What Type Of Metal Did Guru Gobind Singh Ji's Shaster Have?

djpure

Waheguru Ji KA Khalsa, Waheguru Ji KE Fathe

Dear Sangat Ji

I need to know the above, and also which one is better? grin.gif

I have also heard that the true sarbloh was Damascus and not pure iron as Damascus does no rust (unless put in sea water or salt water).

Please could some help me?

Waheguru Ji KA Khalsa, Waheguru Ji KE Fathe

Thank You

Modern day "sarbloh" is the worst choice for any type of weapon apart from a kara, or a bludgening shastar like a khanda or gurj. Even then the composition of sarbloh makes it extremely heavy and bulky, not something you would want to carry on the battlefield fighting for hours on end.

Any weapon that requires a drag to cut, requires a steel which maintains its edge. "Sarbloh" is a soft metal which loses its edge almost instantly. Damascus, Wootz and other high quality metals are more lighter, stronger, and maintain their edge perfectly, which would you take with you to protect your life?

Modern day "sarbloh" is the worst choice for any type of weapon apart from a kara, or a bludgening shastar like a khanda or gurj. Even then the composition of sarbloh makes it extremely heavy and bulky, not something you would want to carry on the battlefield fighting for hours on end.

Any weapon that requires a drag to cut, requires a steel which maintains its edge. "Sarbloh" is a soft metal which loses its edge almost instantly. Damascus, Wootz and other high quality metals are more lighter, stronger, and maintain their edge perfectly, which would you take with you to protect your life?

yh but then wwhat happens to "sarbloh di rachhia hamne"?, im pretty sure guroo sahib had a reason for choosing sarbloh as our weapon metal. Maybe not physically, but i think spiritually sarbloh has a special power.

Correct, but the meaning has 2 interpretations.

1 - Sarbloh can be All Iron as in 100% pure iron, but 100% pure iron is as strong as mud, it requires high amounts of carbon to be mixed to give it strength, hence no longer being pure / all iron.

2 - Sarbloh can be a weapon which is made of all iron/metal. For example a tulwar is sarbloh because it is completely constructed of metal. A Khanda is sarbloh because its comlpetely made of metal. A Pesh kabz cannot be seen as sarbloh because they have ivory, jade, bone, wooden hilts.

Then again its not said that all weapons have to be sarbloh, as the Gurus own weapons have hilts made with ivory, jade and horns.

Correct, but the meaning has 2 interpretations.

1 - Sarbloh can be All Iron as in 100% pure iron, but 100% pure iron is as strong as mud, it requires high amounts of carbon to be mixed to give it strength, hence no longer being pure / all iron.

Its not really high amounts of carbon. Carbon added to iron varies from 0.1 % to 2%.

yh but then wwhat happens to "sarbloh di rachhia hamne"?

nothing happens to it coz if u read the whole stanza of 4 lines (isnt hard) then u'll know he's referring to akaal purakh..

Sarabloh = All Steel Lord ie: Most powerful.

AND btw the sarabloh u lot are talking about.. are u sure its pure iron.. not just unrefined steel?

I have seen 2 types of teghas in Patiala and during HOLA MOHALA in ANANDPUR SHAIB AT MOHALA belongs to BUDDHA DAL AND IS HEAVIER but KIRPANS SHOPA NEAR DUKHNIVARAN SHAIB SELLS LIGHTER TEGHAS which is better although I have two guns but have more faith in teghas buddha dal tegha is sharper but others say lighters are better suggest which to buy.

erm, well, loha=iron, so sarbloh=all iron hana?

loha generally means steel or carbon steel or any steel metal...i think...

2 - Sarbloh can be a weapon which is made of all iron/metal. For example a tulwar is sarbloh because it is completely constructed of metal. A Khanda is sarbloh because its comlpetely made of metal. A Pesh kabz cannot be seen as sarbloh because they have ivory, jade, bone, wooden hilts.

Yes, thats why (i think) Guru Ji told us to wear Shaster that where made from Sarbloh (all-iron/steel) - because they are much harder, stronger and forged in one piece (full tang) rather than bolted on to a hilt made seperatly - therefore their isn't a risk of the sarabloh shaster's blade snapping, braking or disconnecting with the hilt.

The type of steel/iron that you would want your shaster to be would up to you. In emergancy's where loads of weapons had to be made really quick and cheaply but still reliable and have the ability to sharpen, Iron would be your best choice. Where as when you had enough time and wanted a Shaster strong, light, decorated, well-built and you had enough time to have it made, damascus could be used.

...thats just my interpratation.