What Does Everyone Think About This...

orono

i think its good, but i dont think anyone will enforce this or abide to it. The sad truth is that the majority of sikh weddings are followed by a reception party where alcohol and meat is served. This has unfortunately become entwined into sikh weddings, with some people even missing the anand karaj ceremony and just going to the reception party. Whether its on the same day or another day, the reception parties wont stop.

^^ tru but what I don't understand is why do people call that a SIKH wedding?? isnt that a panjabee wedding? I don't see Gursikhs goin about eatin meat and drinkin alcohol - some familes just get married then they have langar and thats it....so why have they named it SIKH weddings? grin.gif

People use both together, punjabi sikh wedding. They have an anand karaj followed by reception party. The sad truth is that iv never been to a gursikh wedding, and i go to about 3/4 weddings a year on average (one year i had 9 to go to). The vast majority of weddings have a reception party and people look forward to going to this, so i dont think it will be possible to stop them from happening.

There’s no denying that we are in a time of diminishing appreciation for Sikh maryada and teachings. Just looking back 30 years or so ago, you would find more value was given to Sikh ceremonies and Sikh beliefs. Over a fairly rapid period of time the adoption of modernity and non-Gurmat values have taken over the community resulting in a dilution of Sikh values. Sikh maryada is being crafted to make life easier for our devolving community, where once Amrit was staunchly preached; today the topic is very delicately handled so as not to offend people. Anand Karajs and Akhand Paths are just seen ritualistic acts that are performed for the sake of it without any consideration or thought being given to the betterment of our own lives or society in general.

We are now in a self created situation that will take a period of time to restore, where the Gurdwara and Maryada has been left open for abuse by “Sikhs” themselves. I fully agree that we cannot expect to make overnight “radical” rules because in the haste of quick fixes we can generate a bigger problem. If on one side people think they should stop certain marriages being performed in Guru Ghars then we could see more people going to halls/hotels to carry out Anand Karajs, thus creating another problem.

Further to this sweeping and radical announcement from Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee, I think we (all Sikhs) need to personally take charge in mentoring our immediate/extend families and friends, interacting with them and discussing Maryada, Gurbani, Ithaas. This again means focus on our own Jeevans, before we decide to preach to the world because there’s nothing more hypocritical than being a hypocrite. Not only should we not feel embarrassed about looking like a Sikh, we should also not feel embarrassed in discussing Sikhi. Second and third generation Punjabis need to comprehend that there’s intensity and depth to Sikhi beyond mere family rituals and formalities, perhaps then we will begin to re-cultivate a stronger appreciation of the Anand Karaj.

There’s no denying that we are in a time of diminishing appreciation for Sikh maryada and teachings. Just looking back 30 years or so ago, you would find more value was given to Sikh ceremonies and Sikh beliefs. Over a fairly rapid period of time the adoption of modernity and non-Gurmat values have taken over the community resulting in a dilution of Sikh values. Sikh maryada is being crafted to make life easier for our devolving community, where once Amrit was staunchly preached; today the topic is very delicately handled so as not to offend people. Anand Karajs and Akhand Paths are just seen ritualistic acts that are performed for the sake of it without any consideration or thought being given to the betterment of our own lives or society in general.

We are now in a self created situation that will take a period of time to restore, where the Gurdwara and Maryada has been left open for abuse by “Sikhs” themselves. I fully agree that we cannot expect to make overnight “radical” rules because in the haste of quick fixes we can generate a bigger problem. If on one side people think they should stop certain marriages being performed in Guru Ghars then we could see more people going to halls/hotels to carry out Anand Karajs, thus creating another problem.

Further to this sweeping and radical announcement from Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee, I think we (all Sikhs) need to personally take charge in mentoring our immediate/extend families and friends, interacting with them and discussing Maryada, Gurbani, Ithaas. This again means focus on our own Jeevans, before we decide to preach to the world because there’s nothing more hypocritical than being a hypocrite. Not only should we not feel embarrassed about looking like a Sikh, we should also not feel embarrassed in discussing Sikhi. Second and third generation Punjabis need to comprehend that there’s intensity and depth to Sikhi beyond mere family rituals and formalities, perhaps then we will begin to re-cultivate a stronger appreciation of the Anand Karaj.

excellent post paaji, i agree with everything you have stated. I agree that the only way we can restore things to how they once were is to try to influence all of the people we know in our lives. If each of us can be a positive spiritual influence to them, then eventually, slowly things will start to improve from our present state. But as you also said, we need to make our own sikhi jeevan strong too for this to work.