Question specific for bibis to answer please

Naam Jaachak

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

I am not sure if this question should be asked in a public forum but there was no other option so I have to go ahead.

I have to become amritdhari singhni and I need to attend an amrit sanchaar samagam. Due to not opening up with many people, I have not been able to do this for last 2 amrit sanchaars.

The problem I am facing is that you have to do take bath, kesh inshnaan, wear panj kakaar and clean clothes. Now it happened that my periods were during the time when the samagam took place. I didn't wanted to go there with with this thing in mind.

Now I may get a chance again but unfortunately I am facing the same situation for the third time. Is it appropriate to go like this?

I hope some gurmukh sisters can help answer my query.

Bhul chuk di khima.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Penj, this is not Hinduism or Islam, where you can't perform any religious worship if you're menstruating. Guru Ji said the most important thing is that you mind and heart should be pure, first and foremost. God forbid, if you had died and lost that chance, would this have been more important to you? Missing the chance to be a Khalsa? Please, dont waste this chance, people who take Amrit are truly blessed, and it's not just another one of those things, it's a rebirth, go and become Guru Ji's daughter and let us know how it goes. As far as I know, there is no prohibition on taking Amrit, period or no period, anyone can.

Take care, my thoughts and wishes are with you, may Vaheguru bless you with his gift soon.

BTW Welcome Penji ^_^

Gurfateh

I think you should post these types of questions on The Mata Bhaag Kaur Jagrati Dal Website. Just for the sake of getting the best answers from other Singhnees. Although the above answer is thumbs_up.gif .

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

errm we have enough singhniyans here to reply. I think our Guru's didnt hesitated to discuss such issues then we shouldnt either.

ijau jorU isrnwvxI AwvY vwro vwr ]

jio joroo siranaavanee aavai vaaro vaar ||

As a woman has her periods, month after month,

jUTy jUTw muiK vsY inq inq hoie KuAwru ]

joot(h)ae joot(h)aa mukh vasai nith nith hoe khuaar ||

so does falsehood dwell in the mouth of the false; they suffer forever, again and again.

sUcy eyih n AwKIAih bhin ij ipMfw Doie ]

soochae eaehi n aakheeahi behan j pi(n)ddaa dhhoe ||

They are not called pure, who sit down after merely wash

ing their bodies.

sUcy syeI nwnkw ijn min visAw soie ]2]

soochae saeee naanakaa jin man vasiaa soe ||2||

Only they are pure, O Nanak, within whose minds the Lord abides. ||2||

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?Sour...ID=G&pageno=472

Guru jee says that what makes one impure is, not remembering waheguru. Such beliefs that woman are unclean during those times have value in sikhi.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am feeling lot more clear about this now. As for joining the Mata Bhaag Kaur Jaagriti Dal, I have submitted my application for joining the group, but a message said that the membership can only be approved through some existing members' references.

Any ideas how to get this reference?

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Those living in Slough (UK) will know of SWAN (Siklh Women's Awareness Network) set up under Akal Purkh Ki FAuj (UK). I don't know if they still do seva, but they puplished a newsletter "Islam and Sikhism: A comparative view on women." This is what is said in the newsletter, and i believe is true as it has been backed up with relevent Gurbani;

In Sikhism, the menstrual cycle is not considered pollutant. Certainly, it can have a sphysical and physiological effect on the woman. Nonetheless, this is not considered a hindrance to her wanting to pray or accoplish her religious duties full. The Guru makes it very clear that the menstrual cycle is a God given process. The blood of a a woman is required for the creation of any human being.

'By coming together of the mother and father are we created,

By the union of the mother's blood and the father's semen is the body made.

To the Lord is the creature devoted, when hanging head downwards in the womb;

He whom he contemplates, for him provides' (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, pg 1013)

The requirements of the Mother's blood is fundamental for life. Thus, the menstrual cycle is certainly an essential and God given biological process. In other faiths blood is considered a pollutant. However, the Guru rejects such superstitious ideas. Thos who are impur

e from within are the truly impure ones.

This Shabad is by Guru Nanak Dev Ji in Raag Maajh on Pannaa 140

sloku mÚ 1 ]

Shalok, First Mehl:

jy rqu lgY kpVY jwmw hoie plIqu ]

If one's clothes are stained with blood, the garment becomes polluted.

jo rqu pIvih mwxsw iqn ikau inrmlu cIqu ]

Those who suck the blood of human beings-how can their consciousness be pure?

nwnk nwau Kudwie kw idil hCY muiK lyhu ]

O Nanak, chant the Name of God, with heart-felt devotion.

Avir idvwjy dunI ky JUTy Aml kryhu ]1]

Everything else is just a pompous worldly show, and the practice of false deeds. ||1||

Meditating on God's name is of importance. Whether your clothes are blood stained or not (inlcuding stained from menstrual blood) is not of importance. Thus, there are no restrictions placed` on a woman during her menstruation. She is free to visit the Gurdwara, take part in the prayers and do Seva.

When Guru Jee blesses you, take the chance.

If your from the UK, i think there is an Amrit Sanchaar at the Derby Rehnsbai on 14th Feb, but i'm not 100% on that.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

There is a hindu temple in south india called tirupathi. women between ages of 14 to 50 are not allowed coz they have periods ohmy.gif . and to go there u have to shave ur head :)

so basically

SIKHI IS THE BEST

i dont think the question is about being thought of as unpure. maybe its about wearing a kachera at that time not being practical since its not very fitting. i dont think there should be a problem with women wearing regular panties. the symbols are mainly meant to help sikhs represent their beliefs but a kachera wont show anyway so why bother? please dont say "because its the hukam" just why it would be wrong to wear regular underwear