In Memory For My Dad

Sat Sri Akal, when it will be a year since my Dad passed away in memory my family is planning to hold a Paath or something at the Gurdwara. However I am not sure what Paath we are meant to do in memory of someone passing away? Also, I am unsure when we are meant to do it? Are we meant to do it on the anniversary date at which my Dad passed away, before or after? Your help and advice would be much appreciated. Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Sat Sri Akal, when it will be a year since my Dad passed away in memory my family is planning to hold a Paath or something at the Gurdwara. However I am not sure what Paath we are meant to do in memory of someone passing away? Also, I am unsure when we are meant to do it? Are we meant to do it on the anniversary date at which my Dad passed away, before or after? Your help and advice would be much appreciated. Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Is there no learned Gursikh who can help??

I would recommend sukhmani sahib.. dont know why.. just first Bani which came to my mind..

Hope helps..

WJKK WJKF

yeh i wudda thought sukhmani sahib but thats cos my naniji does it once a year for nanaji - but i dont think its religiously imperative that you do it - i think its if u wanna u can f u dont then dont cos the passed have passed on and i dont think then paath affects them where they go? dont take my word 4 it just my 2 cents

bhull chukk maaf karni

peace

1st Barsi means 1st anniversary and most of sikhs do akhand path for their beloved ones. But if one family cannot do it then i would recommend to do something good for the society in the name of their beloved one. Recite Sukhmani part with whole family seems to be good :) There is no time limit or restriction as i know of but it would be nice if someone giyaan person can reply to this topic.

Chardi kala and may waheguru jee bless your family..

yeh i wudda thought sukhmani sahib but thats cos my naniji does it once a year for nanaji - but i dont think its religiously imperative that you do it - i think its if u wanna u can f u dont then dont cos the passed have passed on and i dont think then paath affects them where they go? dont take my word 4 it just my 2 cents

bhull chukk maaf karni

peace

This is wrong. When someone passes the amount of bani/simran/keertan u do for them is the ONLY thing that goes with them.

Wjkk Wjkf

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

from what i have seen and learned..our elders would usually do sri akhand path sahib and path da bhog for the first barsi and they do sometimes give food on the name of the beloved that has passed on...the path is normally done before the pass on date for some reasons that im unsure about..but this is how it is normally done around my place..this is juz what i have learned..i might not be exactly correct..so phul chuk maaf karna ji

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

bhull chukk maaf karni

peace

This is wrong. When someone passes the amount of bani/simran/keertan u do for them is the ONLY thing that goes with them.

Wjkk Wjkf

ok sorry if i said anything antigurmat but it's how i know it to be done (just talkin from experience...still learning pray.gif

bhull chukk maaf ji

peace

sloku mÚ 1 ]

salok ma 1 ||

Salok, First Mehla:

jy mohwkw Gru muhY Gru muih ipqrI dyie ]

jae mohaakaa ghar muhai ghar muhi pitharee dhaee ||

The thief robs a house, and offers the stolen goods to his ancestors.

AgY vsqu is\wxIAY ipqrI cor kryie ]

agai vasath sin(j)aaneeai pitharee chor karaee ||

In the world hereafter, this is recognized, and his ancestors are considered thieves as well.

vFIAih hQ dlwl ky musPI eyh kryie ]

vadteeahi hathh dhalaal kae musafee eaeh karaee ||

The hands of the go-between are cut off; this is the Lord's justice.

nwnk AgY so imlY ij Kty Gwly dyie ]1]

naanak agai so milai j khattae ghaalae dhaee ||1||

O Nanak, in the world hereafter, that alone is received, which one gives to the needy from his own earnings and labor. ||1||

as far as i understand, doing path for "atmak shanti" of a person is not gurmat. but i guess one can sorta think about it this way, do path so that people of house who still have a human chola can listen and perhaps make something in their life. bhul chuk maaf. guru rakha

waheguru ji kakhalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!

i agree with the above (of course bani is true), the explanation for doin path aftr a yr.

those of u who have had someone pass away, know that this nature of ours (moh) can somtime take hold of us and we start thinking about the person who passed away around that time( who we thought was our and loved dearly).

bani is done to help us see the reality...to sit with guru sahib and listen to him so we dont get depressed! just like any best friend/relative, Akal purakh, through his bani, console us, helps us be in control, and advice us bout life and makes us reflect on it.

i think cuz of our mix culture/religion in india, sikhs started believing in the same thing as most other religions/cultures do...that by doing path or things like that they are helping that person who has passed away. its sad and unfortunate, and it shows our lack of understanding of our own path/belief/faith/religion.

but whatver bani family chose to recite togther make sure u listen(recite) to it and try to understand it!

may guru sahib do kirpa on all of us so we can lead a life of a gursikh!

bhul chuk muaff karni and correct me if im wrong pray.gif

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!!!