Concept Of After Life

sikh_youth_uk

Sikhi talks about souls being one with God, in other faiths it talks about rewards and punishment of a physical person.

The ones talk about rewards and punishment of a person bury so how does the body reach where they think it is meant go???

Could our argument be stronger in that we cremate so the soul can reach where we feel its going or even in to another entity??

Some people tell me that by cremating the body, the soul can leave the body quicker - but what about being an organ donor, coz that's still a part of your body but its a really big seva to do grin.gif

But then I suppose it's not your organ anymore hmmm.gif

What is the actual reason for cremation?

:ans please.gif

Some people tell me that by cremating the body, the soul can leave the body quicker - but what about being an organ donor, coz that's still a part of your body but its a really big seva to do grin.gif

But then I suppose it's not your organ anymore hmmm.gif

What is the actual reason for cremation?

:ans please.gif

the reason why christians,muslims bury a body is because they believe in a final day of judgement where every1 is judged (dead and living) for there god and bad deeds (at the end of the world) so the soul stays in the body until this day of judgement.

as sikhs we recognise that the soul leaves the body at death, and goes to the court of dharam raj or to sachkand, so we dont see any point in keeping the dead body...so we cremate it

i dont think that there is anything anti gurmat with organ donation

The body is nothing more than skin and bones, without the soul we are a non entity, a carcass. Cremating an empty carcass as a means of disposing what really is a waste product of a manukha jevaan makes more sense than burying the carcass.

Our actions and karams earned in our jeevans is what will determine our journey in the “after life”. Naam kamai has to complemented by Karam (actions) and karam can only come from Rehat.

The body has nothing to do with the departure of the soul. Firstly, muslims and christians are mistaken by their concept of judgement day - judgement day is actually when the body dies and the soul is taken by the messenger of death to be given judgement by Dharam Rai. THe punishment in the next life depends on the actions of this life. A few examples are, hell, 8.4 million life forms, ghost, goblin, just one animal life etc. The Muslim's belief of the soul staying in the body is false, how can it when the body eventually is eaten up by worms and becomes what it would have if it was cremated. No such thing. People think they're free but they really find out how free they are when they die. Sin cages the souls, Naam japna helps the soul, but earning the wealth of Naam liberates the soul and unites it with God, turning it into an immortal.

Finally, becoming one with God is not an easy task, so much Naam jap has to be done. Once Naam finds a place in our mind and heart then, and only then do we earn the wealth of naam which will easily lead us to God. This is what Guru Nanak Dev Ji wants us Sikhs to aim for, but he says that having love for God is difficult at first. We have to have Sat Sangat/Ransbais and amritvela where we jap naam constantly, in order to jap it 24/7 and begin to love God. Naam jap can be done any time, but the special and most effective time are the ones mention above. Continuing on, our soul constantly cries yearning for God, even now, but we cannot hear the soul due the sin and filth blocking, standing like a wall between the mind and soul. Gurmukhs reach a stage when they go into bairaag, this is the state where they can hear and feel the soul crying out yearning for God. Only a Gurmukh can reach this stage and become one with God. Guru Nanak Dev Ji's mission was to create Gurmukhs/True Saints.

Read:

- bhai rama singh ji's book: in search of the true guru

- bhai sahib randhir singh ji's book: unditi duniya (pardon the spelling)

I was talking to Christian friend yesterday - actually, he is a Jehova's Witness and would call himself a TRUE Christian, but he was saying Christian do not have to be buried, they can be cremated. The burial comes from the Jewish tradition I guess.

As for Sikh afterlife idea being superior, I thought so too, until I read an accotn of how you become judged and doesn't matter if you are good or bad, if you do not believe in the true Sikhi, you are treated very poorly. I thoguht this sounded a lot like Catholicism and really dishearted me that our religion shoul duse scare tactics instead of love to make us do good deeds in this life. :-(

I was talking to Christian friend yesterday - actually, he is a Jehova's Witness and would call himself a TRUE Christian, but he was saying Christian do not have to be buried, they can be cremated. The burial comes from the Jewish tradition I guess.

As for Sikh afterlife idea being superior, I thought so too, until I read an accotn of how you become judged and doesn't matter if you are good or bad, if you do not believe in the true Sikhi, you are treated very poorly. I thoguht this sounded a lot like Catholicism and really dishearted me that our religion shoul duse scare tactics instead of love to make us do good deeds in this life. :-(

Your second paragraph is difficult to read, what are you saying? please clarify

Miripiri ji,

It is not a matter of scare tactics, it is a matter of truth. The plain truth is that if you are not “Guru-walley” then it is very difficult for the atma on the other side. Firstly there is no one to guide you, you are alone with nothing – very scary indeed. Only if you have “Guru – di – mohar” do you have any guidance and support.

As for the Chris/Mus here is a scenario : A person dies, they bury him, he decomposes into the soil which in turn is used to grow food which is eaten by another person. What happens at judgement day ? What if the second person dies, who raises from the dead then, the first or the second person?

What is very astonishing is how the worlds “great” religions could have got it soo wrong ?

Anyway no worries, read on and tremble :

Those men who are intent upon wisdom go to the highest goal; the sinfully-inclined go miserably to the torments of the Yama. Listen how the misery of this world accrues to the sinful, then how they, having passed through death, meet with torments. Having experienced the good or the bad actions, in accordance with his former earning,--then, as the result of his actions, some disease arises. Powerful death, unexpectedly, like a serpent, approaches him stricken with bodily and mental pain, yet anxiously hoping to live. Not yet tired of life, being cared for by his dependents, with his body deformed through old age, nearing death, in the house, He remains, like a house-dog, eating what is ungraciously placed before him, diseased, with failing digestion, eating little, moving little. With eyes turned up through loss of vitality, with tubes obstructed by phlegm, exhausted by coughing and difficult breathing, with the death rattle in his throat. Lying encircled by his sorrowing relatives; though being spoken to he does not answer, being caught in the noose of death. In this condition, with mind busy with the support of his family, with senses unconquered, swooning with intense pain he dies amidst his weeping relatives. In this last moment, a divine vision arises -- all the worlds appear as one -- and he does not attempt to say anything.

In the midst of the way flows the terribly horrible Vaitara River, which when seen inspires misery, of which even an account arouses fear. Extending a hundred yojanas, a flow of pus and blood, impassable, with heaps of bones on the banks, with mud of flesh and blood, Un-fordable, impassable for the sinful, obstructed with hairy moss, filled with huge crocodiles. and crowded with hundreds of dreadful birds. When it sees the sinful approaching, this river, overspread with flames and smoke, seethes, like butter in the frying-pan: Covered all over with dreadful throngs of insects with piercing stings, infested with huge vultures and crows with adamantine beaks, Filled with porpoises, with crocodiles, with leeches, fishes and turtles, and with other flesh-eating water-animals. Very sinful people, fallen into the flood, cry, O Brother, O Son, O Father!'--again and again wailing. Hungry and thirsty the sinful drink the blood, it is said. That river, flowing with blood, carrying much foam, very dreadful, with powerful roaring, difficult to see into, fear-inspiring,--at the very sight of it the sinful swoon away. Covered with many scorpions, and with black snakes,--of those who have fallen into the midst of this, there is no rescuer whatever. By hundreds of thousands of whirlpools the sinful descend to the lower region. They stay for a moment in the lower region, after the moment rising again