'sikh' Speed Dating?

Sikh Soldier

LOL @ stats! :D

Man, arranged marriages are only performed by pindus! These people also believe in "honour killing" and other strange rituals. Also, these people don't believe women have equal rights. If anything, men always have the last word in the house. Remember that women always stick to their men in "pindu" culture no matter what. So to compare arrange marriages to "love" marriages is useless. It is like comparing apples and oranges.

Although it could be put a bit better (lol) you make a strong point. Often those who really push for arranged marriages are also behind the honour killing crap when things go wrong. It might go down in the pind but here in the west we actually lose our honour when they plaster this all over the media. Look at the stupid buddhi who took her daughter in law back home and had her strangled in the UK for example. Yeah and your point about pressure to stay in abusive relationships is also valid.

But you know plenty of arranged marriages work so I wouldn't totally knock them.

Man, arranged marriages are only performed by pindus! These people also believe in "honour killing" and other strange rituals. Also, these people don't believe women have equal rights. If anything, men always have the last word in the house. Remember that women always stick to their men in "pindu" culture no matter what. So to compare arrange marriages to "love" marriages is useless. It is like comparing apples and oranges.

Although it could be put a bit better (lol) you make a strong point. Often those who really push for arranged marriages are also behind the honour killing crap when things go wrong. It might go down in the pind but here in the west we actually lose our honour when they plaster this all over the media. Look at the stupid buddhi who took her daughter in law back home and had her strangled in the UK for example. Yeah and your point about pressure to stay in abusive relationships is also valid.

But you know plenty of arranged marriages work so I wouldn't totally knock them.

rolleyes.gif

Anyway, you can say "love" marriages workouts fine as well. Not all love marriages end up in a divorce.

Getting divorce is very common now here in the west, but back 30+ years ago, divorce was an uncommon thing in the west, but yet people back then still got married based on love not through arranged marriages. So to say love marriages is bad because the current divorce rate is wrong. Love marriages aren’t the reason why divorce rates are high in the west. It is a lot of people these days don’t have good morals and are getting married for wrong reasons (like money) are the reason why divorce rate is high these days.

Also I like to say that divorce is a taboo in Indian community. So desis who are married, but want a divorce not end up doing it because they’ll be look down on by other Indians. Also, some couples don’t get divorce because they want their kids to live in a family like environment. So they put up with each other just sake of their kids.

Sorry, but I believe that to be a generalization, and based on facts, If I were to make a generalization, I'd say that Non-arranged marriages are useless because those people say, "If this doesn't work out, don't worry about it, we can get a divorce". If I were to make a generalization that is...

Sorry, but I believe that to be a generalization, and based on facts, If I were to make a generalization, I'd say that Non-arranged marriages are useless because those people say, "If this doesn't work out, don't worry about it, we can get a divorce". If I were to make a generalization that is...

Fair point. But the other way round is that you do actually meet plenty of people who have had arranged marriages and are divorced or separated.

What can we conclude? That both arranged and "love" marriages can work out and they both can fail. I don't think it makes any difference and a person who has a preference for one type shouldn't knock the other. But saying it is unSikh like is strange. If Sikhi was born as a way of life somewhere else, it would have the same message but different associated cultural norms based on the location. So I still can't see how arranged marriages are "Sikh" so to speak. Certainly Punjabi but not Sikh. But maybe I've got it wrong?

no i agree...whoever calls love marriages or dating "anti-sikh" is speaking from a punjabi cultural point of view, not specifically a sikh point of view. I guess both marriages work, but what has to happen is that the person who is going to get married has to marry for the right reasons. Also, very few love marriages, so to speak, happen without the parents' permission. All prospective couples have a lot to gain if their parents agree...imagine growing up without any grandparents at all.....

Love or arranged marriage is a debate that could go on forever. However saying that love marriage ends up in divorce is totally unfair. Arraged marriage are not necessarily happy marriage! (I'm not saying that all arranged marriage are unhappy!)

As for the "sikh speed dating", I don't think it's really dating as people talk with the purpose of finding a possible match. I doubt people go there out of lust...

Perhaps it should be called "sikh speed meeting"? tongue.gif

lol who would go? people that need to find a last resort?

Probably people trying to AVOID a last resort, and having the gumption to find another Sikh partner so they can raise a Sikh family instead of finally giving up and saying "mummy daddy please find me a virtual stranger that I can marry" Without any guarauntee mummy or daddy can even make that happen.

How this is an issue is beyond me. You people frown upon mixed marriages, and also like to come down on avenues in which people of the same faith can meet each other. Quite puzzling. grin.gif

lol who would go? people that need to find a last resort?

Probably people trying to AVOID a last resort, and having the gumption to find another Sikh partner so they can raise a Sikh family instead of finally giving up and saying "mummy daddy please find me a virtual stranger that I can marry" Without any guarauntee mummy or daddy can even make that happen.

How this is an issue is beyond me. You people frown upon mixed marriages, and also like to come down on avenues in which people of the same faith can meet each other. Quite puzzling. grin.gif

That just shows you how confused such people are. Firstly they complain about conversions and mixed relationships then they throw a hissy fit when people try novel ways to avoid this.

Read more books and stuff people.