Sikhism Or Khalsaism?

Mista Singh

In the words of Guruka Singh Khalsa

What makes you a Sikh? Only one thing! Do you belong to your Guru? Or do you belong to your maya?

I would say that the vast majority of people calling themselves SIkhs, both Amritdhari and monay, are in the grip of maya these days. It just sticks out so much more when people in Sikhi saroop do it. You can pretty much count the vast majority of "Sikhs" who run the institutes back home. You talk as if honesty and honest l;iving are second to having a saroop. If anything needs to be done by amritdharis now, it is cleaning up their fellow brethen before pointing at other peoples laxity.

By your own definition the vast majority of people who go to Gurdwarae are not Sikh.

Dont want to get too contoversial just want to keep it very simple. Khalsa and Sikh are both followers of Guru. However when you read gurbani, sikh refers to learner/jaigaso and khalsa refers to atamgyani, atam rasiya, even though khalsa and sikh are both followers of guru yet khalsa avastha is consider higher than sikh, sikh belongs to learning stage, khalsa belongs to bhramgyan stage. In gurbani these terms are relative.

Here is an example of sikh from gurbani, guru ji giving updesh to jaigaso:

Gur Satgur Ka Jo Sikh Akhaai So Bhalke Uth Har Naam Dhiyawai.

Udham Kare Bhalke Parbhati Isnan Kare Amritsar Naawai.

Updes Guru Har Har Jap Jaape Sabh Kilwikh Pap Dokh Leh Jaawai.

Phir Chare Diwas Gurbani Gaawai Behndean Uthdean Har Naam Dhiyawai.

Jo Sas Giras Dhiyae Mera Har Har So Gur Sikh Guru Man Bhaawai.

Jis No Dyal Howai Mera Soami Tis Gursikh Guru Updesh Sunawai.

Jan Nanak Dhur Mange Tis Gur Sikh Ki Jo Aap Jape Awreh Naam Japaawai. (305)

===

Here is an example of khalsa from gurbani (sri sarbloh granth), guru ji describing khalsa:

Atam Ras Neh Jannehi Sio Haie Khalsa Dev,

Prab Meh Mo Meh Tas Meh Ranchak Naeh Bhaid(v) ||

The one who has entered the sphere of atma(self), he alone is worthy of the title of the khalsa, he becomes one with me the guru and ultimately God.There is no difference.

Khalsa and sikh are two different terms if we do vichar on those two quotes, above quote- guru is giving updesh to sikh, if you wish to be called sikh of the guru, get up in amritvela and recite naam on amrit vela, do udham(try). I dont think above quote is refer to khalsa who is been described as atamrassaie in 2nd quote because atamgyani/atamrasaie/bhramgyani already tasted atam ras, amrit ras and is fully imbued in naam, there is noo need for him/her to udham or get up, gurmukh samadhi in atam ras is nirodh is ever lasting, naam is running 24/7- rom rom har dhavaie.

Now question if terms sikhs/khalsa only refers to elite amritdhari is different topic all together, it all depends, how much you think/vichar out of box, how much you khoj, how much you try to manage decipher sikh sants uchi soochni via almast mahapursh ramja. i wont argue over and over again if sikh/khalsa terms only refers to new age amritdharis who think they are elite from everyone else.

BF Singh

I commend you on bringing forward the issue in a very sensitive and respectful manner. Namstang’s reply is enlightening, but I don’t know if it is a response to the context that you refer to in the opening post. In the practical context I do believe that a Sikh= Khalsa. In other words one must be amritdhari to be Sikh.

I don’t speak of me personally, but would the following thoughts fit for people?

1. I am amritdhari,

I am defined as Khalsa and I strive to be Khalsa. If someone suggested I am not worthy, such is the humble nature of the Khalsa, that I can only strive to be worthy of the honor. It is my duty to protect and preserve the definition and identity of Sikh=Khalsa. Those who are not amritdhari, but support the notion of Sikh=Khalsa are my beloved brothers and sisters who I continue to learn from. Their extreme humility and understanding of Sikh=Khalsa is inspiring. Despite the above, I refer to them as Sikhs out of immense respect.

2. I am kesdhari,

In certain contexts people may refer to me as Khalsa. I am not Sikh nor Khalsa. However, because I don’t carry this handy card, I let it slide with humility and know that I would never insult Sikhi by suggesting that not being an amritdhari is Sikhi. I have a greater duty to protect and preserve the identity of Sikh=Khalsa. The preservation is not about me, it’s about preserving the gift of love called Sikhi or Khalsa.

3. I am not kesdhari,

In certain contexts people may refer to me as Sikh. Like the kesdhari, I am not Sikh nor Khalsa. However, because I don’t carry this handy card, I humbly and where appropriate let it slide and know I would never insult Sikhi by suggesting that being a mona is Sikhi. I have an enormous duty to protect and preserve the identity of the Khalsa. I am particularly aware of this duty in relation to subtle and not so subtle forces threatened by the freedom of the dastar of the Sikh. Those forces prefer to use my appearance to erroneously promote me as the Sikh image. I will fight against this for my Sikh brothers and sisters who maintain the Sikh identity with courage and therefore preserve our future on their shoulders. The preservation is not about me, it’s about preserving the gift of love called Sikhi or Khalsa.

4. I believe I am Sikh because; I love bhangra, I have a khandaa tattoo, I have a jatt idenity complex, or similar.

In certain contexts I refer to me as Sikh. Who needs enemies, when you have brothers like me?

(I don’t wish to include the negativity of #4, but it may be productive food for thought)

Sikh - Who believes in 1 Immortal god, wants salvation and control over his mind but lacks solid commitment

GurSikh - Serves his true guru, gives his tann mann dhann to his guru, listens, understands and follows his teachings

Gurmukh/Khalsa - achieved mukti/salvation, realised true-self, realised God, free from 5 evils, man jeetay jag jeet/won over his mind, tenth-gate opened, continous flow of amrit. that is gurmukh, that is khalsa!

Whether you believe or not, truth remains the truth. Guru gobind singh ji said there is no difference between him and khalsa! So does that mean the khalsa of today who haven't realised their true self, havent beaten 5 evils, haven't been enlightned can be compared with guru ji? Dhan Dhan Guru nanak dev ji maharaj called himself a gurmukh in gurbani, sikhs who take initiation call themselves a gurmukh...are they giving themselves the same status as dhan dhan guru nanak patshayi ji?!

You're a true gurmukh/khalsa when your soul is married to God's. Came across the word "Soul Bride" in SGGS ji? If you did, you should know what i'm talking about. When we get married, in gurudwara, it is not the husband wife that is getting married, it is our soul and the supreme soul (God). If you just listen to gurbani at marriage ceremony you won't know what i am talking about, if you understand the true meaning of gurbani sang at marriage ceremony, you'll know what i am talking about!!!

Relationships husband/wife, son/daughter, brother/sister is all worldly drama. But since we're in this world, we cannot just go to jungle and become a sanyasi, we still get married, have kids but we dont get emotionally attached to them (MOH), we concentrate on true naam, our beloved/husband (Supreme soul/God)

Out of all religions, best religion is the one that meditates on name of the god. Out of all religious rituals, the best ritual is to overcome 5 evils. This is what gurbani says, not me. If you're a true follower of gurbani, you'll listen to it and then put it into practice, dont look at the world is upto, this is kaljug, only the name of lord will save us, so meditate on it. In gurbani, gurus are praying to God to be blessed with sant's dust of the feet and we cant bow to a real sant? Even though we read gurbani, we dont want to understand the true meaning of it, we dont want to bow to a sant even though knowing when we bow to a sant, we dont bow to his physical body, we're bowing to the param jyot - supreme soul - god in him!

Only the one's that GOD want to understand, will understand what i'm saying. The rest of you will think i'm chatting crap and ignore me. You'll be happy in what you've grown up in. Just coz our families lost, we want to be losers as well, people nothing will help you at the end only god will help you. so meditate on him, dont worry about anything else/what the world is upto. JUST MEDITATE ON GREAT NAME OF THE LORD. PRABH KA SIMRAN SAB TOO OOCHA, That is the sukhmani, that is the sukhmani in sukmani sahib!

vaheguru, i like alot of what The Perf-Stud said above.

I think the reality is that Sikhi has alot to do with your action. Sure, it's an "act" to receive amrit.. but it's a one time act, and without any devotion/dedication/love, simply taking amrit will give you little advancement in your spiritual journey......amrit in its solitude, IN MY OPINION, is not enough to define being a Sikh. Day to Day acts need to be representative of a sikh, and that's why I have no problem with saying certain other people are Sikhs, though they have not kept full roop, or have yet to take amrit.

this is why we may never find one blanket statement to satisfy the answer "who is a sikh?". I feel we can't jus say, well if you've taken amrit, you're a sikh, and if you haven't, you're not. The fact is there's good and bad both among amritdharis and monay/sehjdhari/keshdhari. We always speak about how we come alone and we die alone, we come as individuals, we die as individuals, but whe it comes to defining what a Sikh is, we don't do it on an individual level, we try to make one blanket stattement to cover as much ground as possible.

Maybe that's the flaw.

Personally, I'm not ashamed to admit that there's quite a few monay that I do sangat with, who have inspired me to become better. These are people who i look at and feel are just, straight up, better than me. I consider them as my fellow Sikhs, because their actions justify it. Sure they haven't yet decided to take the plunge, but looking their eyes, speaking with them, it's something that's only in due time.

And in high school, i did sangat with a group of punjabis (some sardars included) who were ready to backstab anyone at any time, wore their sikhi on their arms in the form of tattoos, but ask them to have naam in their minds, and they look at you with a quizzical look on their face. How can such a person be called a sikh?

i know we've had that example put forward before, that theres some monay who are really good, and some keshdhari and even amritdhari who are really bad

but that just shows the practiaclity. That is not a recent phenomenon. Amritdharis and supposedly faithful gursikhs have been bad even in the Guru's times (Mahants)...

Ultimately, amrit is extremely important, and that can't be deabted or faught. But I think a mona or a keshdhari is allowed to believe in amrit, even if they have yet to give their head, and still be caleld a Sikh... but they must also have the day-to-day actions and kamayee, just as an already-amritdhari should, to justify and deserve it.

sikh = someone who forgets his own wishes and starts to follow gurus teachings

so sikh sakha bandap hai bhai je gur ke bhane vich avhe

''he is a sikh who comes into the wil of GuruGranthSahib ji maharaj"

khalsa = completes the teachings and passes the exam.

kaho kaber jan pei khalse prem bhagat jeh janee

"says kabeer they are khalsa (pure) who are 24/7 engaged in prema bhagati"