How Jap Naam

Manjot_13

I was just wonderin what the stages of japping naam are. I know that ther are many stages but i was just wondering if someone has made a list of them somewhere. It would be greatly aprriciated if someone could give me a list an descripition of each stage.

vaheguroo ji ka khalsa vaheguroo ji ki fateh

i was unaware of 'stages' as well and i read something a while back on sikhsoul.com about it

http://singh.sikhsoul.com/archives/jan07.html#gofnaam

its from the bottom to the top tell by the dates...

i reckon you could probably find some katha on naam japna and the stages if there are any to be more concrete as the author has only taken extracts of bani but they do not sa anything about 'stages',or ask mahapurash.

but really if you just read and undrstand bani thts all u need. and i guess the 'stages' are there from those pungateean where first you are blessed and find naam to eventually :

ਪੰਨਾ 1212, ਸਤਰ 10

ਜੇਤੇ ਸਾਸ ਸਾਸ ਹਮ ਲੇਤੇ ਤੇਤੇ ਹੀ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਇਆ ॥

जेते सास सास हम लेते तेते ही गुण गाइआ ॥

jaytay saas saas ham laytay taytay hee gun gaa-i-aa.

With each and every breath I take, I sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord.

ਮਃ 5

thats my litle view forgive me if i said anything wrong sangat bukhshun yog hai

vaheguroo ji ka khalsa vaheguroo ji ki fateh

Guest Waheguru Waheguru

Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru

Giani Sant Singh Ji Maskeen, in one of his kathas, touches on this topic. He poses a question to the sangat and asks "what is the correct method to unite with God?" He then gives the following example:

If a man has not had access to any water for days, he is thirsty. And so if you place in front of him, a glass of cold water, he will not contemplate on the glass that lies in front of him and he will not ask you "what is the the correct method of drinking a glass of water?" Instead, he will pounce readily on the glass and simply gulp it. If he asks what the correct method of drinking is, then you can be sure that he is NOT thirsty. If a man has not eaten in weeks, and you place in front of him, a 36 course meal, he will not pause to think about the food and he will not ask you "what is the correct method of eating food?" Instead, he will readily jump towards the food and devour it. If he asks what the correct method of eating is, then you can be sure that the individual is NOT hungry. Applying it to the original question, if an individual asks "what is the correct method to recieve naam and unite with God?", you can be certain that the person does not have the desire to jap the naam in the first place. Just as eating and drinking have no method and are instinctual, so is the japping of naam. The desire for naam must come within and must be instinctual and come form love, like our love for food and water that ultimately boils down to our love for our lives/bodies.

He then states that because of the instinctual nature of japping naam, it has no correct method. In fact it has no method at all! All the techniques of yoga and breathing in and breating out and sitting straight and sitting cross legged are utterly useless, because they do not contain that innate desire that one must have to jap naam. BUT Giani Ji doesn't say these techniques of doing simran and jaap are completely futile efforts. He says, just as there is no method to eating (because it is an innate behavior stemming form o ur love for our bodies), at the same time there IS a method to eating. The individual knows to put roti/food NOT in his ear, NOT in his eye, but in his mouth! Every living being has perfected the way to eat (even newborns, who reach with their mouths at their mother's breast). Therefore, eating has no method (because it is instinctual and we don;t think about HOW to eat), yet has a method (to put food in nothing else but your mouth) because it is UNIVERSAL. In the same way, to unite with God, has no method (your desire to get naam and unite with God must come from love and be second nature so you don't think about HOW you're doing it), yet to unite with God HAS a method (to remember Him with each breath you take aka simran) and this method is UNIVERSAL.

Seems to me though, that if it becomes second nature to you and you don't think about HOW you do it (you just DO it, cause you LOVE it!), the simran part (remembering Him) comes in with quite ease!

It all boils down to the love!

Saach kaho Sun Leyo Sabhai, Jin PREM Keeo tin Hi Prabh Payeo.

Gur Mere Sang Sada Hai Naale, Simar SImar tis Sada Samaale.

Shabad Surat Yoga.

There is nothing wrong with Yoga as long as you do it with Yog (fully).

Our breaths are very valuable if someone dies he or she can not purchase them at any cost. If some one breaths fast they are panicking etc

If you recite Sukhmani Sahib it controls your breathing automatically and Gurbani has a natural flow in it.

Baba Nand Singh Jee used to say learn to recite each Asthpadi of Sukhmani in 1 or 2 breaths then the Paatth becomes Ek Ras. It has 24 Asthpadis 8 verses each with 10 lines in each verse ending in Nanak.

When doing Paatth some start it singing it in Raag you should read 4 Akkhar (words) in 1 breath.

Ther's a function between breathing and our mind.

• 4 weeks later...

rwm jpau jIA AYsy AYsy ] DR¨ pRihlwd jipE hir jYsy ]1]

raam japo jeea aisae aisae || dhhroo prehilaadh japiou har jaisae ||1||

Just as Dhroo and Prahlaad meditated on the Lord, so should you meditate on the Lord, O my soul. ||1||