Parents & Guru Ji

Guest Always so many questions

Guest Always so many questions

Fateh to all.

I am very curious in this matter which i am about to propose infront of you, the beautiful sangat. I would like to join sikhi one day but this is damaging the barrier with my parents. If i was to join sikhi i would have to abandon my parents, and they wouldnt go to my wedding or ever talk or even acknowledge me again.

So the question which is causing me some stress needless to say is "Do i respect my family's choice by not converting to Sikhi or do i joing the path?"

I have heard about respecting your parents and but then again Vaaheguroo is our father, mother... So what do i do?

Many thanks and ill be greatful for your input :TH:

Sikhi does respect both sides both viewson this opinion, grin.gif which can be confusing sometimes :) , like u sed. Akali Guru Raam Daas Ji says in Raag Saarang:

jin kae janae baddeerae thum ho thin sio jhagarath paap ||1|| rehaao ||

It is a sin to argue with the one who fathered you and raised you. ||1||Pause||

yet if your father (which is metaphorical for parents aswell) do not raise u in the correct direction then u shud follow ur path towards God! and Akali Guru Arjun Dev Ji also says in Raag Saarang:

charaneh gobi(n)dh maarag suhaavaa ||

The most beautiful path for the feet is to follow the Lord of the Universe.

aan maarag jaethaa kishh dhhaaeeai thaetho hee dhukh haavaa ||1|| rehaao ||

The more you walk on any other path, the more you suffer in pain. ||1||Pause||

i hope this helped,

bhul chuk maaf! :TH:

Guest baba amarjeet singh

you should respect your parents

however if their wishes are going against gurmat, you should not obey them

you should follow the sikhi path, whilst remaining as respectful as you can to your parents

if your parents tell you to do something against gurmat you should try and explain as politely as you can why you cannot do such a thing

The Sikh way is the best. - You take one step towards Guru JI, He'll take 100 steps towards you.

You love Waheguru, he'll love you back, and make your family see sense! Have faith little one. Satguru Karaj App Savartah! - The True Guru Deals With All Your Affairs

how come parents are against it every parents feel proud that their child is in sikhi i have read many other posts to .... but never saw such stuff in real may be things like this never happen in punjab .....

more over it may happen that u tend to or want to change things in a day ..... not going to gurudwara at all then suddenly from one day started 3 times a day ..... no nitname at all suddenly started waking up at 2 every morning .... if this is the case i think its right if parents are worried .....

every thing needs time to set .... if u are focused and slowly then only u can make balance between family and sikhi ..... every one first should make their parents prepared ... then giving them surprises

waheguru jee ka khalsa, waheguru jee kee fateh

its easy enough saying choose sikhi, and that would definately be the right descision, BUT... this is going to be very hard. all i wanna say is you should choose sikhi but u need to be SOLID in your rehat. hava a pakka amritvela, recite as much Gurbani as possible and keep the sangat of Gursikhs. oh and do ardaas daily. beg Guru Sahib to take you onto this path, and have mercy.

bhul chuk maaf

waheguru jee ka khalsa, waheguru jee kee fateh!

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

You may have to respect your parents, but it doesn't mean that you have to blindly do what they tell you. Gurbani tells us that at the end of the day, your friends, family, and everything you have will not go with you... only Vaheguroo is everlasting.

Sometimes, its hard. But you have to do what's RIGHT. And following your heart, and your Guru, is the right thing to do.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

PS: For those who disagree, we need only to look at Guru Nanak's life... he openly disobeyed his fathers wishes (giving food to the homeless, refusing to follow hindu ceremonies), because he did what he knew was right. Our Gurus led by example.