Bhangra

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read the whole topic very interestingly. It went from all kinda turns, tense, light, argue and at last enjoyment!!!!.

But i cud not resent myself from expressing my views on this.

What i feel is, Religions is a thing which u always have to follow if ya want to claim the identity of that religion. Its clearly visible that its nowhere in the granth about not dancing. Just think about always naam japna and kirt karni always in the Gurudwara, its gud and an ideal figure. But cummon man, a man also needs some colour and enjoyment in life. Dancing is a very healthy and gud way to express ur joy and happiness. Even today i always think a pary to be incomplete without dancing. Its true that how can u meditate on god while dancing?? But do we always have to concentrate on the almighy?? What about the whole 'khel' he has made for us?? I say that do all the banis of nitname, concentrate on the almighty but also take care of

the society too man.

Secondly about religion and culture is concerned, we have a religion to abide, with a culture to abide. Who says that a religion and culture dont go hand in hand??? The religion and cuture are our two identities. No one will recognize us without dastar and no one will also recognize us without our native language etc. We have to take gud care of our dying culture. The talks of Bibies and alcohol in the songs does not indicate a dying religion but a dying CULTURE. Our religion is strong enough to not die. Proud singhs like Sant Bhindranwale will be always there due to the spirit that guruji has filled in us. But our culture is certainly dying, Save it man save it. I feel it in more danger when such debates opposing Bhangra are started. Bhangra is our identity man.

The juice- I have no objection with Bhangra and feel very proud when performing it.

Oye Chukk De Dholi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BBBBBBBrrrrrrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Now discussing about the drinking debate which showed up in middle, i think drinking for an amritdhari is a great taboo and shud be striktly dealt with if found. However, i think that drinking for a non-amritdhari is a bit okay as he has not completely took khalsa right now. Although i think that its not gud to drink for the purpose of 'nasha'. Drink in less amount for the 'feel' u want. Or at the time of a party or something. This is what i have to say as a younger brother as i know that drinking can show an ugly head up!!!

I dont want to debate on meat as firstly it is against the rules and secondly its a highly Polarized topic.

P.S- I never drank and never think of drinking in future.

Saluting the spirit of Bhangra Once Again...........................

Nachde Punjabi Munde Munhre Dhol De, Dhak Dhak Nadian De Dil Dolde........

Siftan Sunavan Behisaab Haaniyon, Eh Hai Mera RANGLA PUNJAB Haniyon..................

BBBBBBRRRRRRUUUUUUUUAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^ Interesting points above by Putt Jatt Da regarding culture etc.

Just one thing about meditating on Akaal Purakh. I think the point of life is to do that with every breath, even if though it can be in many different ways. But many of us aren't yet at the stage where that remembrance comes naturally, so maybe that's what makes it seem impossible/less appealing. I think Sikhi is a way of life rather than just a regular religion and definately not a part-time job. But we are all on different rungs of the ladder, so what matters is our intentions and our effort-levels.

^ Interesting points above by Putt Jatt Da regarding culture etc.

Just one thing about meditating on Akaal Purakh. I think the point of life is to do that with every breath, even if though it can be in many different ways. But many of us aren't yet at the stage where that remembrance comes naturally, so maybe that's what makes it seem impossible/less appealing. I think Sikhi is a way of life rather than just a regular religion and definately not a part-time job. But we are all on different rungs of the ladder, so what matters is our intentions and our effort-levels.

I toatally agree to the point that sikhi is a way of life. The way of life u are talking about is the sikhi code of conduct. But just think about it singhni ji, we are not great bhagats or equivalent to the great bhagats our Gurujis have been. Just think about it, if we do meditate on god all the time, are we then less than a genuine bhagat or jogi??? Can every man in the world be a great bhagat?? We have a social life to take care of. My point is that-

Sukh Wele Shukrana,

Dukh Wele Ardas,

Har wele simran.

Har wele simran here means that one should do the nitnaim daily. Although even this is not practically very possible. I think about 98% ppl on this forum must not be doing regular nitnaim (e.i all banis from morning to night). I am not justifying the not doing nitnaim thing, but telling ya what happens and why happens. I did not say that sikhi is a part time job, i said that simran is a part time job. I mean u just cant go on reciting all the time.

Bhul Chuk Maaf Karni Nimaane vir Di.

WJKK WJKF.

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

Bhai Putt Jatt Da Ji, I have the urge to dissect your post SS-style but I really don't want to argue very much about this as it seems we have a few philosophical differences tongue.gif . Please don't take this as a personal attack on you - as you can see I usually reserve my personal attacks for Akirtghan/Papi only *chuckles*.

But just think about it singhni ji, we are not great bhagats or equivalent to the great bhagats our Gurujis have been. Just think about it, if we do meditate on god all the time, are we then less than a genuine bhagat or jogi???

I know most of us aren't great Bhagats, sorry if I implied that. I'm sorry I don't understand your second sentence.

We have a social life to take care of.

By social life I hope you meant householder's life or 'gristhi jeevan'. Guru Saheb is very clear on this. Search for 'sitting standing' on Sikhitothemax. The shabad that comes to mind is 'ootath betath har har dhiyaayeeai'.

Can every man in the world be a great bhagat??

(In theory, yes, as I am perhaps naive and believe that anything is possible if God wills it to be lol.)

It's unlikely that every man/woman/those-who-are-unsure-as-yet will be a great 'Bhagat'. However, as we have been given the jewel of Gursikhi the chance for us is quite a bit higher. Even then Guru Saheb says that only a few in a billion attain their purpose in life. See this Shabad by Guru Nanak Dev Ji as an example.

Sukh Wele Shukrana,

Dukh Wele Ardas,

Har wele simran.

Sounds like a good plan. d_oh.gif

Har wele simran here means that one should do the nitnaim daily.

grin.gif Yes, one should do Nitnem daily. There are also many different types of medidating on Guru Saheb, I think if you look on www.guptpaapi.blogspot.com there is an article on this.

However I firmly believe that there is also a need for 'Japping Naam' at Amritvela, this helps to focus and discipline the mind and also is the pathway for loving our King. See this verse also by Guru Nanak Dev Ji. The line 'mooray raam japuh gun saar' is very explicit.

Although even this is not practically very possible.

It is practically extremely possible, it's just the the majority of us are too weak to make it probable.

I think about 98% ppl on this forum must not be doing regular nitnaim (e.i all banis from morning to night). I am not justifying the not doing nitnaim thing, but telling ya what happens and why happens.

God knows, but I understand your point.

I did not say that sikhi is a part time job,

I'm sorry if I implied that you did say this - the part-time-job phrase is one I often use to paint the picture. Only God knows what you really think about Sikhi and I won't attempt to pretend to read through your mind.

I said that simran is a part time job.

Simran does seem to be a part-time job for most of us thesedays, but that doesn't mean that it should be. For hundreds of Shahbads regarding this issue please search Sikhitothemax for 'twenty four hours' or 'eight watches of the day' or alternatively just do Sehaj Paath and read the whole of Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Guru Saheb makes the Truth crystal clear.

I mean u just cant go on reciting all the time.

This is a fundamental difference between Sikhi and other religions, but there are many topics both on Sikhsangat and DiscoverSikhi regarding those differences. The problem is that we think we "can't" recite 24-7, and is a sense this is true as only Akaal Purakh can give us that blessing. However it is possible, and many gupt Gurmukhs are living proof. It is a concept unimagineable to the likes of me as I am still worrying about my social life or non-social life as the case may be :wub: .

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

Although this is not the correct thread we are doing this debate as it has a tottaly different topic but dont want to leave the discussion in b/w. So i am going to answer ur way.........

I know most of us aren't great Bhagats, sorry if I implied that. I'm sorry I don't understand your second sentence.

My second sentence was that we can be called a jogi or a great bhagat if we meditate on god 24/7 but thats not possible (According to me, as most of us have a highly unstable mind). ALthough i dont EVER suggest not to follow that.

By social life I hope you meant householder's life or 'gristhi jeevan'. Guru Saheb is very clear on this. Search for 'sitting standing' on Sikhitothemax. The shabad that comes to mind is 'ootath betath har har dhiyaayeeai'.

I was not talking about the household life as i am not in a position to talk about it as yet coz i have yet not dealt with that aspect of life. I will also mention here that our gurujis have also not told us to totally stay away from such life as u see that they were also householders. But their sole attention was on god. I can suggest others others to be like them although i know we cannot acomplish such a task in the 'Kalyug' which such great souls did. I dont blame 'Kalyug' or dont give this word as an excuse though.

Can every man in the world be a great bhagat??
It's unlikely that every man/woman/those-who-are-unsure-as-yet will be a great 'Bhagat'. However, as we have been given the jewel of Gursikhi the chance for us is quite a bit higher. Even then Guru Saheb says that only a few in a billion attain their purpose in life. See this Shabad by Guru Nanak Dev Ji as an example.

I agree that gursikhi is more Centered on god and hence we have a greater chance according to maths, u cannot catch infinity even if u multiply with a REALY large number. (feel the sarcasm).

However I firmly believe that there is also a need for 'Japping Naam' at Amritvela, this helps to focus and discipline the mind and also is the pathway for loving our King. See this verse also by Guru Nanak Dev Ji. The line 'mooray raam japuh gun saar' is very explicit.

I said it before only bhenji. Nitnaim includes the daily banis includint the Amritvela banis as Japji Sahib.

It is practically extremely possible, it's just the the majority of us are too weak to make it probable.

U may curb the same sentence as any way u want. But the truth remains the same, many of us dont do Nitnaim due to practicle limitations.

God knows, but I understand your point.

Pleased to know that...........

Simran does seem to be a part-time job for most of us thesedays, but that doesn't mean that it should be. For hundreds of Shahbads regarding this issue please search Sikhitothemax for 'twenty four hours' or 'eight watches of the day' or alternatively just do Sehaj Paath and read the whole of Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Guru Saheb makes the Truth crystal clear.

From my sentence, i was saying it from the prespective of Nitnaim. Nitnaim includes banis for specific time of the day. So it naturally isnt meant for 24/7. Its more important to use the teachings from Nitnaim in daily life than to just recite it. The motive of sehaj paath is the same, but i dont think i will understand what the great souls wrote as i am a Mahamurakh.

I mean u just cant go on reciting all the time.
This is a fundamental difference between Sikhi and other religions, but there are many topics both on Sikhsangat and DiscoverSikhi regarding those differences. The problem is that we think we "can't" recite 24-7, and is a sense this is true as only Akaal Purakh can give us that blessing. However it is possible, and many gupt Gurmukhs are living proof. It is a concept unimagineable to the likes of me as I am still worrying about my social life or non-social life as the case may be :wub: .

I am not interested in other religions as i know that sikhi is superior. I am not being a racist there but thats what my mind after lots of thinking concludes. We think we cant recite 24/7 due to practicle limitations. Will a human not sleep??. Every human cares about the social life dear singhni ji. Although i agree to the part that anything is possible with akaal purakh's blessings.

I also agree to the part that we differ a lot in Philosophy. Actually the thing is i accept the things that are not possible for me. If doing the recitation 24/7 is possible for u, then i guess u are a superior human being than me. coz u are not ready to accept that its practically not possible.

Chhote vir di bhul chuk maaf karni................

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh.

I am not interested in other religions as i know that sikhi is superior. I am not being a racist there but thats what my mind after lots of thinking concludes. We think we cant recite 24/7 due to practicle limitations. Will a human not sleep??. Every human cares about the social life dear singhni ji. Although i agree to the part that anything is possible with akaal purakh's blessings.

I also agree to the part that we differ a lot in Philosophy. Actually the thing is i accept the things that are not possible for me. If doing the recitation 24/7 is possible for u, then i guess u are a superior human being than me. coz u are not ready to accept that its practically not possible.

I can understand why you think it's hard to recite baani every minute of the day. (I was talking about naam-japping/thinking about Maharaj - that can be done even when you sneeze and say Vaheguru or when it seems like Maharaj is testing you during the day at work etc.) I've met people who seem to have Gurbani going round their heads all the time. In Bhai Randhir Singh's book he describes sitting an exam whilst doing Bhagti. I know it seems impossible and sounds crazy. (Guru Saheb also says to give up your head to Maharaj and forget about other people's opinions. I don't even know why I'm typing this, you probably know it all anyway.)

I think it's a bit sad that you have already accepted these things are not possible for you, but it's your choice. I suppose in the end Maharaj knows what is and isn't possible for each and every one of us, and what matters is the effort we put in.

I'll stop now.