1. 1. Do u have any martial skill

• Yes
    • No
    • Took some training long time back

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont mean to insult any1, but sikhs of today r far from wat they where bk in puratan tyms or in the 80's. jus the ova day a young singh i kno got beat up by a little white kid a year younger then himand half his size. he took his wallet of him and watch. the singh was to scared to do anything bk. he called sum older singhs to get it bk for him. this is a way to familiar occurance nowadays. uk sikh community seems to hav lost that warrior spirit. but i must admit things do seem to be getting better. i see all the young singhs i kno hitting the gym, gettin in the ring. hopefully gud signs for the futher.

Great Post Singh, it happens often and is ignored, your post is a great Eye Opener...

unfortunatly, thats true...instead of getting better were getting worser and fights like that are signs of it, this Topic is a great wake-up call to all YOUNG AND OLD SIKHS (All Paji's and Penji's and even Uncle Ji's and Baba Ji's if any are reading) because a Sant Sipahi needs to be tyar bar tyar. yes, it does seem hard at first when you start training and sparring and you get a good blow but a true warrior, when he decides to fight (obviosly, you should try to avoid a situation first) Fights hard and never gives up, even though he looks like he is in the odd's of getting battered. This is the stage that everyone (like myself, im nowhere near it) should be reaching and this comes from training and training hard and taking some knocks and blows when sparring people older and better than you.

I see gud signs in the future as well Singh!

you first have to discipline your mind in order to understand what you are doing (in everything)

That is the basic principle of all martial arts. I have done many martial arts and learned one thing from all of them. Discipline and conquer the warrior within.

You may know all of the martial arts in the world. But if you do not posses a disciplined mind, you will definately lose. In a fighting situation, the mind does not really think, it reacts as fast as it can. That means you hit blindly. Lots of energy is wasted and weak points are shown to the enemy. This can be death in seconds or severe injury.

oh well... running late, got to go.

Harsimran Singh, that is a good point...my last instructor, had stressed that point almost everyday. Discipline is key, with that you are able to control your energy and use it when needed.

However, it is up to the parents to put their children in these types of activites/sports to make them active..cuz sometimes kids just goto school get bullied and keep hush hush..and for a few..some take action.

I also blame...racist comments made by our elders.....my little cuzzins are petrified when they see black people...cuz my grandma/relatives chachay, mhamay whoever....Scare the living crap outta these kids, using the black stereotypes, black people are bad, sell drugs they have guns there violent and blah blah blah...

that also contributes to the fear of the younger kids. especially where i live (canada).

yes, it does seem hard at first when you start training and sparring and you get a good blow but a true warrior, when he decides to fight (obviosly, you should try to avoid a situation first) Fights hard and never gives up, even though he looks like he is in the odd's of getting battered. This is the stage that everyone (like myself, im nowhere near it) should be reaching and this comes from training and training hard and taking some knocks and blows when sparring people older and better than you.

i wish i listened to u during secondary school

Awesome point.

i have to steal the SS.com banner now; "Recognise all the human race as one"

teaching the young child about how the community around us, is both a good and a bad thing.

i certainly do not believe that just because you are black, your job is related to theft, robbery, murder, rape, drugs etc...

Whites are like this as well, asians, indians everyone. it is the certain individual who makes a difference for himself/herself. However it is good to make a community strong so that one may recognise it as a good community. But we should learn to stay away from such as the above case. I do understand that they want to protect the young ones, but it looks like they are over-protecting.

I had an incidence when i first came into high school. Some black kid (local) wanted to play around with my dastar. I told him to kindly stop and take a seat so that we could discuss my principles behind me wearing a dastar and why i wear it. He was reluctant and pushed me... I just had to give him one -- slammed him into the table and that was it... no other local guy or any other person would try such a stunt again.

At the end of the day, I did realise that actions speak louder than words. In addition, if you can beat up a person, it doesn't mean you should. There is limits to everthing. We all have our limit of toleration, it is understandable, that is why you need to discipline your mind first, you will understand all this easily and know what action to take in that situation.

A simple smile and walkaway could end the fight -- this is respect gained to yourself if you understand what i mean.

I had an incidence when i first came into high school. Some black kid (local) wanted to play around with my dastar. I told him to kindly stop and take a seat so that we could discuss my principles behind me wearing a dastar and why i wear it. He was reluctant and pushed me... I just had to give him one -- slammed him into the table and that was it... no other local guy or any other person would try such a stunt again.

similiar thing happened to me once to. Except instead of a black guy it was white and there were 3 of them.

what ways have you tried to resolve this issue. Obviously fighting is the last option available.

If nothing happens, you will just have to trash one, others will understand from the "mhar" you gave them. This is what happened in my case.

But try contacting the admin etc... hope this gets resolved. Hope there are other singhs and singhnees to support you, i had none.

OK, lets get this topic back on track...

I also blame...racist comments made by our elders.....my little cuzzins are petrified when they see black people...cuz my grandma/relatives chachay, mhamay whoever....Scare the living crap outta these kids, using the black stereotypes, black people are bad, sell drugs they have guns there violent and blah blah blah...

I agree, and most people have had that before. Non of that is in any way Good or Helpful to the child, plus its promoting Racism (Race Hatred) and giving all black people a bad name (even though he may be a really really good guy).

However, it is up to the parents to put their children in these types of activites/sports to make them active..cuz sometimes kids just goto school get bullied and keep hush hush..and for a few..some take action.

So true...this is very important is todays age, especially where lazyness and obessity is taking over the world (the influence of TV, video games, fastfoods, microwave chips and what not) which doesn't get you very far (unless its to do with Sikhi ofcouse). Everyone needs to develop the habit of excercising, its essential (especially in young children, so they are not influenced by all the stuff i mentioned above.

you first have to discipline your mind in order to understand what you are doing (in everything)

That is the basic principle of all martial arts. I have done many martial arts and learned one thing from all of them. Discipline and conquer the warrior within.

You may know all of the martial arts in the world. But if you do not posses a disciplined mind, you will definately lose.

great point, discipline is key. MAN JEETAI JAG JEET

Fights are won by the side that has the best discipline (wether the fight be a huge yudh/battle or a little spar). You can tell by who is good fighter easily, because the good fighter will shake your hand and give you a helpful constructive comment (and even take one...and say thanks in return) even when you dont know him and he doesn't know you. This shows that he has no ego (or has very good control over it), because he has nothing to prove to anyone.

On the other hand, the crap warrior will do the opposite (swear, curse, diss etc...) in attemp to prove or give people the illusion that he is good, when he is not.