'sikh' Speed Dating?

Sikh Soldier

WJKK WJKF

I have just heard that around the UK there are events called 'Sikh' speed dating services. people can meet up and speed date i guess. they actually advertise the event as 'Sikh speed dating', where 'Sikhs' can meet and speed date. a friend of mine says its harmless because you only meet people and talk, no numbers are exchanged. i dont care what people do in thier spare time, but i personally dont think the word 'Sikh' should be used. but my friend says whats wrong with using 'Sikh'. the people there are Sikh, they might not be perfect Sikhs, but they are Sikhs. I think using the term Sikh to promote an activity which (I think) is anti-Sikhi is wrong.

I just want the sangats opinion on this issue, and what i should say to my friend, and what should be done about such things.

WJKK WJKF

didnt they do a similar thing in new york or something called 'sikh speed meeting' a while ago because they had an article/advert about it on sikhnet.com.

How is it wrong?

The way things are going in India, give it a few years arranged marriages may well become obsolete for many. Just trying to meet someone who is a future partner is nothing wrong. Dating doesn't necessarily imply premarital sex, if that is your concern. If anything, given the situation these days, the people should be commended for bothering to even look for a Sikh partner.

Even when you follow your parents, essentially you meet someone and speak with them on the phone a few times....and make your decision....same as dating.

Of course some people may abuse it, but that is the situation with everything. I cannot understand why anyone would put even more obstacles for Sikhs to be together in this day and age.

Dal Singh i think you have a point to an extent and i know where Sikh Soldier is coming from aswell. The event is called "Sikh Speed Dating", the words Sikh and Dating shouldnt go together. I think its safe to say that you wont find Amritdhari's there and the old age arguement comes into play again, are Non Amritdhari's actually Sikh and should Sikhi actually be brought up in such a event. My answer would be a big NO to both but thats just me and its just a opinion.

I dont agree with these kind of events using the name of Sikhi, its just not right but theres a lot of things that aint right that are going on. Its just Kaaljug.

Im pretty tired aswell so if i didnt make sense then you know why :nihungsmile:

Waheguru Ji Ki Khalsa Wahegure Ji Ki Fateh

Dal Singh i think you have a point to an extent and i know where Sikh Soldier is coming from aswell. The event is called "Sikh Speed Dating", the words Sikh and Dating shouldnt go together. I think its safe to say that you wont find Amritdhari's there and the old age arguement comes into play again, are Non Amritdhari's actually Sikh and should Sikhi actually be brought up in such a event. My answer would be a big NO to both but thats just me and its just a opinion.

I dont agree with these kind of events using the name of Sikhi, its just not right but theres a lot of things that aint right that are going on. Its just Kaaljug.

Im pretty tired aswell so if i didnt make sense then you know why :nihungsmile:

Waheguru Ji Ki Khalsa Wahegure Ji Ki Fateh

Fateh Singh, I hear what your saying but this is increasingly going to become the normal way to find partners in the future. You know more and more people today are questioning why other people should make the decision on who they are to spend their lives with.

Call it kalyug or modernity, this is just how things are going to go. Either we can drive it underground and make it seedy or be mature about it (no offence btw). We ALL know the consequences of making it difficult for people of Sikh backgrounds to be together......

And regarding the point about who is Sikh or not.....at least acknowledge that people of this background form the main pot from which the majority of Khalsas emerge....call them Punjabis or whatever

Ye i get your point definately. Its another one of those topics which can be argued both ways but im sticking to my guns and staying old skool, its still a NO from me.

Plus your life partner has already been decided (Sanjog), you will meet them and be together no matter what.

swhw hukmu rjwie so n tlY jo pRBu krY bil rwm jIau ]

saahaa hukam rajaae so n ttalai jo prabh karai bal raam jeeo ||

The moment of that marriage will be set by the Hukam of God's Command; His Will cannot be changed.

Guru Nanak Dev Ji

Raag Soohee

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Plus your life partner has already been decided (Sanjog), you will meet them and be together no matter what.

The moment of that marriage will be set by the Hukam of God's Command; His Will cannot be changed.

Guru Nanak Dev Ji

Raag Soohee

Brother, you are taking it out of context. Please re read the whole shabad.

Guru Nanak Dev Ji

Raag Soohee

Brother, you are taking it out of context. Please re read the whole shabad.

Dude I just read the shabad and it isn't saying what you claim at all. It is about the human and Waheguru union using the metaphor of a groom and bride, do you realise that? Misquoting bani bhai ji!

Either we can drive it underground and make it seedy or be mature about it

that is very true. i think the organizers should be allowed to say it is sikh speed dating, because that is the audience they're aiming for. If they didn't say "sikh", they would not be doing the attendees a good service because they wouldn't be able to ensure everyone who came knew it was a sikh dating event. They did it for practicality. And at least they're doing it openly, not underground, as dalsingh mentioned...

this really is the way the future is...besides, these possible couples are between sikhs only. so i see no problem...