Problems With My Dad

lol-at-me

vaheguroo ji ka khalsa,vaheguroo ji ki fateh!

erm im 18 and i live with my dad and grandmother and brother.no one in my family likes me getting up for amrit vela, and they swear when im reading my nitnem and that. they dont let me go gurdwara everyday anymore saying that there is no need to and that anything could happen to me. they have separated me from a lot of my sangat.they are constantly having a go at me and that and im not sure how much more i can take. i want to leave but is that right?cos no matter what hes still my dad n that.hes hindering my sikhi though

Guest Guest

They have got a problem and you need to sit down and speak to your family to find out what it is. Maybe they have heard of wrong going ons happening in your local sangat or people you hang around? or they just have no idea of what Sikhi is all about which will give you the chance to example to them and how it only makes you feel. All the best you just need to find out there problem and speak about it.

Guest _navjit_

you definitely shoudnt leave home...u will never find a place like home...and u wont find another dad and family. TRY AS MUCH AS U WANT. but try to sort it out..i am sure u could come to conclusion good luck

vaheguroo ji ka khalsa,vaheguroo ji ki fateh!

erm im 18 and i live with my dad and grandmother and brother.no one in my family likes me getting up for amrit vela, and they swear when im reading my nitnem and that. they dont let me go gurdwara everyday anymore saying that there is no need to and that anything could happen to me. they have separated me from a lot of my sangat.they are constantly having a go at me and that and im not sure how much more i can take. i want to leave but is that right?cos no matter what hes still my dad n that.hes hindering my sikhi though

Leaving isnt the answer. I used to have problems with my parents too, someone gave me advice that this is sort a test of your faith. Keep at it, you obviously owe these people something from a previous life, you have to balance your sikhi and your family. Many people do it, they most probably think that you are going through a phase so keep strong and show them that you are serious about sikhi. Always remember that you are guru's-sikh and you are representing your father guru gobind singh ji, therefore try not to back chat them or show disrespect towards them, be a good example for them and they will soon change.

Sorry if I have said anything wrong. Take care jee.

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fateh.

Guest random_singhni

you need to be straight foward with your family don't keep your thoughts to your self, question them like I dont understand why you dont want me getting into sikhi, you think im doing something bad at the gurdwara, you dont trust me, tell them that sikhi is important to you and you want to keep good relations with them, tell them its so disrespectful when they swear while your doing paat ,,,,,,,,,,,, i hope iv helped this is just my opinion i dont know how ur family is..............

yea..you should be like..."well you want me to go out and do drugs and come home at amrit vela being hammered..or me waking up doing something that will benefit all of us as a whole afterwards?....just talk to them first...see what the issue is....if ur nitnem is too loud...find another place in the house that can seclude you from ur housemembers...they do not allow u togot the gurdwara everyday? because they wont give u the car or drop you off? take a bus? call a cab?

and if it is a really big issue..i suggest get a job...find a place...your 18? you goto uni/college? live on campus...guru sahib will always help you

Guest Guest
Yeh try getting some older gursikhs in the area to speak with your family. Make sure you do a heartfelt ardas to mahraj to bless you and all your family with a gursikhi jeevan.

vahigurooo

vahigurujikakhalsa vahigurujikifateh

what if there are no elder gursikh?...what if such people are the kind of "mind your own biznez people"?...then what do I do?