Late sleepers and Amrit Vela

Ryu Hayabusa

The timing of amritvela is amritvela, but the whole purpose behind waking up amritvela is to get up for one purpose, and that is to meditate on Waheguru.

If you stay up late, and wait for amritvela, then it just turns into a custom, that you're doing this because this is the way it should be, and I'm a good Sikh if I do this everyday, and not miss my nitnem.

Lets see how Guru sahib directs in this matter:

haalaaghae out(h) naam jap nis baasur aaraadhh ||

Rise early in the morning, and chant the Naam; worship and adore the Lord, night and day.

gur siqgur kw jo isKu AKwey su Blky auiT hir nwmu iDAwvY ]

gur sathigur kaa jo sikh akhaaeae s bhalakae out(h) har naam dhhiaavai ||

One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name.

oudham karae bhalakae parabhaathee eisanaan karae a(n)mrith sar naavai ||

Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe, and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar.

Now, in gurbani it always says RISE and chant the name of Waheguru. So, to stay awake for amritvela becomes more of a duty rather than devotion..you should rise in the morning out of love, and to show your dedication, love and committment..rather than staying awake to fulfil the duty of a sikh.

My two cents!

Waheguru jio,

JIo, i had posted a similar post before, dont know if i can find it now ;) pretty old

But basically same thing. My points were, that some of us are in university, pretty hard when you studying everyday and it takes till 2-3 am for studyin and gotta get back up by 83o for next classes. I have asked the sangat here if its ok to do nitnem before you goto sleep. A lot of you said its all good, but the key is dyan. We need to have focus when we doing nitnem.

Nitnem is our guide for the day. Guru ji gave it to us to start the day. But we not only have to just read it .. but also UNDERSTAND wat we are reading.

Well my two cents are, that i think its ok to do nitnem before you goto sleep... in certain circumstances...

bul chuk maph

WJKK WJKFateh!!

I agree with Mugadh veerji, that if you come during amritvela from a samagam, then its cool, cuz guru sahib knows! ;) But if you make it a habit of just staying up late to do your nitnem, it becomes more of a duty, and also brings alot more haumay, cuz you're just looking at the clock, and waiting for it to turn to amritvela, whereas waking up for amritvela, is more of dedication and commitment.

For certain cirumstances as dasn daas veerji said, its cool, cuz I know sometimes its hard as it is studying for exams and concentrating on the work. There's my half a cent!

Es moorakh di bhul chuk maaf karnee!! ^_^

WJKK WJKfathe!!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Another thing is Kirtan Sohila Sahib Da Paat. You are supposed to do it before you go to sleep, but if you don't go to sleep, then when do you do that Paat, after the 5 Banis or before? I think its best try try to stick to the routine given by Guru Ji (refer to 'khalsa's' post) and rise at Amritvela. But i think if it is out of your control (work, school etc.) then it should be ok because Guru Ji is understanding...but if you are not going to sleep because you are on msn or watching TV etc...then i don't think it's OK.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Guest balwinderkaur
To some it may become a duty to stay up late but to others not imo

yeah...different people are different. ;) guess it doesnt apply across the board/// some stay up to wait for amritvela cuz they are aware of their weakness of sleeping in ....in a way thats also a show of love for gurujees hukam IMHO.