Anand Karaj Ceremonies

Guest Dancing Warrior

You guys do realise that this isn’t going to happen due mainly to the fact that most Sikhs are not Amritdari let alone Keshdari etc, If you try to enforce some of whats being stated the very people you are trying to reach out to you will only shun.

The problem here lies with the fundamental route of our community the way its evolving and the kind and quality of education that is being propagated. This is where the problem is if you address the core issue of systematic failings in Family, Community and Religious education you won’t be needing to bend peoples arms when they do their lama!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh,

Strict adherence to time.

No endless speaches.

No more then three milnies.

No gold ring for the grooms father . ( Having demanded such ring, he will show total surprise when it is produced at the milni and then proceed to say "no ji, no ji" but at the same time pushing forward his ring finger in the direction to the said ring. The ring wants to be found guys, the One ring rules them all !)

All money given to ragies - goes to the ragies.

All shoes off when milni adrass out side

All heads covered at milni adraas

No dholes. tongue.gif

There’s no denying that we are in a time of diminishing appreciation for Sikh maryada and teachings. Just looking back 30 years or so ago, you would find more value was given to Sikh ceremonies and Sikh beliefs. Over a fairly rapid period of time the adoption of modernity and non-Gurmat values have taken over the community resulting in a dilution of Sikh values. Sikh maryada is being crafted to make life easier for our devolving community, where once Amrit was staunchly preached; today the topic is very delicately handled so as not to offend people. Anand Karajs and Akhand Paths are just seen ritualistic acts that are performed for the sake of it without any consideration or thought being given to the betterment of our own lives or society in general.

We are now in a self created situation that will take a period of time to restore, where the Gurdwara and Maryada has been left open for abuse by “Sikhs” themselves. I fully agree that we cannot expect to make overnight “radical” rules because in the haste of quick fixes we can generate a bigger problem. If on one side people think they should stop “mixed” marriages being performed in Guru Ghars then we could see more people going to halls/hotels to carry out Anand Karajs, thus creating another problem.

Rather than expecting something sweeping and radical from our leaders, I think we need to personally take charge in mentoring our immediate/extend families and friends, interacting with them and discussing Maryada, Gurbani, Ithaas. This again means focus on our own Jeevans, before we decide to preach to the world because there’s nothing more hypocritical than being a hypocrite. Not only should we not feel embarrassed about looking like a Sikh, we should also not feel embarrassed in discussing Sikhi. Second and third generation Punjabis need to comprehend that there’s intensity and depth to Sikhi beyond mere family rituals and formalities, perhaps then we will begin to re-cultivate a stronger appreciation of the Anand Karaj.

Also the Kalgi what grooms decide to wear? I believe they should be banned. I believe nowadays its become to much of a Brahman thing, i remember at my cousins wedding in June, the cha melni was held in the Gurudwara, they left it in such a mess, i asked the mother of the bride who was going to clean this up, she goes oh we've paid the commitee. I grabbed my bro and cousins and decided to clean the room, If you look at the difference when they want to clean the Reception hall because of the cost they'll face. Its a disgrace

Khalsa Fateh

I was speaking to my mother about when she got married a whiles back. She said that back then, brides wore white and the Anand Karaj was finished at sunrise. When did it change to being later and later until it now happens 1-2pm?

I also remember going to one wedding where the groom symbolically removed his Kalgi and placed it at the foot of Maharaj. When did kalgis come into use during anand karaj's? Is it a bad thing if you wear it and then give it to Guru Maharaj, since he is the True King?

What about the maya bit, where they give money and the women do silly things, waving the money around their heads before placing it in the chola? How did this come about?

I don't know who of us will get married and who won't but I believe that whoever out of us gets married should have Anand Karaj the proper way just to show everyone else how it's done.

I for one (if I ever get married) will have my Anand Karaj at something like 4am. Though it's more to annoy the guests :wub: Imagine the look on peoples' faces when they realise how early it is :wub:

Very constructive suggestions !

1 what are the objective of this ?

then ask yourself five question

a . is it practical?

b. is it right ?

c. any counter effects of it?

d. Do we need this?

e. would this benefit the Sikhs ?

======================================

Answers:

1 Think objectively what do you want to achieve

Stop the anti Gurmat things in the Gurdwares ==>>>> quite a good mission.

then ask yourself five question

a . is it practical?

90% of Sikhs in UK are not kashadhari never mind Amrit dhari , out of them 50% will not even be able to tell you the first Five Gurus of Sikhs, Five Banis for morning and their are families who have not even 1 person in the family who have 5K’s.

What we going to do about these people ?

b. is it right ?

Yes it is right / must be right / most of the Sikhs ( Ok pretending Sikhs) don’t even know what the hell this talk is about .

c. any counter effects of it?

Eliminate the 90% of Sikhs with one hukamnama from India , it is much better then KPS Gill, Indra or Arungzeb did . Yep get the Hukamnama ASAP.

Shell I book the charter flight for all the Sikhs who want to go to India and get Hukamnama from Akal Takhat Sahib ji, ( How dare they don’t issue Hukamnama about this good deed).

d. Do we need this?

Well even if we have just 2 really pure Sikhs in the world that should be enough so yes we do need to kick the rest of the Sikhs towards may be Islam I think Muslims will be very happy to have all these dirty Sikhs. Then we will have fantastic highly spiritual Sikhs who will be so nice to look at themselves in the mirror and amazed at their achievements.

e. Would this benefit the Sikhs ?

Well it will certainly benefit , Hindus, Muslims, Christians and other Anti Sikhs organisations so we must implement it quickly.

Let their be no delay, all the youth get their Kirpana ready and stand up and be counted as …… well something , as after the filter of this thing most of us will not be Sikhs.

Thanks

Guest Akirtghan

the only way to stop blank rituals at our gurughar's is to do parchaar, which sadly speaking, we dont do much of. we are only good at yelling out jaikarey and showing people gatka, watever happened to sikh principles.