Back From Punjab

- Drugs & Alcohol

Drugs and alcohol are an epidemic in punjab, pretty much in every shop you'll see shops selling 'zarda' or chewing tobacco to little kids. Ludhiana alone has more than 50 shops selling liquor - english and desi. In my pind alone, the only thing opened after 7pm was the liquor shop. Talking with some gurdwara gyiannis in Ludhiana, the older generation has come to the realization that the government is behind all the drugs in Punjab. In my opinion, from someone going after 10 years , and reading all about the drug epidemic in Punjab, you have to see it to believe it.

- Water Issue

My uncle owns about 50-60 acres in our village, and he mentioned to me that every year for the past 10 years the water level is shrinking and I think as a recent news article has dictated, this will have disastrous consequences for the state of Punjab.

- Elections

As anti-Sikh as this sounds, Congress party has done good work in Punjab over the past couple of years with the infrastructure, and with the water issue. Speaking with my father and some of my relatives who are pro-akali, they have mentioned a lot of roads and major developments in most of the major cities have occured with the change in government. - Note my family and my relatives are pro- Akali.

Who will win this year's election, it will be good, but I think it will be the Akali party - Badal, I asked mostly everyone if Mann will win, and I always got back the same gesture. People would start laughing at me, Mann lost all prestige after the kirpan mishap a couple of years ago.

To wrap it up, someone asked me whats in Punjab and basically here they are:

1. Gurdwaras

2. Marriage Halls

3. Bhaiyai

4. Liquor Shops

5. Drugs -Nashai

- Drugs & Alcohol

Drugs and alcohol are an epidemic in punjab, pretty much in every shop you'll see shops selling 'zarda' or chewing tobacco to little kids. Ludhiana alone has more than 50 shops selling liquor - english and desi. In my pind alone, the only thing opened after 7pm was the liquor shop. Talking with some gurdwara gyiannis in Ludhiana, the older generation has come to the realization that the government is behind all the drugs in Punjab. In my opinion, from someone going after 10 years , and reading all about the drug epidemic in Punjab, you have to see it to believe it.

Thats the only profitable business in Punjab and everyone wants to get liquor vending lic. etc.. Most of the shops are illegal without any permit, all they do is bribe officials on monthly basis. There must be more than 50 shops in ldh because in amritsar city alone, we counted more than 450 Shops in the radius of 4 to 5 miles. There are two ways to counter this problem. One is govt start taking control on lic shops and raids on dealers and the other one is spreading awareness or giving hope to the youth by changing their lifestyle (sikhi/camps, seminars etc).
- Water Issue

My uncle owns about 50-60 acres in our village, and he mentioned to me that every year for the past 10 years the water level is shrinking and I think as a recent news article has dictated, this will have disastrous consequences for the state of Punjab.

As Bhagat Puran Singh jee said.. One day Punjab will become desert and that day will come in our lifetime for sure.

- Elections

As anti-Sikh as this sounds, Congress party has done good work in Punjab over the past couple of years with the infrastructure, and with the water issue. Speaking with my father and some of my relatives who are pro-akali, they have mentioned a lot of roads and major developments in most of the major cities have occured with the change in government. - Note my family and my relatives are pro- Akali.

Who will win this year's election, it will be good, but I think it will be the Akali party - Badal, I asked mostly everyone if Mann will win, and I always got back the same gesture. People would start laughing at me, Mann lost all prestige after the kirpan mishap a couple of years ago.

Thanks for giving the quick update on recent elections. It is true that mann is not a popular and strong figure in Punjab. Many ppl blame him for many different reasons. Mann party is the best out of all other parties but they have to be more universal (hindus/muslims etc). They need to create strong platform and reach ppl and should not focus on just one or two issues.

Badal on the other hands seems to gonna win next month election. He is trying to make safe future for his son "Sukhbir Badal", so that he can retire easily.

1. Gurdwaras

2. Marriage Halls

3. Bhaiyai

4. Liquor Shops

5. Drugs -Nashai

lol. marriage halls.. they are popping out everywhere .. even in the middle of nowhere.. Bhaiya is big problem and punjabis are concerend but they are not doing anything and soon in coming years we will have couple of bhaiya MLA's etc... Now that will be the major problem !

Everyone should visit punjab to see the ground reality..

- Drugs & Alcohol

Thats the only profitable business in Punjab and everyone wants to get liquor vending lic. etc.. Most of the shops are illegal without any permit, all they do is bribe officials on monthly basis. There must be more than 50 shops in ldh because in amritsar city alone, we counted more than 450 Shops in the radius of 4 to 5 miles. There are two ways to counter this problem. One is govt start taking control on lic shops and raids on dealers and the other one is spreading awareness or giving hope to the youth by changing their lifestyle (sikhi/camps, seminars etc).
- Water Issue

As Bhagat Puran Singh jee said.. One day Punjab will become desert and that day will come in our lifetime for sure.
- Elections

Thanks for giving the quick update on recent elections. It is true that mann is not a popular and strong figure in Punjab. Many ppl blame him for many different reasons. Mann party is the best out of all other parties but they have to be more universal (hindus/muslims etc). They need to create strong platform and reach ppl and should not focus on just one or two issues.

Badal on the other hands seems to gonna win next month election. He is trying to make safe future for his son "Sukhbir Badal", so that he can retire easily.

1. Gurdwaras

2. Marriage Halls

3. Bhaiyai

4. Liquor Shops

5. Drugs -Nashai

lol. marriage halls.. they are popping out everywhere .. even in the middle of nowhere.. Bhaiya is big problem and punjabis are concerend but they are not doing anything and soon in coming years we will have couple of bhaiya MLA's etc... Now that will be the major problem !

Everyone should visit punjab to see the ground reality..

As for the liquor issue, to my knowledge the government waived the need for licenses in Ludhiana, as the business seemed far to profitable for the normal man to keep up with licensing. Too many "illegal" shops so the licenses were waived altogether. This is what I had heard, but it could be wrong and based upon someone just metaphorically saying "look at so many liquor shops, its because the gov't doesn't care"

As for the liquor issue, to my knowledge the government waived the need for licenses in Ludhiana, as the business seemed far to profitable for the normal man to keep up with licensing. Too many "illegal" shops so the licenses were waived altogether. This is what I had heard, but it could be wrong and based upon someone just metaphorically saying "look at so many liquor shops, its because the gov't doesn't care"

umm not really there a lottery system(from outside thats how it looks like) ! and most of these people who own um or got the license in LDH are people who are part of congress(or at least have a connection with them.)nd im not writin this cuz i heard frm someone but rectly one of my relatives bought one in ldh thats why i kinda know. sickening!!!! :) its a really political game tht some of the old people who have been in the system know about. and Amrinder singh isn't the one who is to blame i would say. there is only so much one can do init?

itz very interesting how politicians think they can fool the public by playing these games where as most of the public know whats goin on but i jus dont know why they aren't doin much about it. blush.gif i am really not aware if there is anything people are doin to take care of this/these problem(s), because i hvn;t actually lived there to know the reality of things.

Guru sahib kirpa karn!

waheguru

bhul chuk muaff karni

I think kaur khalistan said it right.. The people who are well known and got inside contacts for long time are the only one who get the lic. to operate stores. Its the fact that Punjab Govt make lots of MONEY in this business. Most of the shops are owned by politicians or their relatives. Other punjab border states are bit of strict on liquor issues and their prices are higher than punjab. Punjab is like Wallmart (prices are low) on liquor issues. It's like the Transportation System. Normal person cannot get the permit to operate any bus service in Punjab. They have lottery system and again mostly all permits goes to Politics ppl; for example Badal family operates dozen of bus fleets. Thats the only reason why we don't see the rail system between major cities like Amritsar to Chandigarh because they (badal and others) know that they will loose their bus business if they give green light to inter state rail system. Anyway, its our duty to share our knowledge with our family and relatives in punjab and let them judge what good is needed for our lost punjab.

Hey man I agree with you, I don’t understand one thing why people are exploring drugs and sex? What these people gaining from that experiences? What is the Sikh community of Punjab and the government doing to prevent that junk from happening? As individuals shouldn’t we take fate in what happening in Punjab? We are the lucky ones that are born or immigrated to the rich countries. UNITED WE STAND, BUT IF THERE NO ONE TO STAND HOW ARE WE UNITED?

as far as alcohol is concerned people drink it thats why its sale is high .... if there are no shops what do u think people will stop drinking .... why not blame people ..... then govt ..... what about the so called punjabi culture songs .... jai peeni shad ti jattan ne kon marru lalkare .... every second song has sharab in it ..... punjab consumes most alcohol then any other state in india ..... and more sikhs are contributing in it then hindus ....

water problem ... last seven years no matter akali or cong they are telling to farmers not to go for jeeri ... not to go for jeeri .... it takes most amount of water to cultivate then any other crop .... and the jeeri grown in punjab ... is not even used by punjabis .... more then 90 percent is exported to up behar west bengal ... where people eat rice more then wheat .... but reason for growing rice is only one .... 6 months season ... out of which a zamindar has to work for one and half month .... rest four and half months go to tubewell just on it and off it .... frankly even mehanti punjabi zamindars dont like doing work now .....

bhaiyas ..... if there is work for them thats why they are here ..... and beleave me .... i live in punjab ... i can say .... punjab will stop if bhaiyas are removed from here ...

bhaiya family planning slogan is .... HUM DO HAMARE DO TESRA HO PUNJAB BHEJ DO .....

as far as alcohol is concerned people drink it thats why its sale is high .... if there are no shops what do u think people will stop drinking .... why not blame people ..... then govt ..... what about the so called punjabi culture songs .... jai peeni shad ti jattan ne kon marru lalkare .... every second song has sharab in it ..... punjab consumes most alcohol then any other state in india ..... and more sikhs are contributing in it then hindus ....

water problem ... last seven years no matter akali or cong they are telling to farmers not to go for jeeri ... not to go for jeeri .... it takes most amount of water to cultivate then any other crop .... and the jeeri grown in punjab ... is not even used by punjabis .... more then 90 percent is exported to up behar west bengal ... where people eat rice more then wheat .... but reason for growing rice is only one .... 6 months season ... out of which a zamindar has to work for one and half month .... rest four and half months go to tubewell just on it and off it .... frankly even mehanti punjabi zamindars dont like doing work now .....

bhaiyas ..... if there is work for them thats why they are here ..... and beleave me .... i live in punjab ... i can say .... punjab will stop if bhaiyas are removed from here ...

bhaiya family planning slogan is .... HUM DO HAMARE DO TESRA HO PUNJAB BHEJ DO .....

I'd like to point out an incorrect statement that most people present as fact.

Punjab does NOT consume the most alcohol. It sells the most.

Its fact, that Gujrat CONSUMES the most alcohol, but does not sell any because it is illegal in gujrat to sell alcohol in the state. It imports and consumes by far, through the black market, far more than Punjab does.

Only reason Punjab has a bad rep with alcohol is because our music is about it, and we have legalized the sale of alcohol, and have the highest legal sales.

http://www.ias.org.uk/resources/publicatio...103-04_p27.html

The state of Kerala stands first in per capita consumption of liquor at 8.3 litres, followed by Punjab 7.9 litres.

how much in consumption is in gujrat against their population ....

and does it matter who consumes more or less ????