Young Sikhs Abandon Turban In Favour Of 'bollywood Haircuts'

lsingh

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What can you do? freewill is a pillar in Sikhi it’s a no win situation . Just as peace cannot be enforced nor can Sikhi.

First, recognize victory within, recognize one's own freewill. You are completely right that sikhi can not be enforced, nor should it. Also as you say, freewill is a pillar in sikhi, and it should remain as such.

It's an "always win" situation for a Sikh. By the very definitions of Sikh there is always something one can do. Think for a moment at what "doing something" means for a Sikh. We often confuse doing something with gratification of result. Our consumerism looks for instant gratification and our capitalist lives train us to measure productivity by looking at outcome (measured against our insecurities).

However, doing something IS the result for the way of a Sikh warrior. This is why Sikhs have become immortal by giving their lives. Where others call that the end, a Sikh calls it birth. This is why a Sikh faces challenges including death with waheguru on her breath and a radiant smile on her face.

Never be dissuaded. Every single one of us has the power to do as much good as we wish and live in chardi kala.

Navjot Sidhu.......Sikh Pride?....Sikh?.....you gotta be kidding me......this guy held Hindu Rituals (the one with the fire pit) at his house before the elections......I ain't got a problem with Hindus Rituals if Hindus are doing them, its their religion they can do what they want.......its when guys like Sidhu (who the Indian Media says is Promoting Sikhi with his "turban") are doing these rituals, promoting a misconception the Sikhs are Hindus (BJP and RSS talk).......this really pisses me off.....

To sum this all up: Navjot Sidhu

Wears a turban and looks like a Sikh

Is a member of the BJP (Hindu National Party)

He is a political leader, a sports icon, has a lot of supporters (political/fans)

Believes in Hindu Gods, worships them, takes parts in rituals

The Indian Media (knowing the above) promotes him as a Sikh promoting Sikhi (if that makes sense)

The only thing you know how to do is hate and discriminate. You brand me as an RSS person.... ** I dont think so ** what i do think though is that i should brand you as a Khalistani!

Guest Dancing Warrior

We lack distinctive leadership even though the mighty Granth is commander and chief we lack intelligence to hear and understand his word. At times I feel only a tearing anxiety of the absolute hopelessness, no mortal word can really quench this. At times I feel maybe this is too big too much for any of us to understand even in the tiniest proportion let alone the absolute.

I think these boys (not men) have weak necks thats why they cannot carry the crown given to them by their Guru.............some women too abandon their Guru...........those women will forever be slaves to their emotions.......................

Guest Dancing Warrior

We are all pretenders frauds fakes charlatans we don’t even have the intelligence for civil debate let alone cress the beautiful characteristic artistry of our Father, form and mind.

“We beat the drum of ego like the roar of the mighty Hun, Champion of hundreds of battles came the collector of death and the drunken ego of Attila too was undone”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../26/wsikh26.xml

Young Sikhs abandon turban in favour of 'Bollywood haircuts'

By Rahul Bedi in New Delhi

Last Updated: 2:06am BST 26/03/2007

For centuries one of Sikhism's most distinguishing symbols, the turban is in danger of falling out of favour.

Young Sikhs are abandoning the traditional headwear, wearying of the elaborate ceremony of maintaining long hair and knotting it under six yards of starched cotton.

Campaign: Navjot Singh Sidhu

"Across Punjab a large number of Sikh youth have cut their hair and, sadly, the turban-tying ceremony for teenage boys has also become rare, even in villages" lamented Avtar Singh Makkar, a senior clergyman.

The majority of the world's 20 million Sikhs are concentrated in rural Punjab, where barbers - who historically had to supplement their incomes due to a lack of customers - are now doing brisk business.

Cutting the hair renders a Sikh apostate, or "pati", but many boys are now copying the hairstyles of Bollywood stars.

Alarmed by the trend, Sikhism's leading religious group, the SGPC, has declared the April 13 harvest festival of Baisakhi as International Sikh Turban Day.

In addition, two turban-tying schools have been founded in Sikhism's holiest city of Amritsar, and a competition to select "Mr Singh International", is expected to attract widespread participation.

Every region in Punjab has its own distinct style of tying a turban, with each claiming theirs to be the best, and Mr Singh contestants are to be judged on how stylishly their headgear is tied.

The present reigning champion, Navjot Singh Sidhu, an MP and former Test cricketer, recently held a procession in Amritsar to instill a sense of pride among Sikh youth.

Meanwhile, concern over acts of violence in the West against Sikhs, mistaken for members of the Taliban, who also sport turbans, has also prompted overseas campaigns to "dignify" the headgear.

Oh well, I'll add my views to the 4 pages or so lol

Its Hukam as to whats happening and its not such a bad thing. A quick history lesson :umm:

During moghul rule (after Banda Singhs shaheedi) anyone who identified themselves as a Sikh faced death and dissolution. Being a Hindu or Muslim which was the easy thing to do. The Sikhs who kept their identity knew that it meant much hardship.

When Khalsa had Raaj in the 19th century, millions took amrit. A decade into British rule with the numbers of the Khalsa reduced and dwindling, British officials were forecasting the end of Sikhi by the turn of the century. However there was a resurgence in faith and Mahapurakhs such as Sant Attar Singh Ji helped in the increase of amrit sanchaars.

Most punjabi people up to a decade ago who kept dastaars did so because it was the convenient punjabi thing to do, not so much out of conviction for Maharaaj. And not all 'Singhs' were and are following Gurmat. Here are a few examples of bad apples

gurbachana of the nakli nirankaris

jagjit singh of the namdharis

bhaniarawala

kp gill

beant singh cm punjab

darbara singh cm punjab

zail singh

badal

darshan das

navjot sidhu

to name a few

now we all know the track records of the above yet they appeared/appear in the Sikhi saroop.

Nowadays most youth are cutting their hair but I think the ones who keep their kesh are doing it for the right reasons, for Sikhi.. Punjabi culture is changing from the pagri to having cut hair as the norm. People who keep kesh are defying the norm which strengthens personal character, and therefore the change is a sort of filtering process.

I could be wrong