Questioned About Kesh And Dastar

iaana

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh...

I was in college a few days ago and a friend of mine asked me why I wore a dastar and was not allowed to cut my hair.. I gave the following answers but I want to know if I said anything wrong or what I missed out, So in future, when I get asked these questions I can answer in more detail.. Plus i’m always asked these kind of questions as the number of Sikhs in ma college is VERY little...

Kesh.. God has put hair on our body.. We believe that We should preserve our body just as god has made us.. If god didn't want us to have hair then he would have made us all bold.. Also when a Gursikh meditates on gods name we believe that each strand of hair also vibrates on his name..

Dastar... well firstly it is our uniform.. as when one is wearing a Dastar, it can be recognised from anywhere.. Secondly it is to cover our heads as we should be meditating on the name of god 24-7.. as u see Muslims, Jews and even the Pope cover there heads at time of pray as a sign or respect and humbleness .. It is also to protect our hair as it is such a strong part of our religion.. and back in the days only kings and people with a high name (such as guru ji) used to wear turbans... so in the same way we wear turbans.. This also reminds us not to act like an <banned word filter activated> but to have a high character of a king/guru... This also shows that all us brothers and sisters are equal.. We don’t have a rule that if you are a certain caste you cant wear a turban.. We are one family..

In our history we have had so much pain and suffering as a result of our beliefs. Just going back 3 to 4 hundred years ago Sikhs were wrapped in wool and burned alive, Thrown into boiling oil, cut in half, had their scalps ripped off, rolled on wheels with blades and sooooo much more. Thousands and thousands of Sikhs have died so we Sikhs can keep our hair and wear a turban today .. So this is why I feel so passionately about keeping my Hair and wearing a turban. Why jeopardise something by my own will… when soooooo many Sikhs died for their beliefs…

As u can probably tell it sounds quite made up... so help me out.. It’s a frequently asked question as this is what mostly makes us stand out from the rest....

I was always taught it was so Sikhs couldn't hide themselves like many Delhi Sikhs did when Guru Tegh Bahadhur was publically executed and people denied being Sikh when the soldiers challenged them to protect their Guru.

You can't really run that "Gods natural look" argument because from my experience someone will ask "well why do you cut your finger and toe nails then?"

Also Sikhs are an unusually symbolic people and the turban represents authority where we come from, so a part of Guru Gobind Singh's emancipation was to lift EVERYONE to authority with a dastar. When you relate that to the context of the caste system it makes sense.

You can't really run that "Gods natural look" argument because from my experience someone will ask "well why do you cut your finger and toe nails then?"
http://www.realsikhism.com/faq/hairnail.html

Q: Why Sikhs do not cut their hair but they cut their nails?

A: It is often argued that hair and nails are similar, but even a superficial study of the two shows them to be extremely different from each other. Hair is not a hindrance to anyone. Because hair can be placed in a bun and kept clean and does perform a number of functions, it is only pragmatic to realize that hair is not bad. On the other hand, nails are an important part of the human body, having long nails is a hindrance to the body. An individual with long nails cannot functions and do everyday chores comfortably. In order to ensure that one can perform the tasks of everyday life, nails are trimmed.

In addition, whereas the hair grows from a tubular pit (hair follicle), formed by sinking in of the most actively dividing layer of the skin (stratum germinativum) into the lower dermis, the nails are only modifications of the upper dead layers of the skin (stratum corneum). Further, the base of every follicle bulges out forming an inverted cup, which receives blood capillaries for nourishment and nerve fibers to make the hair sensitive. An oil gland, known as sebaceous gland, opens into every hair follicle, the secretion of which lubricates the hair. A muscle is also attached to the base of every hair for bringing about movement. Pigments are added to the shaft of the hair as it grows. None of these features is associated with the nails.

Structurally also, hair is extremely strong, and resists breaking due to its elasticity and flexibility. Strength of hair can be estimated from the following facts, a human hair laid on a bar of steel and then passed through a cold rolling mill would leave an imprint on the face of the steel. A hair of a man's beard is about as strong as a copper wire of the same dimensions. If a rope were made out of strands of long hair, it would be strong enough to lift an automobile. Nails, on the other hand, are very brittle and rigid, breaking off easily. Hair are countless (upto 1,25,000 on head region alone), thereby increasing the surface area, as if to meet a specific requirement.

The differences between the two do not end with the structural features. Even the body's response towards the two is totally different. Our body, throughout life, tries to maintain a particular length of hair. And if the hair is cut anywhere, the body responds by growing it again to the specific length. It clearly indicates the link of the body with the hair all along its length. The body shows no such response to the nails, which grow from birth to death at the same rate, irrespective of whether cut or not. It follows, thus, that cutting of nails does not tell on the body at all, whereas, cutting of hair puts extra load on the body. To sum up, if there is anything on the head that can be compared with the nails, it is dandruff!

Nature knows best what to discard or retain. Whatever is retained is not without purpose. Hair is a gift from God, not a burden. Guru Gobind Singh Ji, in his infinite wisdom, commanded us to respect hair and refrain from tampering with it. This is the visible token of his affection for us, as well as our faith in him.

http://www.whyichosesikhism.com/?p=answers&ans=1

Q: It is not permissible for Sikhs to cut their hair, be it on the face, head or genitalia and elsewhere. This is because you should remain the way God created you? Correct? -Then why do you cut your nails. Why are the Gurus portrayed in pictures with short finely smoothed off nails, like they've just been to Toni & Guy's?

A: We keep kesh because the Guru told us to do so. Nothing more. Kesh are also a marker of Sikh identity that identify to the world who is a Sikh. Sikhs walk the earth announcing proudly their religion while others give no sign of their convictions. In addition, hair and nails are totally different. Having long nails inhibits use of the hand and is dirty with filth being stuck under the nails as well as bacteria. Long hair is quite healthy as it is even a reflection of good health: (when healthy, hair shines, when sick, it loses luster), it is also not an impediment to daily life. In fact, you'll be healthier if you have long hair: no body resources go to replacing the hair that was cut: isn't it a slap on the face when you shave and then a day later, the hair returns? Maybe it was supposed to be there! Nails, if left uncut, will break; Hair never will.

http://www.sikhism101.com/node/148

Why don't Sikhs cut their hair?

The unshorn hair (Kesh) is part of nature and God's system. Sikhs maintains long unshorn hair ('Kesh') as an act of acceptance of God's Will and living as nature intended, sustaining the individual in higher consciousness. The unshorn hair is regarded with the highest importance in the Sikh religion and is one of the basic requirements for a Sikh. Dishonouring one's hair is one of the four Bajjar Kurehats (cardinal sins), which the Guru has told a Sikh never to commit. A Sikh doesn't disfigure their hair from head to toe because of the Guru's order to maintain the sanctity of the Kesh. Nothing else matters. A Sikh does what their Guru tells them to do.

ਮਾਈ ਸਤਿ ਸਤਿ ਸਤਿ ਹਰਿ ਸਤਿ ਸਤਿ ਸਤਿ ਸਾਧਾ ॥

ਬਚਨੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਜੋ ਪੂਰੈ ਕਹਿਓ ਮੈ ਛੀਕਿ ਗਾਂਠਰੀ ਬਾਧਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

"O mother, True, True True is the Lord, and True, True, True is the Guru.

The Word, which the Perfect Guru has spoken, I have tied to my robe. ||1||Pause||"

(Ang 1204)

The Kesh act as the identity for a Sikh as well being a spiritual and practical tool that helps the body. Guru Nanak Sahib Ji, the founder of the Sikh Path, followed the ancient practice of the sages, prophets, and holy mystics of keeping the hair unshorn because keeping it in a natural state is regarded as living in harmony with the Will of Vaheguru.

The biological functions and benefits of human body hair are for example:

* The hair on our head protects the skull and brain

* The hair on our body acts an insulator and is linked to our nervous system

* Our eyebrows prevent water going into your eyes

* Facial hair absorb ether energy

* The hair under our armpits prevent friction and irritation when we move our arms

Bhai Desa Singh, records Guru Gobind Singh Ji's given discipline in a Rehitnaama (Order of discipline):

ਜਬ ਪਹਿਲੇ ਸਬ ਸਿ੍ਰਸਿਟ ਉਪਾਈ । ਤਬ ਹੀ ਮਾਨੁਖ ਦੇਹਿ ਬਨਾਈ ।

ਤਨ ਇਸ ਕੇ ਸਿਰ ਕੇਸ ਜੁ ਦੀਨੋ । ਸੋ ਇਹ ਤਨ ਸ਼ਿੰਗਾਰਿਹ ਕੀਨੋ ।

ਦਾੜ੍ਹਾ ਮੁੱਛ ਸਿਰ ਕੇਸ ਬਨਾਈ । ਹੈ ਇਹ ਦਿ੍ੜ ਜਿਹ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਰਜ਼ਾਈ ।

ਮੇਟ ਰਜ਼ਾਇ ਜੁ ਸੀਸ ਮੁੰਡਾਵੈ । ਕਹੁ ਤੇ ਜਗ ਕੈਸੇ ਹਰਿ ਪਾਵੈ ।

"God created the whole universe and then he fashioned the human body. He gave man a beard, moustaches and hair on the head. He who submits to His Will steadfastly adheres to them. They who deny His Will how will they find God in this world?"

As well as having biological functions and benefits, the hair is sacred due to the fact that spiritual energy abides within each and every pore of hair on the body. The hairs are like electrical wires, which preserve, carry and vibrate energy. When one chants & meditates the Divine- Name (Naam), each hair vibrates. Sikhs do not forcibly or intentionally remove any hair from the body but maintain clean hair with proper washing; tying and keeping them covered are requirements for a Sikh.

Gurbaani (the Divine Word) says:

ਰੋਮ ਰੋਮ ਮਹਿ ਬਸਹਿ ਮੁਰਾਰਿ ॥

"On each and every hair, the Lord abides."

(Ang 344)

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਰੋਮਿ ਰੋਮਿ ਹਰਿ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥

"The Gurmukh meditates on the Lord with every hair of his body."

(Ang 941)

----- NAILS & HAIR -----

Someone could argue why do Sikhs cut their nails when they don't cut their hair. Firstly, nails and the importance of hair cannot be compared. The hair is sacred that have a spiritual importance whereas the nails merely have biological function. Secondly, nails naturally remain short as they are brittle and rigid as a result of which they break off easily. A Sikh is required to do seva (selfless service) with his or her hands. When a individual uses their hands to do selfless service of washing up dirty dishes, cleaning shoes, sweeping the floor, cooking and serving food then there is no possibility for nails to remain long.

----- BHAI TARU SINGH JI - SCALPED ALIVE -----

A Sikh lives in the grace and glory of God. The Kesh are magnificent. Biologically, physically and spiritually they do so much for us. Looking at the Kesh of a Sikh one sees the Sikh principle of "Living in the Will (Bhaanaa) of the Almighty." The Kesh is a symbol of Sikhism and what the fundamental belief of Sikhs. Bhai Taru Singh jee is a Shaheed (martyr) who is a living reminder of what the Kesh means to the Khalsa. When asked to give up his faith and denounce Sikhi, he preferred to have his scalp removed than cut and disfigure his Sacred Kesh.

At the end of the day, if someone has any regard for Gurujee's hukam, if he/she has an iota of respect for the martyrdom of Shaheed Bhai Taru Singh Ji, he/she will rather accept/admit his/her own incapability/weakness of not being able to keep Sikhi saroop as compared to trying to justify that keeping hair is not necessary anymore. I am not pointing to anyone in particular as a lot of people have the above mentioned preconceived notions and that is when it is useless to debate.

Mehtab I thought your post was complete <mod-cut> (not personal attack btw.)

Anyone with an average IQ would demolish that argument in moments. I suggest you read up on biology.

Using a pretty much discredited rahit nama doesn't help either.

I'll stick to what I was taught as it actually makes sense.

Mod note: personal attack or not you've been warned previously about using language that sets a poor example for youngsters using the forum.

Mehtab I thought your post was complete bo.llox (not personal attack btw.)

Anyone with an average IQ would demolish that argument in moments. I suggest you read up on biology.

Using a pretty much discredited rahit nama doesn't help either.

I'll stick to what I was taught as it actually makes sense.

fair enough, but at least justify yourself, explain where you tihnk mehtab singh is wrong and explain to us why that is the case

Thats fine. I'll give you the logic given by Gyani Sant Singh Jee Maskeen. He said nails that protrude beyond the boundary line of the fingers are dead cells, whereas hair isn't. Thus cutting nails is no way comparable to cutting hair. And another Singh once told me that if Gurujee had given the hukam of keeping nails, we would have kept nails as well. No question about it.

Choose the one that makes sense to you.

And my biology is not upto the mark, but that of a professional doctor is. Here is a 50 page article by Dr. Birendra Kaur entitled "Hail hair", where she explains the difference between hair and nails. Maybe this would clarify things up as well.

http://www.gurmat.info/sms/smspublications/Hail%20Hair.pdf

iaana ji....I think you gave a pretty good answer :TH:

As for the nails thing, in my personal view I see nails as being "tools" given to you by Waheguru, these "tools" need to be maintained (if you don't cut your nails then dirt and bacteria will build up under the nail and this will lead to infections). In a certain sense your teeth can be considered "tools" as well, like when you go to the dentist and they fix your teeth by grinding, cutting, or pulling out a tooth. Regular maintenance is also required for your teeth (brushing, cleaning, flossing, ect.) and if you don't do this your teeth will get rotten or fall out or you'll get some kind of gum disease. :)