embellished and adorned, attuned to the Naam, the Name of the Lord. ||1||Pause||

ieik gwvih ieik Bgiq kryih ]

eik gaavehi eik bhagath karaehi ||

Some sing, and some perform devotional worship.

nwmu n pwvih ibnu Asnyh ]

naam n paavehi bin asanaeh ||

Without heart-felt love, the Naam is not obtained.

scI Bgiq gur sbd ipAwir ]

sachee bhagath gur sabadh piaar ||

True devotional worship consists of love for the Word of the Guru's Shabad.

Apnw ipru rwiKAw sdw auir Dwir ]2]

apanaa pir raakhiaa sadhaa our dhhaar ||2||

The devotee keeps his Beloved clasped tightly to his heart. ||2||

Bgiq krih mUrK Awpu jxwvih ]

bhagath karehi moorakh aap janaavehi ||

The fools perform devotional worship by showing off;

nic nic tpih bhuqu duKu pwvih ]

nach nach ttapehi bahuth dhukh paavehi ||

they dance and dance and jump all around, but they only suffer in terrible pain.

nicAY tipAY Bgiq n hoie ]

nachiai ttapiai bhagath n hoe ||

By dancing and jumping, devotional worship is not performed.

sbid mrY Bgiq pwey jnu soie ]3]

sabadh marai bhagath paaeae jan soe ||3||

But one who dies in the Word of the Shabad, obtains devotional worship. ||3||

Bgiq vClu Bgiq krwey soie ]

bhagath vashhal bhagath karaaeae soe ||

The Lord is the Lover of His devotees; He inspires them to perform devotional worship.

scI Bgiq ivchu Awpu Koie ]

sachee bhagath vichahu aap khoe ||

True devotional worship consists of eliminating selfishness and conceit from within.

myrw pRBu swcw sB ibiD jwxY ]

maeraa prabh saachaa sabh bidhh jaanai ||

My True God knows all ways and means.

nwnk bKsy nwmu pCwxY ]4]4]24]

naanak bakhasae naam pashhaanai ||4||4||24||

O Nanak, He forgives those who recognize the Naam. ||4||4||24||

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i am not the smartest one but after reading the whole shabad all i can interpret is that nache tappe has a totally different meaning. it has got nthg to do with bhangra or any other dance whtsoever.

i don t understand how you ppl associate this shabad with cultural dances??

evryone has said enuff stuff about wht the original poster should do or shouldn't do, but relating all this to bani makes no sense to me :D correct me if i am wrong.

todays songs and music are totally diff from wht sardardholi is talkin bout. what he is talkin bout is the true culture. SardarDholi Punjab di rooh di gal karda, kidan pinda ch tiyan lagdiya si, mele hunde si, loki kathe ho ke geet gaunde si, sharart vi hundi si. dats the real culture and it still is alive ..you lot need to find it. my grandma was a god fearing person and she used to tell me so many boliyan of their time. tht was the real culture. i have to sadly say this thts its dying but we can still revive it.

this being said i ask sardardholi to be truthful to all of us here.. what kinda dance are u into..you should have explained tht first and thn asked if tht was rght or no. whn you said u do bhangra tht sent a totally different msg :D ... u knw wht i mean.

all these thgs are more like extracurricular activities and ppl quit these thgs after a certain age. we all knw dat. football doesnt help us in merging with god..does it?? should we stop dat too?

bhulan chukan layi maffi

Gur Fateh !!

i am not the smartest one but after reading the whole shabad all i can interpret is that nache tappe has a totally different meaning. it has got nthg to do with bhangra or any other dance whtsoever.

i don t understand how you ppl associate this shabad with cultural dances??

evryone has said enuff stuff about wht the original poster should do or shouldn't do, but relating all this to bani makes no sense to me

yes!

Gurbani is reffering to when hindus dance and say this shows their devotion to their Gods/Godesses. Guru ji says - how will this get you mukti??

I need to do benti to everyone here: STOP USING GURU GRANTH SAHIB JI AS A BOOK OF RULES!!!

:D

What I realised about the difference between Muslims/Jews/Sikhs etc is that Muslims and Jews, when talking about any topic on religion, always refer to their holy book.. So if it's not mentioned in there it is not right..

Sikhi isnt like that: Guru ji has given us jugti (method) to reach such a high avastha that we will automatically know the answers..

Guru Granth Sahib ji is soo different from other religious texts (sorry to compare Guru ji to them.. but just to make a point.. blush.gif )..why? because Guru Ji isnt just a book of stories like Bhagvat Geeta or Bible, nor isit a book of rituals like the Vedas/Puranas, nor isit a book of rules like the Quran..

Guru Ji is so much more.. let's be Sikhs and treat Guru ji as that "so much more"

Waheguru.