SARBLOH

Sher Khalsa

i was just wonderin why some amritari ppl only eat stuff that are made in sarbloh....

i dont know anything about this subject, just wanted to learn....

i know AKJ says this also when they give amrit, and i know theres some AKJ ppl on this board, so maybe u guys can answer my question????

i dont want anyone to take this personally, i just want to learn, becuz some amritdharis's dont eat in sarbloh and some do... i just wanted to know why?? and whats the reason for sarbloh???

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest balwinderkaur

my guess: they eat in sarbloh to make up for iron deficiency???????? read this somewhere.. also to stay in line with command of being bibeki. someone please expand cuz im also clueless. tongue.gif

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Pyare jio, althougth I myself am not sarblohi, just for your benefit, I will attempt to answer your question.

Sarbloh means eating out of iron utensils. It is part of prataan rehit and tradition followed by many Gursikhs in AKJ, Taksal, Nihangs, etc.

Sarbloh has specific qualities and its importance should not be under-estimated. Sahib Siri Guru Gobind Singh ji specifically wrote a rehitnama in which he clearly wrote the kara should be of sarbloh.

Amrit has always been prepared out of sarbloh batas only. There are many reasons for this. Main one is sarbloh is very clean. If you have ceramics or steel, when you clean it, you just clean the surface. However in sarbloh, when you clean it, the whole layer of iron gets removed, revealing a completely new layer, which is totally clean.

Many Gursikhs kept sarbloh rehat as part of their daily routine. Names include Bhai sahib Bhai Randhir Singh ji, Baba Gurbachan Singh Ji Bindrawale, Baba Ram Singh ji Namdari, Akali Phoola Singh Ji, and many others. As you may see this is a wide cross section of jathebandik fore-figures in the Panth.

You will find some people who are vehementally against sarbloh, saying it is wrong. That is there perogative. I, myself, have always respected strict Gursikhs, as long as they are not over the top. I far prefer a Gursikh saying to me, he/she is sarblohi, than someone saying nothing wrong with meat and bhang.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Pyare jio, like i said, I am mot sarblohi, and have never been. I know the Tapoban Gursikhs all are. You may be better putting these questions on there forum, to get proper answers.

http://www.tapoban.org/phorum/list.ppa?f=1

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Gur Fateh!

Sikh Soldier, in addition to the useful overview provided by Jagjit Bhai Sahib on the matter of Sarablohi Bibek, please find below a reproduction of some background to the Sarablohi Tradition that I had written on another post

Please note that this is only an overview, but feel free to ask any further questions, as you will note the concluding paragraph implies amongst other, the invidivuals and groups Jagjit Bhai sahib mentions:-

Best regards,

Niranjana

Note referred to:-

The tradition of respecting Sarbaloh does appear to be a legacy from Shakat/Tantric aspects that can be found increasingly since the 18th Century amongst the Sikhs, particularly the Nihang Dals.

The devi/goddess/feminine attributes of God (depending upon your personal stance) have been worshiped by various names (Durga, Kali, Chandi, Bhavani, Bhagautee etc) one of which is Sarabloh, referring to a Kharag, Khanda or any weapon without a wooden handle or non-iron components i.e. "all iron". (Take a look at the pictures shasters using the links on this forum, under the pictures section, and one can see an assortment of such weapons in common use by the Nihang Singhs).

Iron ore, Iron metal and weapons made from Iron in the Indian sub-continent have been and are worshipped as manifestations of Chandi/Bhagautee, this trend is in particular popularity with the Rajputs.

This legacy has continued for Sikhs, albeit under different reasoning, as manifestations of Akal Purakh’s power through the use of terminology in the Dasam Granth (Sarabloh, MahaLoh, the Shaster Naam Mala etc) and in more common occurrence with the weapons adorning Dhumalas, Dastaar

s and Maharaj’s Darbar, aside from their other uses).

Iron and iron weapons are termed ‘Asi’ with Bhagautee/Kali described as the appellation of the Kharag weilder (Asipan, Kharagkhet). Sarbaloh is hence considered as another name for Kali in classical Shakat scriptures.

Prior to the Singh Sabha reforms, the majority of Sikhs in 18th century, particularly the Nihang dals, as per Bhai Daya Singh's Rehatnama, Bhai Rattan Singh Bhangoo’s Panth Parkash and Santokh Singh’s Suraj Parkash, strongly believed in the invocation of Bhagautee by Guru Gobind Singh during the Naina Devi incident and as such, iron weapons being manifestations of bhagautee, were worthy of worship as Shastar Guru. This is symbolically explained through the use of Chandi, where Chandi (the weapon) rides the Singh (Lion) and accordingly, it is the Weapon and hence Sarabloh, is the wielder of the Singh and not the other way around as well as the invocation of Bhagautee during the Ardas, Chandi Di // (and other Chandi compositions in the Dasam Granth), Sarabloh Avtar etc etc.

Similarly many exclusive aspects of Nihang practice can be seen to have Shakat/Tantric roots and undertones of which some have continued to prevail in subsequent panthic movements who have proximity to ‘Nihangta’, albeit these movements are not necessarily Nihang by lineage or indeed aware of the origins of the Sarablohi bibek in terms of the wider elements of Chandi Puja.

Sarbaloh is hence considered as another name for Kali in classical Shakat scriptures.

Amazing just like you rolleyes.gif

..I'm still a bit confused about one bit (the above quotation). I still don't quite grasp how Sarbloh is considered another name for Kali?? The Shastar Guroo??

Is there any relevance to the shabad (by Gurdev Pita Jee) below?? 'Kal Tuhee, Kali Tuhee' (especially) Also, could you translate this shabad for me, don't fully understand it.. Thanks Pyareo ^_^

doihrw ]

As ikRpwn KMfo KVg qupk qbr Aru qIr ]

sY& srohI sYQI XhY hmwrY pIr ]3]

qIr quhI sYQI quhI quhI qbr qrvwr ]

nwm iqhwro jo jpY BXy isMD Bv pwr ]4]

kwl quhI kwlI quhI quhI qyg Ar qIr ]

quhI inswnI jIq kI Awj quhI jg bIr ]5]

dhohiraa ||

as kripaan kha(n)ddo kharrag thupak thabar ar theer ||

sai sarohee saithhee yehai hamaarai peer ||3||

theer thuhee sait

hhee thuhee thuhee thabar tharavaar ||

naam thihaaro jo japai bhayae si(n)dhh bhav paar ||4||

kaal thuhee kaalee thuhee thuhee thaeg ar theer ||

thuhee nisaanee jeeth kee aaj thuhee jag beer ||5||

Many Gursikhs kept sarbloh rehat as part of their daily routine. Names include Bhai sahib Bhai Randhir Singh ji, Baba Gurbachan Singh Ji Bindrawale, Baba Ram Singh ji Namdari, Akali Phoola Singh Ji, and many others.

Gur Fateh!

Bhai Sahib, a quick question, please could you provide the reference for Baba Ram Singh Ji Naamdhari being a Sarblohi?

If one exists it should be available as all of Baba Ram Singh's hukamnamas were documented (vis-a-vis Rehit, Banis, Chandi Puja, Havans etc etc), I do not recall seeing one about Sarbloh, so would be interested in finding out more about this...as Baba Ji was of Nihang Origin (hence the emphasis on Dasam Bani, Chandi Path, Dhumala-style turbans, Lathi-Raksha etc etc).

I look forward to hearing from you,

Niranjana.