Yet, Another Mela. When Will We Wake Up!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why don't we just ban everything rolleyes.gif

yeah, like lets hav a sikh version of the taleban and ban all music, cultural activities, dress up as ninjas so no one can look at us, have our own sikh only schools, segregate ourselves from all the other communities we live in, call everyone a racist if we dont get our own way, apply for government grants to build the biggest gurudawaras under the guise of they will be for the whole community and all will be welcome and then fight in them between ourselves and ban people we dont like from coming to them and pay for the police to come with metal detectors on the days we change the commitees so we dont get unwanted people attending... etc. etc.

jus kiddin..! :devil:

crazy fools :(

WHY YOU CALLING CRAZY??? AND WHO YOU CALLING A FOOL??????

IF YOU GOT NO RESPECT FOR OPINIONS OF YOUR OWN BROTHERS AND SISTERS THEN KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT. YOU ARE TAKING THE MICKY OUT OF SOMEONE BY CALLING THEM A TALEBAN BUT YET YOURSELF YOU ARE JUDGING THEM AND STEREOTYPING THEM. LOOK AT YOURSELVES IN THE MIRROR.

THE LAST MELA I WENT TO HAD ALCOHOL AND MEAT STANDS. THE COMMITTEE SAID "WHAT CAN WE DO?" BUT HEY AT LEAST THEY AINT 'CRAZY FOOLS'.

you wanna take a chill pill, as i said only joking but if you wanna have a serious debate maybe u should start by trying to understand the irony of how we are starting to sound like other fundamental groups, such as the taleban, who have no tolerance of other faiths, cultures and traditions and wish to impose their way of life on anything that moves.

Instead of trying to ban everything why cant we try make the best out of a bad situation and educate people in what they are doing wrong and why. the mele provide a great opportunity to spread our faith and educate people.

If we continue to keep ourselves to ourselves and only talk to each other and the people in our own social comfort zones, i dont think sikhi will flourish as its meant to.

Think of our Guru Nanak Dev Ji who was renowned for his travels.

I do agree that the gurudawara and the comittees have a lot more to do when organising these events and they should take responsibility for the stalls, stands and food outlets that are allowed to attend, or they should stay out of them all together and make it clear that this is not a religous event.

and if the commitee that organised the mela that you went to that had alcohol and meat stands then i say they are CRAZY FOOLS!!!!!

so cut your jibber jabber. d_oh.gif

I SEE WHAT YOU SAYING BRO BUT I WAS SPEAKING TO A SINGH IN BIRMINGHAM ABOUT THIS LAST YEAR AND HE SAID ITS A GOOD CHANCE TO PROMOTE SIKHI AND THEN WE JUST SAW WHAT HAPPEND AT THE MELA THERE. I THINK IT IS JUST THE ATMOSPHERE OF THESE MELAS THAT CANT BE CHANGED. MORE NEGATIVES THAN POSITIVES. COMMITTEES JUST WANT THERE OWN 'BALE BALE' AND DONT CARE ABOUT SIKHI REALLY.

yeah, like lets hav a sikh version of the taleban and ban all music, cultural activities, dress up as ninjas so no one can look at us, have our own sikh only schools, segregate ourselves from all the other communities we live in, call everyone a racist if we dont get our own way, apply for government grants to build the biggest gurudawaras under the guise of they will be for the whole community and all will be welcome and then fight in them between ourselves and ban people we dont like from coming to them and pay for the police to come with metal detectors on the days we change the commitees so we dont get unwanted people attending... etc. etc.

IF YOU GOT NO RESPECT FOR OPINIONS OF YOUR OWN BROTHERS AND SISTERS THEN KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT. YOU ARE TAKING THE MICKY OUT OF SOMEONE BY CALLING THEM A TALEBAN BUT YET YOURSELF YOU ARE JUDGING THEM AND STEREOTYPING THEM. LOOK AT YOURSELVES IN THE MIRROR.

THE LAST MELA I WENT TO HAD ALCOHOL AND MEAT STANDS. THE COMMITTEE SAID "WHAT CAN WE DO?" BUT HEY AT LEAST THEY AINT 'CRAZY FOOLS'.

you wanna take a chill pill, as i said only joking but if you wanna have a serious debate maybe u should start by trying to understand the irony of how we are starting to sound like other fundamental groups, such as the taleban, who have no tolerance of other faiths, cultures and traditions and wish to impose their way of life on anything that moves.

Instead of trying to ban everything why cant we try make the best out of a bad situation and educate people in what they are doing wrong and why. the mele provide a great opportunity to spread our faith and educate people.

If we continue to keep ourselves to ourselves and only talk to each other and the people in our own social comfort zones, i dont think sikhi will flourish as its meant to.

I do agree that the gurudawara and the comittees have a lot more to do when organising these events and they should take responsibility for the stalls, stands and food outlets that are allowed to attend, or they should stay out of them all together and make it clear that this is not a religous event.

and if the commitee that organised the mela that you went to that had alcohol and meat stands then i say they are CRAZY FOOLS!!!!!

I SEE WHAT YOU SAYING BRO BUT I WAS SPEAKING TO A SINGH IN BIRMINGHAM ABOUT THIS LAST YEAR AND HE SAID ITS A GOOD CHANCE TO PROMOTE SIKHI AND THEN WE JUST SAW WHAT HAPPEND AT THE MELA THERE. I THINK IT IS JUST THE ATMOSPHERE OF THESE MELAS THAT CANT BE CHANGED. MORE NEGATIVES THAN POSITIVES. COMMITTEES JUST WANT THERE OWN 'BALE BALE' AND DONT CARE ABOUT SIKHI REALLY.

Yes, i agree, but i also think that this years troubles at handsworth were an exception to the rule as it was because of committees and other parties giving it loads and fighting between themselves. Unfortunatley a lot of youth get used on both sides and end up paying the price.

but thats another story, would want anyone falling asleep on me.

back to the mele, personally i think that if they are better planned, they can work. An example being that this years handsworth mele, before the trouble had some really good points.

Example, everyone that wanted lungar had to go through the main sach khand tent and do mutha tek before they could get to the langar hall. Absolutely Fabulous idea, the que was massive and everyone paid there respects to guru ji before feeding their faces.

peace out, may you all live long and prosper. wjkk wjkf.

Yes, i agree, but i also think that this years troubles at handsworth were an exception to the rule as it was because of committees and other parties giving it loads and fighting between themselves. Unfortunatley a lot of youth get used on both sides and end up paying the price.

back to the mele, personally i think that if they are better planned, they can work. An example being that this years handsworth mele, before the trouble had some really good points.

Example, everyone that wanted lungar had to go through the main sach khand tent and do mutha tek before they could get to the langar hall. Absolutely Fabulous idea, the que was massive and everyone paid there respects to guru ji before feeding their faces.

I BEEN TO HANDSWORTH MELA ONCE AND I REMEMBER THE SINGHS HAVING A BAD TIME TRYING TO STOP FIGHTS AND MUSLIMS CAUSING TROUBLE. I WERENT THERE THIS YEAR SO I DONT KNOW BUT THE SINGHS TOLD ME A GROUP OF MUSLIM/PAKISTANI LADS WERE WAITING OUTSIDE TO CAUSE TROUBLE AGAIN. I UNDERSTAND MONTHS OF PLANNING WENT INTO THE MELA...WAS IT REALLY WORTH IT? ARE WE NOT BETTER OFF SPENDING THAT EFFORT SOMEWHERE ELSE?

excuse me, the trouble at handsworth was between our own sikhs. it could have actually been a good event had the smethwick gurdwara violence not started. the organisers actually made a positive effort this time to promote more dharam this time, it was the trouble of our own hot heads who ballsed the day up for everyone!

ooops, looks like i provoked an argument. What im trying to say is:

at a vaisakhi religious prog there should be maximum sikhi parchar.definitely no meat, no alcohol, no bhangra.if these kind of mele exist, then fair enough.

types that do exist- for example i once went to vasakhi in the sq at trafalgar sq. the first couple of hrs were fine-kirtan, katha etc.(out of about 6 hrs they gave bout 2 to religious stuff)

then afterwards it was just basically a gig. People were blatently not there for the religious aspect, they were there to get drunk and mess about with the opposite sex, i know this cos i met some mates (gals and boys) and they admitted this to me and they were proud to be doing it.(i know i got some messed up mates,but they still my bro's n sis's, and hopefully 1day maharaj will do kirpa).I don't agree with the taleban jibe cos sikhi is an open, interfaith, respectful religion, i just wish people would stop using the religion for their own means. I agree with 1 earlier brother that mele can educate, but im sorry most mele i bin to don't have langar, don't have anything on 84 and the closest they have to sikhi is the dtf stall!! maybe im going to the wrong parks!!

if you took guru ji, what would they think of their sikhs at these mele?? on a earlier thread it was discussed about guru ji punishing masands for looting sikhs,these mele committees are doin the same, i hear they charge loads for stalls.

A personally think the only reason we celebrate vasakhi is because the amrit sanchar was done then.so plaese don't use the cultural/harvest ploy.

apologies again if i've offended.

wjkk wjkf

excuse me, the trouble at handsworth was between our own sikhs. it could have actually been a good event had the smethwick gurdwara violence not started. the organisers actually made a positive effort this time to promote more dharam this time, it was the trouble of our own hot heads who ballsed the day up for everyone!

YOUR EXCUSED.

I DIDNT SAY THERE WAS ANY OTHER TROUBLE. BUT ITS BESIDES THE POINT. WHAT I AM SAYING IS WE CANT GET AWAY FROM THE FACT THAT THERE WILL ALWAYS BE TROUBLE OF SOME SORT. ONE YEAR IT WAS WHITE YOUTH ANOTHER MUSLIMS ANOTHER IT WILL BE SIKHS THEN IT WILL BE BLACK YOUTH THEN AND ON AND ON AND ON. I COMMEND ALL THE HARD WORK BUT PUT THE HARD EFFORT INTO ORGANISING SOMETHING ELSE. WE CAN CRY FOREVER THAT OUR OWN HOT HEAD BROTHERS CAUSED THE TROUBLE HAVE WE WONDERED THAT MAYBE IT WAS JUST HOW MAHARAJ WANTED IT.

People from Sikh Panjabi backgrounds who want to celebrate what is essentially "spring" have every right too!

It is true that something else BIG also happened on Vasaikhi with the emergence of the Khalsa. But you cant deny the older celebration either.

The fact that some tension occurs between various factions on this day doesn't mean we need to over react and start banning melas. If this logic is followed maybe we should shut down Gurdwaras because committees sometimes fight!!!

Live and let live. None of us are perfect. Let go of the judging, it just stems from ego.