Sikhs In Hitler Army

Greater-Punjab

Does anyone get a feeling that SIkhs are being subtly and systematically smeared in the media these days?

I agree with you on that one, smearing is happening slowly but it is happening.

Expect more in future.

Second_world_war_europe_animation_small.gif

I think this Shubhash Chandra Bose went to Germany in 1941 (presumably before December since Germany didn't "declare war" on the United States until December) thinking that Germany and its Allies were going to be the next super powers. Take a look at the above animation and you will see that Germany was "winning the war" until it made some major and critical mistakes.

In perspective. If I was sitting around in a prisoner camp and I was asked if I would volunteer to go back to my country of origin for whatever, I would put my hand up too! Even if I planned to get back and leave the whole war mess behind me.

In perspective. If I was sitting around in a prisoner camp and I was asked if I would volunteer to go back to my country of origin for whatever, I would put my hand up too! Even if I planned to get back and leave the whole war mess behind me.

Exactly!!!

I just get a feeling we should prepare and be ready to positively combat negative media portrayals.

It would be a good opportunity for the community to ask some serious questions regarding honour killings and our history and learning important lessons from the past.

Sometimes I get the feeling that Sikhs were mercenaries for the British in the past.

If India can convince Sikh soldiers in the Indian army to attack Darbar sahib in 1984, what makes us think Sikhs couldn't be convinced to fight alongside Hitler?

Gen Brar, Dayal, that character Zail Sio with Indira, the biggest house Negro KP Gill, etc etc. the lits goes on and on with examples of sikhs siding with the "other" side.

and the example Mehtab gave of sikhs siding with Musharraf and well, in essence, any Pakistani regime, is a great analogy as well.

Our people are brave, but very very naive. almost childishly gullible.

All you gotta do is give our people a little desi "pump" and chalo ji, sardar j ho jaande ah tyaar maran layee.

peace.

All you gotta do is give our people a little desi "pump" and chalo ji, sardar j ho jaande ah tyaar maran layee.
As funny as that sounds, the more sad it is.

The British used technique this against pindu Sikhs in an institutionalised manner. They had Sikhs jumping to fight abroad.

Oh well, at least they got a good taste of modern warfare I guess....

No, I don't think thats really a right thing for the soldier to do. Nobody will admire anyone who did that unless the circumstances are different and thats very rare to happen but it did happened with us some 60 years ago. For Sikhs who joined hand with others justify the point of going against those who hired them in first place (British). I met some (actually three) who joined Azad Hind force and they went against British Raj because of several reasons: Religious discrimination in Army; like hard hat rule etc. Every case is different for every regiment/group.

Sometimes I get the feeling that Sikhs were mercenaries for the British in the past.

I quietly disagree with that. Sikhs before 1947 took their military profession very seriously and always stayed very loyal till very end. Whether it was battle in deep jungles of Burma or whether its Sepoy Mutiny of 1857.. Sikhs always stayed Loyal and never after Money.. In Sikh Raj, couple of generals of Italy, France and even American wanted to get jobs in Sikh Raj only because they saw Money in Ranjit Singh Empire. Thats what i can say mercenary but Sikhs in past never killed anyone because of Money or contract job.

Our people are brave, but very very naive. almost childishly gullible.

This is sooooo true and it can proven with historical facts.. This is like our Weak point.

The British used technique this against pindu Sikhs in an institutionalised manner. They had Sikhs jumping to fight abroad.

Oh well, at least they got a good taste of modern warfare I guess....

Regarding the modern warfare.. Sikhs of that era were pretty much familiar with that.. Its these days that they are not up to date with modern weaponry. It was not British who encouraged sikhs to take part in world wars but was the idea of Gandhi and Nehru ppl to send them to death gallows (though can't be proven in papers) but it shows that Gandhi and Nehru did that to please British. Well anyway its very nice to know that our kaum did took part to make the world a better place.

Off topic.. i want to comment on using of ur words Pindu or pendu... Being shaerey myself.. i can vouch that majority of sikhs who are pendu (means living in village) are the one who are worth to be trusted and they are straight forward in talks. It was them who participate in every major struggle. I think we should give them some credit as they not only helped their country in bad times but feeding the whole damn country. They are the one who face most of the troubles; loan sharks, electricity, low price for their harvest and so on.. So lets give them a bit more credit as they hardly earned for that :lol: