Mool Mantar Translated

sibya

WJKK WJKF.....

I have a child who I am teaching the Mool Mantar first to recite in Punjabi and soon as he grows, he will need to have understanding of what he is reciting (for I believe this is the singly greatest mistake Sikh parents don't do as compared to muslims even to a small degree.)

It is often stated by Sikh Scholars that the essence of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji's teachings (and in effect Sikhism's) was in the Mool Mantar and everything is related to it.

Also interpretation is obviously subjective but below is what I am comfortable with (though for my child it will be simplified again)

Please read and share:

In the name of

The one God. Ik Onkar

Whose name is Truth. Satnam

The Creator. Karta

Who is present in all Creation. Purakh

Who fears none. Nirbhao

Who hates none. Nirvair

An immortal being beyond time. Akal Murat

Unborn. Ajuni

Self existent. Saibhang

attainable only through divine grace. Gur Prasad

Meditate. Jap

for True in the Beginning. Ad Sach

True throughout the Ages. Jugad Sach

True even Now. Hai be Sach

says Nanak,Truth will always be here. Nanak, hosi be Sach

Rgds

Sibya

The bit after Gur Prasad - I was always taught that:

Jap = Repeat

Aad Such = HE was True in the Beginning

Jugad Such = HE was True throughout the Ages

Hai Be Such = HE is True now.

Nanak Hosai Be Such = He will always be here.

I always thought that 'He' referred to God himself, so God was True (ie present), has been and always will be True.

Everything else matches up! :TH:

sibya - I think it would be a good idea to keep your gender neutral thing going on for the last part for Waheguru is formless.

I've always had problems translating purakh _ I don't why I have some "male" theme in my head stuck in association with that word?

Also murat. Does it not stem from the same source as muratee. muratee is commonly used to describe pictures or representations.

So could akal murat translate "representation of immortality" - crap I know....

Hiya,

DalSingh101,

I more comfortable myself with it being gender neutral also for some reason, and forgive me though I can't see where it isn't?

Wicked Warrior I think were more or less similar in translation...

Also

in regard to "Akal Moorat", I've studied a variety of texts some saying an "undying image" or along those lines which is more literal I know, though at present I believe it is meant to be an "immortal being beyond time" which is more metaphorical and encompassing to myself...however I am open to persuasion

Guest Narinder Singh
Mool Mantar ends at "gurparsad" and not at "nanak hosi bhi sach".

Fateh.

I saw this coming :lol: chalo larro hun tongue.gif

There's nothing to fight about, its written in the Sikh Rehit Maryada. :|

If people dont accept whats written in the Rehit Maryada, then they dont accept Guru Sahibs hukam.

Fateh.

THere are currently two schools of thought on this topic. One is that the Mool Mantar ends at Gurparsad which is accepted by the new schools of thought such as the AKj, 3HO and scholars. The second schools of thought state that the mool mantra ends at Nanak Hosi Bhi Sach, these schools as Nihangs, Nirmalas, Sewapanthis, Udasis, Damdami Taksal Sant Samaj and all mahapursh

The mool mantra has numerous meanings, for more details of the meanings please listen to the Jap Ji sahib katha by Giani Thakur Singh or better then that would be reading the steeks of Damdami Taksal and Sato Gali

Narinder Singh, I found it slightly humorous you make that statement considering you have a picture of Sant Ji as your avatar who comes from a long history of students and teachers all who adamantly claim that mool mantr ends at 'Nanak Hosi Bhi Sach'. Interestingly all opuratan sampradava and taksals and other institutions support the full mantr and place great importance on it mool mantr Jaap.

Contrarily most if not all the schools of thought within sikh who promote mool mantr until Gurparsad all seem to have surfaced within the Sikh Panth during or after the British Raaj and tend not to place great importance on mool mantr jaap as Sants, Taksalis and Nihangs and other puratan institutions do.

For a comprehensive discussion on mool mantr and maha mantr (Ikonkar - Gurparsad) please refer to the Sato Galo Teeka (Amir Bhandar which is considered by many as the most comprehensive teeka of Aad Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji) and read or listen to the katha on 16th (maybe 17th) Astpadee of Sukhmani Sahib. From a sampradava prespective and the logic of the arguement used, you will see it comes down to 'Read the mool mantr until Gurparsad if you think you are of the avasta of Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaj'.

I think perhaps the most informative katha on the internet regarding this is is the katha by Baba Hari Singh who I believe studied within the same instution as Sant Jarnail Singh Ji, the link to his katha can be find below.

http://www.gurmatveechar.org/audio/katha/B...antar.Nirna.mp3

Here is a link to 108 Mool Mantr Jaap By Sant Baba Nihal Singh Nihang of Harianvela -

http://gurmatveechar.org/audio/Gurbani_Uch...Mantar.Jaap.mp3

If after listening to the katha by Baba Hari Singh who wish to refute his points you are entirely entiitled to do so. Whether someone read till Gurparsad or till Nanaak Hosi Bhi Sach, its good that they read Gurbani. However, they should not falsely lead other into doing what they are.

Gyani Thakur SInghs katha on mool mant (also on gurmat veechar) is in great depth, i also suggest you listen to that and by listening to katha of these greate vidhvans i hope that your doubts shall be cleared, if not you may refute their arguements.

I personally didnt think there was much need for your comment, however, as you posted it I felt it was important to post the link to the katha so that members of the sangat can choose for themselves.

God Bless us all, Akaaal.