Sikh Parents

Punjabi_Link

its because the rents try to fit into the western culture so much that they dont care about losing their religious belifs of anything. u dont havta go far to find this happenin if ur from the lower mainland all u gotta do is pick up the real estate paper and ull find ppl like Bob gill or Larry sandhu hahaha

Because they are pindus who do not question and had their simple form of self-identity formed before they landed here. Whereas most of us growing up abroad were forced to confront questions regarding our identity at young ages. This searching by us and probably the impact of Western education has caused us to learn and seek answers to questions that our parents never had to confront, hence many children knowing more about their history/religion than parents.

Saying that some youngsters are also proper dumba*s*s about their roots too.

Guest Narinder Singh

Because they come from a culture that tells them not to question anything. Whereas kids in the west are taught to question everything.

A Sikh is a learner, one who is learning will question, if he or she not questioning then he/she is not learning.

Fateh.

How about taking a different angle.

Since some time ago (round abt 50's) a new breed of human beings have evolved. Those that don't like following rules - That rebel if forced into anything - The ones that like to go against whatever their parents say. I'm talking about the teenager.

Back in the old day, the average teenager used to listen to what their parents used to listen to, wear what their parents did etc. But now, the average teenager listens to exactly the music that irritates parents, wear exactly what parents tell them not to and do everything that make them feel as independant as possible (watched this in "History of Britian" BBC1 i think).

Anyway my point is: maybe it due to this new teenage model, and the fact that parents nowadays don't really care about Sikhi - Therefore, being a hardcore Singh/Kaur is in some way being the independant being that teenagers want to be.

Personally, I wanted to take Amrit and when parents disagreed (everytime i mentioned Amrit tension used to grip the whole family), I wanted Amrit even more!

some parents are just plain dumb IMAGE + FAMILY HONOUR is all they care about at the expense of family values and sikhi!

they say Parents are our first teachers the problem is most have sh!t teachers

How about taking a different angle.

Since some time ago (round abt 50's) a new breed of human beings have evolved. Those that don't like following rules - That rebel if forced into anything - The ones that like to go against whatever their parents say. I'm talking about the teenager.

Back in the old day, the average teenager used to listen to what their parents used to listen to, wear what their parents did etc. But now, the average teenager listens to exactly the music that irritates parents, wear exactly what parents tell them not to and do everything that make them feel as independant as possible (watched this in "History of Britian" BBC1 i think).

Anyway my point is: maybe it due to this new teenage model, and the fact that parents nowadays don't really care about Sikhi - Therefore, being a hardcore Singh/Kaur is in some way being the independant being that teenagers want to be.

Personally, I wanted to take Amrit and when parents disagreed (everytime i mentioned Amrit tension used to grip the whole family), I wanted Amrit even more!

WOW thats so true its jus plain scary.

I come from a Punjabi Brahmin Hindu family. I never tried to teach/preach anything to them, just leave it to Gurujee, and He will Himself make them realize the truth. A million words said by you won't make a millimetre worth of difference, and one click by Gurujee will do the trick. Remember, it takes time. Nothing happens overnight, so have patience. But then again, if Gurujee wants something to happen in a split second, then who can stop it! :nihungsmile:

how can we get our families onto the right path, and is it ok to preach to them lol

I don't think anything can get through to them. Only thing we can do is wait until this generation disappears and make sure when our time comes we aren't hypocritical and ignorant like that.