Kerry Comments on sikhs

Guest SikhForLife

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JSingh,

Thank you for your comments. I'm sorry if I failed to indicate so in my initial post, but I have indeed taken the liberty of letting my thoughts on the matter be known to the Kerry campaign shortly after this issue was brought to my attention.

I should also like to add that in the unlikely event that Sen. Kerry fails to repudiate his earlier remarks, I would, and only then, consider switching my support to one of the other candidates left standing. I do not believe it will come to that however.

Also, for those of you who have or are anticipating on joining in on the discussion on Sen. Kerry's website, please be articulate and to the point in your responses. Do not get caught in the trap of discussing all of the details surrounding the events of 1984. This is not the appropriate venue or time for that discussion to take place.

What Sen. Kerry DOES need to hear is that his remarks have hurt many in the Sikh community both here in the United States and worldwide as it is simply wrong and unconscionable to associate the actions of a few with an entire faith. He needs to apologize for his insensitive remarks and/or clarify what he meant. Based on what I've read and seen, it would appear that SMART, myself, and countless other individuals have started to make some headway as evidenced by an earlier post on this message board. I have no doubt that it will only be a matter of time before we hear something official from the man himself. All we can do now is wait for him to do the right thing, which I have no doubt that he will.

-Gurfateh

P.S. the thread over at Sen. Kerry's website has NOT been taken down. The

link is still valid as of this posting (2/5/04 @ 4:45pm PST).

http://forum.johnkerry.com//index.ppa?showtopic=3086

one last thing begore shutting down, it is kind of strange that a presidential canidate would mention IRA and Basque, which are GROUPS not religions or adherents of a certain religion. He says Sikhs, i mean ok one can make a mistake but how dumb is one to say this, i would want my President to know the difference between Catholics and the IRA, Sikhs and some liberation group. Kerry has been to Sikh gurdwaras in Cali well it would have been nice to let him know you guys are not a group called the Sikhs but rather Sikhs who practice Sikhi....instead of being upset because your canidate is being ripped on, just think for a moment an eduacted man who might be president can't make such a simple differentiation! I mean Bush is dumb but i never heard him say terrorists such as the IRA, Basque, and Muslims in Palestine!!!! try to take your own advice and see where other people are coming from......I'm sorry but we cannot just say, "he made a mistake", my brothers and sisters who have been murdered in India will not and i repeat will not be labeled as terrorists, i have too much dignity for Sikhi to let this happen, India gets away with this crap and living here this happens i am not going to sit around because then i would just be a damn internet kharkoo like many of us are told and actually are.....and just because Palestinians and bin laden are messed up in the eyes of the world, we are not going to hush down about our struggle, our struggle is in no comparison to some Islamic Jehad out killing innocent people!!!

http://us.rediff.com/news/2004/feb/05us.htm

Say sorry Senator Kerry: Sikh group

A correspondent in New York | February 05, 2004 22:53 IST

A Sikh group has asked Senator John Kerry to correct a statement he made on the campaign trail that they say paints members of the Sikh religion as terrorists.

Speaking in Oklahoma January 31, Kerry said terrorism did not begin with the attacks of September 11, 2001. He gave us examples the tensions in Northern Ireland, the Basque separatist movement in Spain, and the Sikhs in India.

"Among the examples none were mentioned by religion other than the Sikhs," said the Sikh Mediawatch and Resource Task Force in a letter to Senator Kerry.

They said Kerry 'singled out the adherents of the Sikh religion as terrorists'. Kerry, who is now considered the front-runner in the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, made the comment in response to a question about the global terrorist threat.

In the letter, SMART said, "Based on your response, which was broadcast on C-SPAN and other news outlets, all adherents of the Sikh faith can be interpreted as condoning or being associated with terrorism."

good job.. go more to the media.. and shoot this fella down using the media... more sikhs throughout US should go to da papers and even tv and tell dis dude dat we are offended with his remarks n we demand an apology and for him to take back his words.. at least da next time any politician that wishes to speak abt sikhs will think a gizzilion times before blaberring ...