baba nand singh

chamkila

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really good question, also why are tablas made with animal sikh.

Gur Fateh!

Chamkila, thank you for raising the obvious question here! You're spot on!!!

Why indeed are tablas made from leather, dolkis, all tradition (and may I add proper instruments) of Gurmat Sangeet vis-a-vis Dilbura, Saranda (designed by Guru Arjan Dev Ji himself!!!) and the Taus to mention a few all made of leather components???

In fact I have personally seen puratan Shasters with leather sheaths and even puratan texts which use leather materials for binding!

For the record, I am a strict Lacto-Vegetarian, before this degenerates into a discussion about meat-eating, but let’s be pragmatic about this please! I’ve come across this issue before with fanatical vegetarians (I’m one myself, however I don’t impose this on others...just fanatical about maintaining my personal practice!) taking this attitude of “I am vegetarian, therefore I must shun all meat products and not use leather...†to extreme lengths.

The two examples that come to mind in my personal experience this idea of maintaining ‘Sucham’ to extreme levels and being obsessively concerned with the use of animal products is during my attendance of two quite different Sat Sangat Diwans. One being held by the AKJ and another by Naamdharis. In b

oth instances, and I think we can agree that the two groups here are poles apart in many respects, however this common theme was to be honest quite amusing.

In short, we had senior members of the Sangat, in both instances, expressing much concern about wooden furniture being present in rooms as this may contain glue which has animal components in its make up, concern about the individual playing tabla to wash his hands before he can handle any gutkas, receive parshad, even shake hands!!!

Compare this with the attitudes of Brahmans in India, who refuse to dine, sit with, talk to and so on and so forth with the low caste Shudras (an attitude also found with Jatts in Punjab, refusing to engage with Chamars, because they handle leather as part of their daily profession), however the same Brahmins are quite apt to play classical instruments such as the Mridangam, Pakhawaj, Tabla where their hands are in contact with the same leather and that too handled by the low caste Shudra or Chamar!

I would urge all to read Bhai Gurdas Ji’s Varan on the subject of the Goat and its meat and its usage vis-a-vis musical instruments etc etc.

I remain at the feet of the Sadh Sangat.

p.s. If anyone would like to discuss the topic of meat, then please let do so on another thread (one is in existence all ready), let’s keep to the issue at hand –the use of leather and other such animal products in non-consumable instances.

In short, we had senior members of the Sangat, in both instances, expressing much concern about wooden furniture being present in rooms as this may contain glue which has animal components in its make up, concern about the individual playing tabla to wash his hands before he can handle any gutkas, receive parshad, even shake hands!!!

WHAT?!??!

where did this happen? glue? come on.. tell me which akjs said that and ill come over there and have a talk with them!! HAHAHA thats ridiculous..

as for tabla.. i dont think anyone wants to eat talcum powder so theres a good reason for washing hands before taking parshad..

WHAT?!??!

where did this happen? glue? come on.. tell me which akjs said that and ill come over there and have a talk with them!! HAHAHA thats ridiculous..

as for tabla.. i dont think anyone wants to eat talcum powder so theres a good reason for washing hands before taking parshad..

Sardar Bahadur MKhalsa Singh Jeeo!

GUR FATEH!!!

Yes, it is indeed ridiculous!!!

As per the Tabla, I agree with the talcum powder issue, however the gentlemen in question explicit made reference to the fact that one's hands had come into contact with the leather skins!!!

To be honest, I do find these instances quite amusing! :@

Guru Raakha,

Niranjana.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Pyare jio, although I am Panthik, and i do seva with many jathebandies. One being AKJ. Ten years ago, they inspired me to keep my kesh. Since I have known them, and know them very well.

I can honestly say I have not got a clue, what on earth you talk about. Which akj have you ever met, who has said things like that?

All the jatha Gursikhs I have met, and concerened with bani abyass, seva, and sangat.

Please put names, and realise if someone does really exist like that he/she is nothing more than an individual. Your generalisations are way, way, of the mark.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Naranjana

Just a personal observation, could you not refer to people who do not agree with you as 'Sardar Bahadur' etc. I noticed this practice of yours before when you debated with Khalsa Soulja on another forum.

If you want to debate, please do so but please do not try and give ironic titles to those who do not share your viewpoint.

I hope you will take my advice in the spirit it was given because the other threads turned into shouting matches as you may well recall

GurFateh

Bikramjit