Travelling To New York

Sharan_Kaur

WJKK WJKF

I'm travelling to New York for the 1st time since Sept 11th tomorrow, and I'm a dastaar wearing Singhni. I've heard of stories where the airport security/police have asked Sikhs to remove their turban. Now I know in the UK I can refuse and the police here can't make me do so. But I was wondering if I was asked to remove my dastaar in JFK can I refuse? Also I'm travelling on my own so knowing the answer will give me some peace of mind.

Sorry if the above does not make sense. I've rushed the post.

I live in new york. If they make you do it you can refuse. If they make a fuss about it you can take it too city hall. Since sept 11 they mistake Sikh's for muslims and frankly it <Edited> me off. So one day, my mom wraped a turban around my head(when we were coming from india in 05). When I got to the air port this GORA, with a racist attitude said can you please take it off. I said no, and then he said it again but not plesantly. I said no. He was going to say it again but then I said, "Please sir, I am a sikh. If you want to make a big deal then let's do it right now. Just because I am in the airport coming through arrival does not mean im a terroist nor muslim. Im a American born sikh." Pulled out my passport and my Social Security Card. Also, my birth cirtificate. He looked at me and said "sorry" I said do not make that mistake again or I will have the officals on you faster then you can say help. So he felt giulty and I took it off.

Sorry, for the long writing but my fact is, im not a turban wearing sikh yet(yes I feel bad) but I did play with his mind. I've seen enough racism towards any indian wearing a turban or an indian.

Anyway if they start something. Step up. Do not quiet down. That's what they expect. Do not let them assume you wont speak back.

Thanks for reading, hope this helps.

Cheers,

-Sikh.