Sikh Sisters Where Are You?

Article below by Harjinder Singh Khalsa.

==========================

the man in blue

harjindersinghkhals a@yahoo.co. uk

FORCED CONVERSIONS

Every now and then there is excitement amongst Sikhs about conversions of Sikhs to other religions. This mostly concerns Sikh girls (young women ?) becoming Muslims, rarely about Sikhs becoming Christians and never about the many Sikhs who without any conversion are Hindus.

Last week a leaflet was handed out after the Wednesday simran in the Sikh Missionary (Southall) about a conversion of a young Sikh woman to Islam by somebody who falsely claimed to be an ex prisoner in Guantanamo.

The emphasis on Sikh ‘girls’ seems a bit hypocritical to me. Why do we never see postings about Sikh ‘boys’ becoming Muslims ? Can ‘boys’ decide for themselves, and are ‘girls’ to do what their fathers and brothers decide for them ? Can ‘girls’ not make up their own minds?

I am of Christian background and became a Sikh, and people of Sikh background have the right to become Muslims.

If we keep treating our sisters as second class citizens, do not be surprised if they are going to look elsewhere. Sikh men look wonderful with their turbans regardless whether they wear western or Panjabí clothes. ‘Sikh’ women look like any other Panjabi in their chunnis and salwar kameez.

At Sikh meetings, if older women are present at all, they tend to sit in the background and agree with all that Bhai Sahib says. It takes courage for the likes of Mejinderpal Kaur, Parmjeet Kaur, Balwinder Kaur and Satnam Kaur to come amongst men who do not feel comfortable in their presence.

We have to change ourselves, we should all stop being Hindus, stop emphasising our Panjabi culture, and emphasise on being SIKHS. We have to look like Sikhs and behave like Sikhs. If we do that fewer people of Sikh background will become Muslims, Christians, Hindus, Buddhists or whatever.

If you seriously think that somebody has been coerced into another religion by unethical means, then we can do something about it. We have good relations with the police, and when at one of our recent meeting I asked about forced conversions we were asked to report any such incident.

The law of this country and Guru’s ‘law’ are at one in this respect. Forced conversions (and forced marriages) are unlawful. If you know of any such case and you do not feel confident to take it up with your local police, contact me and I will certainly take it up for you ! Guru taught us that all can reach God if sticking to the universal principles contained in the Guru Granth. Forcing people to change their religion or to marry against their wishes is against the law and not in tune with those universal principles.

Harjinder Singh

Sikh Activist

Columnist

Vice-Chair Faiths in Further Education Forum

Faith & Cultural Diversity Consultant

Heston, Middlesex, UK

===============================

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we are missing are very big point in this that women are equal to men in sikhism.they are not sheep which need protection from a man ,these organisation trying scar you are stupid hindu.guru nanak have given full rights to women to protest them self and if want impose that women or girls need to be protected by men then we are not sikhs we hindus.ours sisters need to inpower them self and use all means to protect them self,we are here to help them if they want but act instead of them.

i think we need to stop this 'they are out to get us'

at the end of the day. this world aint for the weak. if your stupid enough to get converted then its your own fault. i know people do crazy things when they are i love. but giving up your religion for another is on another level.

i think most of the girls that get converted are from single parent families. the girl probably can do what she's likes. and their mother is probably to depressed to do anything about it.

ive noticed that alot of sikh girls are tom boys who like to hang around with males.

ive seen this on a few occasions. whats the deal with that??

i knew this one sikh girl and she hanged around with muslims. i was like why are you hanging around muslims. why not hang around with sikhs. the problem was the college was 99% muslim so there were no sikhs to make friends with. but that doesnt mean she had to have muslim friends.

also who says its just one way traffic. a muslim girl was infactuated with me :)

but i told her that it wouldnt work out and she was willing to convert to sikhsm. ect.

You know what, you people in the UK are bunch of p******. If someone ever dares to mess with us Monay Jatts here in Canada, then we Monay Jatts will destroy them by any means necessary.

lol yehhh ok.....come against ur own by callin them p****** shows how "tough" you are.... rolleyes.gif

You know what, you people in the UK are bunch of p******. If someone ever dares to mess with us Monay Jatts here in Canada, then we Monay Jatts will destroy them by any means necessary.

lol yehhh ok.....come against ur own by callin them p****** shows how "tough" you are.... rolleyes.gif

lol true say.....PunjabiLink wants to big up canadian sikhs? I can give him story upon stories that would bring shame to our brothers n sisters from canada but I wont. Theres even a case of a sikh woman who murdered the nephew of her hindu lover and then got married to a muslim prisoner after she was sent to jail and converted to Islam (note how all criminally minded people want to convert to islam lol). So before people outside of uk preach, they should take off rose tinted glasses and have a closer look in their own backyard and see whats going on.

yes lot can be done!

forgive me for the question im about to ask but what can one do when the other person doesn't wanna listen to what one has to say?

im not trying to end this topic but seriously what can one do? (ardas and live by an example? or is there more?) pray.gif

bhul chuk muaff karni

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!

IK ONG KAR SATGURU PRASAD!

Dear friends,

When any one is silently bearing the humiliation of any sorts, it only means that the concerned person is lacking confidence, which could be a result of ignorance of one's heritage and culture.

All the bibis need to be made aware of their rich and righteous heritage and culture for them to be proud of their very existence.

All such bibis need the support of the family members to begin with and then the entire society. They need to know that THEY ARE NOT ALONE IN THIS FIGHT FOR THEIR HONOR.

Bhul chuk maaf karni..

-----------------------

Dey shiva bar mohe.. shubh karman tey kabahoon na taroon!!

lol true say.....PunjabiLink wants to big up canadian sikhs? I can give him story upon stories that would bring shame to our brothers n sisters from canada but I wont. Theres even a case of a sikh woman who murdered the nephew of her hindu lover and then got married to a muslim prisoner after she was sent to jail and converted to Islam (note how all criminally minded people want to convert to islam lol). So before people outside of uk preach, they should take off rose tinted glasses and have a closer look in their own backyard and see whats going on.

:) lol

i think its not about teaching them about their religion. some people just arnt religious.

most of these girls convert just to get married anyway. what i dont get is when i read stuff like they dont want to be with a out going sikh who goes to clubs etc. they would rather be with a inncoent muslim and be safe.

how are they being safe with a muslim?? they are going from the frying pan into the fire. is being safe. being disowened by your family. then being forced to convert.

i really dont understand sikh girls. ive never come acroos anyone converting myself touch wood. but by the stories ive heard on the net there must have been around 1000 conversions from the 80's the present day.

alot of the girls arent 17 20 yr olds theres a a lot of divorcess's who are in their mid twenties who are converting.

i think girls need to change who they asscociate with at uni. they most probably hang around with muslims. and would trust muslims more then sikhs.

i think its not about teaching them about their religion. some people just arnt religious.

most of these girls convert just to get married anyway. what i dont get is when i read stuff like they dont want to be with a out going sikh who goes to clubs etc. they would rather be with a inncoent muslim and be safe.

how are they being safe with a muslim?? they are going from the frying pan into the fire. is being safe. being disowened by your family. then being forced to convert.

i really dont understand sikh girls. ive never come acroos anyone converting myself touch wood. but by the stories ive heard on the net there must have been around 1000 conversions from the 80's the present day.

alot of the girls arent 17 20 yr olds theres a a lot of divorcess's who are in their mid twenties who are converting.

i think girls need to change who they asscociate with at uni. they most probably hang around with muslims. and would trust muslims more then sikhs.

now WHY would apnen'h kuri wanna hang wiv Singhs? - becuase they treat 'em like bhen'ah - they obvioulsy like being treated like badly...the only problem wiv THESE girls is that they dont like being treated with respect - they dont like havin told chunge'ha math'ah... is either that or they chase after lads that hav then kitted up cars n chains etc....buncha gold diggers

sowie Vaheguru pray.gif - i aint speakin on them by lookin down at em - they jus makee me angrrrrrii man :):)