Are These 'sikhs' Praisng A Picture Of Guru Nanak Dev Ji?

SaRpAnCh

Koyee fark nayee paindha veera. I just think that this youtube video is taken out of context. What I mean is that each house has a different set-up. Some people have maharaj the saroop, so when the prabhat pheri enters they sit around the Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj. Alternatively, sometimes when the prabhat pheri enters someone house, the house owners have already set-up a photo on a table and created an open space for the sangat to sit. The sangat does not turn around and leave as soon as they see the photo. They sit down, do the kirtan, spend 10 minutes in that house, and then move on to the next house which might have an entirely different set-up prepared for the prabhat pheri sangat.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest militant singh
Man, they threw flowers at Guru Nanak Dev Jis saroop to show love and devotion to a portrait of their master, whats the big deal?

Whether you agree or not, please dont let your ignorance blind you enough to ignore THE BEAUTY of the sangat praising NIRANKAR in the most beautiful way - through utilizing the sadh-sangats spirit and love.

On New Years Eve, the Hukunama at my local Gurdwara was a tukh from Bhagat Kabir Ji in which he spoke of nindah and the 'hell' which surrounds its possessor. Before I drive, I 'matha-dek' to Guru Nanak Dev Jis saroop (one which I have in my car) and if that means I have to face the wrath of nindaks like you, then so be it.

As long as I leave with my head and spirit in tact, I’ll be fine.

"Guru Nanak, Rakh Charna De Kol,

Charna Di Mauj Bedi"

LOL LOL LOL please your killin me lol 'saroop' LOL ha LOL.gif in your car, (Serious voice) A picture is not a saroop a,an image is not a saroop so dnt call it a saroop,the only saroop nirankar is within to us is The Guru Granth SAHIB!. PERIOD....dnt worry no1's gna beat you up 'face the wrath' he says dnt have time for ignorance of people like you frankly had enough of that and im sick of it so dnt care,just remember Guru Gobind Singh did call all this 'koor kireyah' dnt knw how mny times ive mentioned that on ths forum,useless worship blind : "kou bootan ko poojat hai pass,

kou mritaan ko poojan dhaao ,

koor kirya urjhey sabh hee jagg

sri Bhagwan ko bhed naa payeo" so u can worship all the pictures u want make all the pilgrimages you want end of the day your idolating,and its useless Guru Ji tell us -the old bibiyan do it to pics of 'sants' even so whst stopping you doing it to a picture of Guru Ji ,to me a picture provides inspiration and makes you think- a pic speaks a thousand wrds' but you lot take it to next levels worshiping pics n tht not right

"Man, they threw flowers at Guru Nanak Dev Jis saroop to show love and devotion to a portrait of their master, whats the big deal? "

Guys whats the big deal!! I mean they are just showing their own type of respect by disrespecting the same Gurus teaching that they are trying to respect. if that made any sense. In case you can't tell i'm being sarcastic. Stop justifying this pls. Everyone has a right to practice their own type of religion. Where I draw the line is when people try to justify un sikhi practices as sikhi practices. How are you ppl showing respect to Guru ji by doing the exact opposite of what he has taught and written. NO IDOL WORSHIP PERIOD.... Oh and thanks for the lesson on what a prabhat Pheri is. But most or us already knew what it was, still no justification for what is showed in the video. Get a grip. Hindu ban na be a good hindu. Sikh ban na, Then be a proper sikh. Stop mixing and matching to your own liking, showing your ego thinking you know better then the Guru. Oh i will adopt this part of sikhi but not this part, and i will ad this other part into sikhi. If you wanna be disciples then be proper disciples. END OF DISCUSSION.

Guest Glasgow Singh

i think that they are simply uneducated, and havent actually thought about what they are doing - these people believe they are honouring guru sahib , but tell me this slugz - how can the painting, or image of any guru sahib be accurate?!?

You have a statue or something in your cAR that u matha tayk to, which you percieve to be be dhan dhan Guru Nanak Dev ji, yet do you recall the sakhi of Guru ji educating the people who were throwing water to their relatives "on the sun"??!

Using of the Dimaag please! :D @

Woah... looks as if I hit a soft spot in some online 'militant' Singhs.

Let it go already, to each his own.

And for the record, do a little research, there are COUNTLESS images of our GURU Jis from their time.

If we have pictures of Alexander the Great from 200 BC, you think we dont have any of our Gurus?

Seriously, what was our 5th Patshah thinking when he wrote "Guru Ke Moorat, Te Maan Meh Dyian!"

slugz.............its right to respect pics and images of Gurus etc.......at the end of the day i wouldnt let a pic of our Gurus touch the floor or anything like that

but u need to understand that our Gurus taught us that it was thier teachings that were the most important thing.....thats why Guru Gobind Singh Ji installed Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji as our eternal Guru and ordered us to respect SGGSJ equally.

its all good respectin the pics but we need to remember the teachings of our Gurus and follow them first as they are the most important things to any Sikh! Hope u get me!

I thought that the Gurus did not commission, Acknowledge and frowned upon pictures being created of them from their times because they knew people would start worshipping them!? Therefore I was under the impression that not may pics of Gurus come from thier respective ages and if there are they are crude, unreliable and unofficial ones.

From my understanding the Guru's didnt want us to Idol worship so why would we even contemplate defying thier will. Considering the Guru's never wanted pics of themselves painted while they were in human form! Are we really respecting them!? Are we respecting their wishes?

What we look at today are modern day interpretations of artists of what the Guru's looked like, and they vary! So are we really putting these pics up to respect the Guru's or a mere artists interpretation of what the Guru's looked like! Quite Frankly! they look white in most pics therefore inforcing a stigma of fair is more beautiful! Has anyone actually seen a pic of a Guru with Asian skin ? :D You have thousands of Pics of Jesus in National Gallery you dont have Christians worshiping because they are mere Paintings; an Artists imagination...nothing more and the same applies in Sikhi.

I just dont think there is any need for them and in my opinion we are violating their wishes! if they wanted pics of themselves to be in homes they would have commissioned painters like Ranjit Singh! but they didnt!!!

I know have a extreme view on this issue but Meh!...correct me if I'm wrong Im still learning and soz if I offend; Unintentional.

Firstly, lets remember that our beloved Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj was NOT present in the room. Its common-sense, that nothing besides the PHYSICAL body of our Guru Jis should be praised in the presence of Maharaj, as that is our ONLY Guru... he GURU GRANTH SAHIB JI MAHARAJ!

Also, there are two books which tell the story of how our NINTH GURU JI not only ALLOWED a portrait to be made of him, but also ASSISTED in the final touches of the saroop after the artist couldn't paint GURUs face (since it was adorned with light!)

1) Nama Prakash - Written 30 years after Guru Gobind Singh Ji physically left this would in 1730s-1740s.

2) Guru Suraj Parkash - This book has a longer name, but this is the condensed version. This book was written 100 years after GURU GOBIND SINGH JI physically left this would and took over twenty years to complete (its nearly 6000 pages!)

Ok... those are my two sources... go to that bookstore outside of AMRITSAR and ask them for it, I forget the name... something like GURSIKH JEEVAN/ANAND?

ALSO... ... this saroop/image/painting is at the following Gurdwara in BANGLADESH...

http://www.allaboutsikhs.com/index.php?opt...iew&id=2815

GURUDWARA SANGAT TOLA - Bangla Bazar

Guru Tegh Bahadur stayed at this place on his way to Assam. The local followers received him with great affection and built the two storyed structure especially for his stay. Devotees visited him in hundreds ever day and listened to the kirtan and holy discourses. Some manuscripts of the holy Granth Sahib, a portrait of Guru Tegh Bahadur done by an artist of his time and some epistles sent by Guru Gobind Singh have been discovered at the shrine.

Everyone has their own opinion, but the story I've mentioned detailed how Guru Ji NEVER denounced an artist from painting any of the Gurus.

There is a picture of Guru Nanak Dev Ji in Mecca which was drawn while Maharaj was holding his diwan.

There is a Gurdwara in Gurdaspur which has a picture drawn of Kalgidhar Patshah from over 300 years ago - which was drawn in his presence.

And, there is this saroop which our 9th patshah finished himself.

Again... there is only ONE GURU... and thats our GURU GRANTH SAHIB JI MAHARAJ which is the PHYSICAL body of our tenth Gurus.

Bhai Nand Lal Ji says "Eh Akree Nahi, He Patre Nahi, Eh Seena Hai Guru Arjan Dha" (this is not merely letters or pages, its Guru Arjan Dev Ji Maharajs body!)

Guest s133k_s1kh

And for the record, do a little research, there are COUNTLESS images of our GURU Jis from their time.

If we have pictures of Alexander the Great from 200 BC, you think we dont have any of our Gurus?

Seriously, what was our 5th Patshah thinking when he wrote "Guru Ke Moorat, Te Maan Meh Dyian!"

Veera,

do you agree SIKHI is against idol worship ? Talk to any ChardiKala Singh you'll knw that bowing to pictures is totally againsta SIKHI.

and regarding the tuk you have posted from the shabd. I dunno from where have to got the meaning of moorat, but you have misinterpretated those verses ( i am pretty sure its unintentional). "Gur Ki Moorat" here refers to the "Gur Shabd", not the picture of Guru Ji in human form. if you read the same shabd, you'll find a line

"Bhule ko gurmarg payia,avar tiyaag har bhagti laya"

meaning of the verse in bolds >>> He leads them to renounce others, and attaches them to devotional worship of the Lord.

the mool mantar has the word moorat in it -- "Akal Moorat" -- Image of the Undying Lord not the Guru in human form. if you look up for "moorat" in SGGS you'll understand wht context it has been used in.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Veera,

do you agree SIKHI is against idol worship ? Talk to any ChardiKala Singh you'll knw that bowing to pictures is totally againsta SIKHI.

and regarding the tuk you have posted from the shabd. I dunno from where have to got the meaning of moorat, but you have misinterpretated those verses ( i am pretty sure its unintentional). "Gur Ki Moorat" here refers to the "Gur Shabd", not the picture of Guru Ji in human form. if you read the same shabd, you'll find a line

"Bhule ko gurmarg payia,avar tiyaag har bhagti laya"

meaning of the verse in bolds >>> He leads them to renounce others, and attaches them to devotional worship of the Lord.

the mool mantar has the word moorat in it -- "Akal Moorat" -- Image of the Undying Lord not the Guru in human form. if you look up for "moorat" in SGGS you'll understand wht context it has been used in.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Of course SIKHI is against worshiping idols, come on man, we both know that. The point I'm trying to make is that when I am not at a Gurdwara I pray infront of a saroop of our Guru Jis as it means more to me than a worthless picture.

My initial post said that the most important thing in the video was the sangat reciting BANI with love and admiration in the presence of Guru Nanak Dev Jis saroop.