Science Vs. Sikhi

Vaaheguroo Jee Kaa Khaalsaa Vaaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh

I love science especially the body as i find it totally amazing due to numerous reasons such as fight against infection etc. One thing i read in a scientific book today was hair and how it is formed. I have never really read about hair in a scientific book although i know the sikhi reasons for it. However, hair is said to be formed from dead skin cells, and within reading 1 sentence 50,000 skin cells have died and been replaced. This then posed the question - Since hair is made from keratin and dead skin cells then the real reason why it always grows back is due to mitosis (normal cell division) and there is no religious purpose, linking back to God. Sorry if i have confused you.

I hate when i have bouts of doubt, but since i am still struggling with my gora family and beliefs i can't really do much sikhi wise as what i'd like too. This then makes me question why this is happening to me although God's will is always sweet no matter how bitter to a human.

Sorry if i have offended or confused anyone as this wasn't my intention.

Take care, Khalsa 123

Did you know that science was formed as a way to help explain religious things?

Modern science was based on the foundations of people long since gone, who were searching for answers as to how God could have created and done what he did. The atheism that has spread amongst scientists is fairly recent and isn't an old concept. On the contrary, old science was favored by religion, and the two complimented each other. Now as to the creation of hair, you have to ask yourself, does this deny the existence of God? In my personal opinion, No. What you've stated is in line with the rules of reality that we can understand. Hair is a natural process, and doesn't come out of thin air. I'd say that God's will can't necessarily be understood by us, but just because Hair isn't coming out of thin air and sewing itself onto our skin, that doesn't mean that God isn't doing it. Instead, I think that God uses an infinite amount of systems to create reality as it is, and we can only understand as much as our minds can allow, and hair being created in this way seems to be just one of many systems created by God.

Hope you got my point, and your sciencey side and ur sikhi side can reconcile, they don't have to be at loggerheads if you don't want them to be.

Science and Religion can never be used together - SOME people only turn to particular parts of their Religion when theres proof (no nindh'eh'ya). If there is no hard-proof it don't exist; just becuase you can't see it etc. I think that MOST people are scared of believing thats theres more to life than what we see; I think thats down to people being comfortable with what they have, they don't want to take the next step up incase of dissapointment or something, which I KNOW will never happen!

Also, just to step our Dharm a mark up, science have a "feeling" that there may be more worlds existing, Sri Guru Nanak Dev Jee knew AGES and AGES ago

DrqI horu prY horu horu ]

Dharathee Hor Par'eh Hor Hor ||

So many worlds beyond this world-so very many!

Sikhism= trillion :wub:

science = 0

Science and Religion can never be used together - SOME people only turn to particular parts of their Religion when theres proof (no nindh'eh'ya). If there is no hard-proof it don't exist; just becuase you can't see it etc. I think that MOST people are scared of believing thats theres more to life than what we see; I think thats down to people being comfortable with what they have, they don't want to take the next step up incase of dissapointment or something, which I KNOW will never happen!

Also, just to step our Dharm a mark up, science have a "feeling" that there may be more worlds existing, Sri Guru Nanak Dev Jee knew AGES and AGES ago

science = 0

That's wrong. Science and Sikhi can be used together. To ignore one is an injustice to the other.

Prove to me that Science can't be used with Sikhi. Sikhi is a very forward looking religion and as to my knowledge, hasn't contradicted Science. Science has contradicted Sikhi, but when that happens, new technology is made and past contradictions are rectified. But you have to go easy on Science. Science was created by mere mortals, whereas Sikhi was created by God and Guru.

science = 0

That's wrong. Science and Sikhi can be used together. To ignore one is an injustice to the other.

Prove to me that Science can't be used with Sikhi. Sikhi is a very forward looking religion and as to my knowledge, hasn't contradicted Science. Science has contradicted Sikhi, but when that happens, new technology is made and past contradictions are rectified. But you have to go easy on Science. Science was created by mere mortals, whereas Sikhi was created by God and Guru.

I don't think you understand what I meant, I wearnt really clear so that didn't help. What I meant by 'Science and Religion can never be used together' was that Science always leaves people having doubts about their faith. Like this thread-starter said "I hate it when I have bouts of doubts"; since he's at the early stages of learning about his faith, it doesn't really help but makin comparrisons with Science.

grown hair DOES benefit the body... body will have more energy... for example... u kno people who shave in the mornin.. then by like 4pm they have their beard startin to grow back, buh they look all sariya n stuff... they're body is tired, because i's usin so much energy to grow back the hair that was cut... tha's why they look so 'dirty' n tired.. haha..

also for sikhs, we wear dastaar... to cover our hair, protect it and wha nah.. tha's scientifically proven to be GOOD for our head, our scalp... has to do with the cranial adjustment or somethin (dunno the literal science def'n of it)... buh i's good for u...

everytin we do in sikhi is in line wit science, and is practical... :wub:

Dear Khalsa123 Ji,

There is no, absolute no conflict between Science and Sikhism. You have said hairs are made up of dead skin but have look at the another site on the net and it explain in bit different way.

As::::::::::

A Hair is basically composed of a structural protein called keratin which is also a constituent of our nails and the outer layer of our skin.

Each strand of hair consists of three layers:

• Innermost core known as medulla found only in mature thick hair

• The middle layer or the cortex, the main body of the hair which besides providing the colour and texture; provides strength to hair

• The outermost colour less layer or cuticle, the main function of which is to protects the cortex.

Above is taken from: more information is details info is available on the site

http://www.hairtransplantadvice.com/biolog...ir-follicle.php

Also have a look when science actually look for God’s particles it is bit off the track but have a look.

Storing CERN's Search for God (Particles)

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?si...22&from=rss

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4229545.stm

I don’t know what book you have read but there are other ways to explain the scientific facts about hairs.

Some lotions make hair grow faster , does not sound like increasing the dead things in body.

Some Vitamins can make your hair shine better. Too.

These are just few things I have listed , there are number of things which can be said about hairs.

On the topic of hair : for a Sikh.

In Sikhism hairs on the head are the stamp of Guru Sahib, i.e. it is an identity, there are other arguments in favour of importance of Hair, But for a Sikh the most important and valid one is that it is a one of the Signature of Guru Sahib on a Sikh to identified from outlook that this particular person belong to Sikh Guru Sahib.

No other arguments are required for a Sikh to grow hair.

That is the end of the matter as far as a Sikh is concerned , yes other arguments are out their but they are just complementary the main and only valid reason is that Your Guru want you to have long hair on the head and that is the end of story for a Sikh..

I hope that clear things a bit for you, now you can search on what is the importance of Signature/stamp/Seal have in our universe.

If you have any other doubt then let me know , either on the forum or send me an email.

God bless you my dear.

Kulwinder Singh

God didnt give us hair on our heads or beards for that matter just to get up everymorning and shave it off........................... if god created man in his perfection then we should leave our body in that perfection.

and i think god who is the most perfect maker of things would have saved us the hassle by stopping hair growing, right now from what little knowledge iv got, there is not a living creature on this planet which doesnt have hair, in some sort or form, so no points for guessing it has some significance.

it is also true that we can gain alot more energy and there is a science behind how it works, it can only be experienced by not cutting it, dont take me word for it.

i also think that the guru gave us everything becos he knew all the faces, science can only prove us correct. but sometimes this takes alot longer as humans can go off track or get it wrong, eventually when we get it right, we look back and say, oh in sikhi we already keep our kesh, wear dastar to benefit the skull, do cold ishnaan, get up at amrit vela, meditate, be vegitarian ....all these things science has proved, but not on a wide scale, once the benifits are wide spread, all mankind will be doing it, it is the only possible path left, humans are dying/ over stressed/ getting diseases becos they dont know how to live.........

bhul chuk maf karna