Young Sikhs Abandon Turban In Favour Of 'bollywood Haircuts'

lsingh

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../26/wsikh26.xml

Young Sikhs abandon turban in favour of 'Bollywood haircuts'

By Rahul Bedi in New Delhi

Last Updated: 2:06am BST 26/03/2007

For centuries one of Sikhism's most distinguishing symbols, the turban is in danger of falling out of favour.

Young Sikhs are abandoning the traditional headwear, wearying of the elaborate ceremony of maintaining long hair and knotting it under six yards of starched cotton.

Campaign: Navjot Singh Sidhu

"Across Punjab a large number of Sikh youth have cut their hair and, sadly, the turban-tying ceremony for teenage boys has also become rare, even in villages" lamented Avtar Singh Makkar, a senior clergyman.

The majority of the world's 20 million Sikhs are concentrated in rural Punjab, where barbers - who historically had to supplement their incomes due to a lack of customers - are now doing brisk business.

Cutting the hair renders a Sikh apostate, or "pati", but many boys are now copying the hairstyles of Bollywood stars.

Alarmed by the trend, Sikhism's leading religious group, the SGPC, has declared the April 13 harvest festival of Baisakhi as International Sikh Turban Day.

In addition, two turban-tying schools have been founded in Sikhism's holiest city of Amritsar, and a competition to select "Mr Singh International", is expected to attract widespread participation.

Every region in Punjab has its own distinct style of tying a turban, with each claiming theirs to be the best, and Mr Singh contestants are to be judged on how stylishly their headgear is tied.

The present reigning champion, Navjot Singh Sidhu, an MP and former Test cricketer, recently held a procession in Amritsar to instill a sense of pride among Sikh youth.

Meanwhile, concern over acts of violence in the West against Sikhs, mistaken for members of the Taliban, who also sport turbans, has also prompted overseas campaigns to "dignify" the headgear.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Narinder Singh

Turban day? Why not uncut hair day? Sikhs are not the only community that wears turbans, many people through out india do.

A lot of people in Punjab still sport pughs, but they have no hair under it or on their faces, thats the real issue.

Navjot Sidhu the current champion, LOL.gif the dude trims his beard and hasnt even taken Amrit, i guess there is no "standard" when it comes to this competition.

Pugh bananee nah jao pul oh Punjabio, pugh bananee nah jao pul oh Punjabio (but keep on cutting the hair on your head and faces Singho).

Fateh.

Navjot Sidhu.......Sikh Pride?....Sikh?.....you gotta be kidding me......this guy held Hindu Rituals (the one with the fire pit) at his house before the elections......I ain't got a problem with Hindus Rituals if Hindus are doing them, its their religion they can do what they want.......its when guys like Sidhu (who the Indian Media says is Promoting Sikhi with his "turban") are doing these rituals, promoting a misconception the Sikhs are Hindus (BJP and RSS talk).......this really pisses me off.....

To sum this all up: Navjot Sidhu

Wears a turban and looks like a Sikh

Is a member of the BJP (Hindu National Party)

He is a political leader, a sports icon, has a lot of supporters (political/fans)

Believes in Hindu Gods, worships them, takes parts in rituals

The Indian Media (knowing the above) promotes him as a Sikh promoting Sikhi (if that makes sense)

As a result, people see him as a Sikh who also has Hindu beliefs, therefor he gives out the message that Sikhs are Hindus, which is accepted by his followers.......but he really is a misguided fool, who doesn't realize that he is neither Hindu or Sikh......how can I put this??????.. grin.gif ..Sikhism and Hinduism are two different paths (all religions are different paths) and everybody knows that you can't travel on two paths at once....... :TH:.

Oh God...you guys will NEVER be pleased with anyone who actually tries to step up and save our identity and culture.

"OH NOES, HE HAS NO DHARI, HE IS TEH EVALL!!!!"

"OH NOES, HE HAS BEEN HOLDING HANDS WIT TEH HINDOOZ"

Like, JESUS CHRIST, even if Navjot Sidhu WAS a HINDU and he went around a wore a pugh for SIKH PRIDE DAY think about how many YOUTH would be like "damn, if he can do it, SO CAN I, he's NOT even a SIKH, and he's PROUD"

And as far as the dhari, even if Navjot Sidhu gets ONE kid to keep a pugh on but still trims his beard, he has done enough, thats where WE COME IN then and educate the kid on sikhi. ALL Sidhu's job is, is to preserve the pugh, the more kids who have pughs, the more POTENTIAL they have to learn about sikhi and keep it.

BABY STEPS.

You guys are scared of ANYTHING. Turn your computers off.

TIN FOIL HATS BACK ON PLEASE.

Guest Narinder Singh
Oh God...you guys will NEVER be pleased with anyone who actually tries to step up and save our identity and culture.

"OH NOES, HE HAS NO DHARI, HE IS TEH EVALL!!!!"

"OH NOES, HE HAS BEEN HOLDING HANDS WIT TEH HINDOOZ"

Like, JESUS CHRIST, even if Navjot Sidhu WAS a HINDU and he went around a wore a pugh for SIKH PRIDE DAY think about how many YOUTH would be like "damn, if he can do it, SO CAN I, he's NOT even a SIKH, and he's PROUD"

And as far as the dhari, even if Navjot Sidhu gets ONE kid to keep a pugh on but still trims his beard, he has done enough, thats where WE COME IN then and educate the kid on sikhi. ALL Sidhu's job is, is to preserve the pugh, the more kids who have pughs, the more POTENTIAL they have to learn about sikhi and keep it.

BABY STEPS.

You guys are scared of ANYTHING. Turn your computers off.

TIN FOIL HATS BACK ON PLEASE.

I guess i see where youre coming from, its a good start (i hope).

Fateh.

In a way its a good and a bad bad. what you expect from young guys chasing females all time. The times have change so we must accept but never forget our roots and tradition. In india most people dont care because the population, drugs and everyday is the last. that my opinion