I Don't Believe

Guest _unknown_

Guest _unknown_

I have a huge problem - I don't believe in God..this is not one of those I am confused posts cos I've read around and spoke to people and I just don't understand anything thats supernatural. I don't believe in ghosts, I don't even believe in re-incarnation cos karma simply does not make sense. I also don't believe anything happens when you die.

I do however like being a good human being and I value all the life teachings of sikhi alot such as keeping kesh....I'm worried now what people will think of me if I appear to be Sikh and I then tell them that I do not believe in God. What do I do?? :wub:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wierd - why do you not believe in God?

Is it because you can't see/hear Him? Remember, God is beyond our comprehension and grasp. Trying to look for God is like trying to measure the mass of the universe using a 15cm ruler - there is nothing in existence, nor will there ever be, some tool or device that allows us to detect/see God.

Is it doubt? Some people look at the world and then believe He can't exist because of all the suffering in the world. With respect to reincarnation and karma - imagine this: you are a young child. You've done something bad that your parents told you not to do. They then decide to punish you - for three weeks, you're grounded. That's 21 days. You don't quite understand why you're being punished, just that you are and that you hate them as a result. Now also imagine that instead of 21 days, it's 21 lifetimes. Your punishment can and may last longer than a lifetime. Sometimes one lifetime isn't long enough for you to undergo the suffering that you've accumulated.

Death The problem with death/dying is that you don't know what's going to happen until you're dead. Rare are those that come back from the dead. As with God, just because you can't see/hear something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Sikhi If you don't believe in Sikhi, which is based on you merging with God, then it's probably a good idea to stop dressing like a Sikh. If you're that worried about people and what they think of you, then do something about it.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

There are two answers: either look deeper, or walk away. Both are honest options. I would recommend some reading, books like "god's debris" by scott addams that try to bridge between athiest and faith. But at the end of the day, its your choice. But be honest to yourself, pick one, and stand by it :wub:

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Guest Guest

I dunno how to write down what I mean by this but the older I got the more I felt like God was a concept not a substance or thing. I then tried to understand karma - i was told we were born due to the actions we did in our past life - but what made us get born in the first place?

The next bit I am going to explain is rather more complex. I believe people do their own actions and they are responsible for the world. For example I might be born into a rich family who is the minority in a prejudiced country. Then the leader of the country attacks us and my family become poor. People might say this is in my karma and God did it.

I don't see it like that. I am poor because of what the leader of the country did. I therefore see the world as a mixture of people's actions. You basically get lucky cos they might go in your favour or you may have to suffer but thats all down to chance.

I therefore believe that we are collectively responsible for each other's life...and people from the past may play a part depending on how far their doings extend into the future.

I believe when I die thats the end of me. I am no more. There will be no sort of judgement or anything. I believe I am the jusge of my life, I am the judge of if I want to help other people and I am the judge of if I want to cause further damage in the world - all of this is something I do in my everyday life.

I like sikhi alot because it gave me perspective on myself, on the reality of ego, greed etc. On the reason of why its better to burn bodies, keep hair etc. I feel almost like a wise man with all the teachings however I only see God as a concept to prehaps make people realise this unity we all have...

I'm not sure what else to write but I've really really tired hard to think there is a God.

Guest Akirtghan

good luck trying to understand something human brain can't even being to comprehend :TH: i've tried a number of times and given up.

its faith, you are just suppose to have it.

Guest Guest

Start off by doing good actions.

Go to the Gurdwara, do seva. Serve the needy, serve the homeless.

Look to other inspirational souls and see how they live their everyday life.

Look into their eyes, look into their hearts. Watch their hands work as they do Seva selflessly.

Become a good human being first.

Eliminate your self-conceit, ego, hatred, lust, anger, greed, pride and attachment. Eliminate your "you" - become a good human being that is actually able to make a difference in this world.

Once you do all of this, you will realize God within yourself, your own heart, and every single vibration - visible or not - around you. You will notice and feel God in all the trees, plants, flowers, in all of the vegetation, and in all human beings and animals. You will become God, you will radiate God, you will live God.

First, give up your ego. Be open. Walk with love. That's all you need to do. Everything else will be done - by Him. Just start walking on the path, don't stop. Walk with humble love for truth, for humanity, for goodness. You will be rewarded.

Guest Narinder Singh
I have a huge problem - I don't believe in God..this is not one of those I am confused posts cos I've read around and spoke to people and I just don't understand anything thats supernatural. I don't believe in ghosts, I don't even believe in re-incarnation cos karma simply does not make sense. I also don't believe anything happens when you die.

I do however like being a good human being and I value all the life teachings of sikhi alot such as keeping kesh....I'm worried now what people will think of me if I appear to be Sikh and I then tell them that I do not believe in God. What do I do?? :wub:

Sikhi doesnt focus on before and after, Sikhi is about the here and now. Guru Sahib uses all this karams, heaven-hell, reincarnation thinking as a way to reach out to people who believe in those ways.

As for believing in God, you dont have to get all super-philosophical. We can use the example of a painting, in order for a painting to even exist their has to be a painter, whether or not one has met or even seen the painter is irrelevant.

Fateh.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Well you seem to have a very intelligent view on that. I agree with your post (4 posts up), in that a lot of what occurs is a direct result of our actions. Now let me tell you about a little secret called "probability theory"

When you do an action, potentially there are an infinite number of results. THEORETICALLY anything can happen to anyone at anytime. However out of the billions of possibilities, only a handful are regularly chosen based on probability. So if I run a red light, maybe i hit someone, maybe i don't, maybe i get a ticket, maybe i goto jail, but I don't turn into a frog.

I consider this because these are God's laws at work. Out of the possibly billions of outcomes, only a few are "possible". Now this is an example where God literally helps choose my options... indirectly. I feel that much of what we see and choose operates like that. So we perceive everything as our own actions but in reality, its only possible because of the natural laws that exist.

In fact, the goal of physics since Newton has been to discover a universal law, a single universal theory that describes all matter/energy/forces in the universe. It seems like they are well on their way. Matter and energy have been found to be the same thing. Energy (electricity) has been found to be a product of magnetism. Gravity is a result of exchanging particles (matter). Slowly we will discover that the entire universe operates under a single theory... a single law. And so I leave to you to answer, every law/equation has a constant... when we find that universal law, who set that constant? For even if the constant were 1/trillion different, the universe would not exist in its present form.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

look at the universe how can their not be a God. Don't be silly either your not a Sikh in the first place or you havent read the Scriptures and just had your kesh,etc for the sake of it.

Do some research and you will come to see that all this we see around us is intelligent design from a supreme being. The question should be not if there is a God or not BUT what form or concept of God you believe in.

Sikhism believes in a spiritual God not a physical one that resides in clouds in heaven sitting on throne controlling things. We all as humans, as living beings, are vessals that carry the soul, the spirit that is of our one God.

Guest Akirtghan

convo b/w Joan and God

Joan: why do you keep following me? who are you?

god: i'm god !!!

Joan: watever

god: well, it is your choice to believe or not

joan: if you are god, then show me a miracle

god: ok here (*points to a tree*)

joan: thats just a tree !!!

god: lets see you make one (*smiles*)