baba nand singh

chamkila

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

We were given the surname Singh (meaning Lion) for a reason. The Lion has many unique habits which sets it apart from other animals. A few are strength, the fact that it has intimate relations once in it's lifetime (hence control over Kaam) and also when it hunts, it eats only it's own hunted prey (shikar). Which means it fends for itself and does not rely on others. Also, when it's attacked, it doesn't move in the opposite direction and run off, it faces the opponent and the attack without fear (bravery).

So, all these attributes make the Lion the 'King' of all animals because of his natural unique abilities, there must have been a reason as to why Guru Ji gave his Sikhs the name Singh.

Babaji was therefore fond of the Lion, it's symbol and it wasn't as if they hunted them down to make these rugs out of them, I asked my Dad and he said people donated a lot of stuff, as Sewa, and these rugs were pre-made and Babaji used to like these very much. Who can tell the real reasons as to why Puran Mahapurukhs do certain things, it's beyond my limited human comprehension, just tried to express my reasons. Hope it helps.

Gurfateh

Ps. Some Chaur Sahib's are made out of Peacock feathers.

Bhainjee, I think it's a tiger skin, not a lion skin. I remember being told by some singh about the reason for using this, but I can't remember now. According to him, it had something to do with the actual hair in the fur helping somehow. It was someone from Nanaksar who explained it, so maybe if anybody knows a senior Nanaksar singh, they could find out.

About the attributes of a lion. I remember watching nature shows on them and they many times take food from other animals, like cheetahs and leopards. In fact, it's the lioness that usually hunts and the lions just come and take it. And the kaam thing is also just a myth. I don't think these are the reasons Baba Nand Singh Jee would use a skin. Unless you're talking about tigers? Don't know much about them.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Pyare jio, I have read alot of books on Baba Nand singh ji. He seemed like a very abyassi gursikh. But some books contradict each other, I think this is due to over-zealous followers.

I just wanted to know, if there anything the Baba Nand Singh ji wrote himself? Possibly letters, articles, or eye witness accounts of him, recordings, etc.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Guest Akaal108

jagjit singh ji,

can you shed some light on the books that contradict each other???

name of the books

author name:

what is it that contradict in the books???

i gotta nanaksar dharamsala near my place.. i ll have a look at it..

thanks in advance..

well that is still a pretty decent reason if one is a strict vegetarian and has touched meat, why put it in ur mouth?

its just common sense to me.. :@

MKhalsa Jeeo,

Is touching/playing the tabla or other instrument the same as touching meat? I'm not talking about hygiene here when I make mention of this occurence, which is something I totally agree with, it's just the irony of some die-hard vegetarians who stretch these things too far!

Again, consider the fact that some puratan Shasters and Granths have leather components in their making and binding.

All I am saying is eating meat/not-eating meat is one thing, to start a whole debate on the use of animal products is quite another, again refer to the couplets of Bhai Gurdas Ji to see what he says about the meat of a Goat and its many uses.

Humbly,

Niranjana

Guest balwinderkaur
Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

We were given the surname Singh (meaning Lion) for a reason. The Lion has many unique habits which sets it apart from other animals. A few are strength, the fact that it has intimate relations once in it's lifetime (hence control over Kaam) and also when it hunts, it eats only it's own hunted prey (shikar). Which means it fends for itself and does not rely on others. Also, when it's attacked, it doesn't move in the opposite direction and run off, it faces the opponent and the attack without fear (bravery).

So, all these attributes make the Lion the 'King' of all animals because of his natural unique abilities, there must have been a reason as to why Guru Ji gave his Sikhs the name Singh.

Babaji was therefore fond of the Lion, it's symbol and it wasn't as if they hunted them down to make these rugs out of them, I asked my Dad and he said people donated a lot of stuff, as Sewa, and these rugs were pre-made and Babaji used to like these very much. Who can tell the real reasons as to why Puran Mahapurukhs do certain things, it's beyond my limited human comprehension, just tried to express my reasons. Hope it helps.

Gurfateh

Ps. Some Chaur Sahib's are made out of Peacock feathers.

bhainjee....as far as i know...

..its the lioness which does the hunting.....and the lazy lion(yah i detest the lion for doing this to the lioness tongue.gif ..hence the phrase lazy lion) sleeps all day and eats what the lioness catches whilst the poor tired lioness has to sit aside and consume the remnants of the shikar. based on what ive seen. correct me if im wrong.

jagjit singh ji,

can you shed some light on the books that contradict each other???

name of the books

author name:

what is it that contradict in the books???

i gotta nanaksar dharamsala near my place.. i ll have a look at it..

thanks in advance..

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

pyare jio, the books are eternal glory, by Brigadier Pratap singh jaspal. then you have harbans singh doabia books, and numerous punjabi artciles in punjab papers.

When I first read about Baba Nand singh Ji, I found the books, articles and katha, concentrated alot on miracles that happened around Baba Ji. Considering that Gurmat is against miracles, but I have often see miracles do happen around abyassi people. This is not intentional, but just bhana.

Much of the parchaar, especially katha on Baba ji concentrates alot on miracles. For example, he saw a carpenter. The carpenter had cut some pieces of wood wrong. When baba ji came, the pieces suddenly became right size, etc. (Very over simplistic example)

This kind of parchaar reduces Baba Nand singh ji to be made out to be just a miracle worker. I really do not think they do justice to him.

It was only later when I got more into Baba Attar singh ji Mastuana wale, than read more about Baba Nand singh ji again. Then I re

ad punjabi articles, about how he used to Amrit vela on a branch of a tree, above a shappur. Or how he used to tie his kesh to a peg. Or how he never let any building remain for people to Puuj him. Then you realise his dedication to abyass, and Gurmat.

I just wish this side of him to shown more, rather than miracles. Did he ever write anything?

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!