Warriors and fighting

AK-47

I do not mean to cause any trouble by this question but just thought it needed to be discussed.

As we have seen there is another gatka tournament comiong up, i think that brilliant, the more the better.

What i wanted to ask is concerning what happned at one such event before. where some twits who call themselves nihangs turned up and started challenging people and carrying a camera about to record themselves.

This according to them is 'khalsa tradition' as they are trying to improve their khalsa warrior fighting skills!!

BUT

if anybody else challenges any of them then its 'ego' ?!

Firstly whats the view on that? Are not all challenges slightly if not completely based on ego? Even if your trying to improve ur skills, can u do that without ego? i dont think you can!

Secondly how can you claim to be a khalsa or a warrior of anything and be afraid of a little clash? I dont really care too much about ancient warrior traditions, cus im sure most fights dont work on traditions of old, but if you've never actually had a fight can you claim to be a warrior? either street or competitively? maybe its just me but wouldnt it be a bit shameful for a warrior to turn down a challenge from an equally skilled opponent?

I do not mean to cause any trouble by this question but just thought it needed to be discussed.

As we have seen there is another gatka tournament comiong up, i think that brilliant, the more the better.

What i wanted to ask is concerning what happned at one such event before. where some twits who call themselves nihangs turned up and started challenging people and carrying a camera about to record themselves.

This according to them is 'khalsa tradition' as they are trying to improve their khalsa warrior fighting skills!!

BUT

if anybody else challenges any of them then its 'ego' ?!

Firstly whats the view on that? Are not all challenges slightly if not completely based on ego? Even if your trying to improve ur skills, can u do that without ego? i dont think you can!

Secondly how can you claim to be a khalsa or a warrior of anything and be afraid of a little clash? I dont really care too much about ancient warrior traditions, cus im sure most fights dont work on traditions of old, but if you've never actually had a fight can you claim to be a warrior? either street or competitively? maybe its just me but wouldnt it be a bit shameful for a warrior to turn down a challenge from an equally skilled opponent?

Waheguru jio!

Ya i actually didnt see dat... a little funny but bad at da same time unsure.gif

A singh once told me... the phrase "saintsoldier" is often given to us... u gotta be a saint first to be a soldier.... cant be the other way around u see wat im saying....

And what u have pointed out is yes i can say ego from the other person challenging ... but to just simply spread out the feeling of the atmosphere is also reason.. but almost most of the time its all ego... i agree wit u bro ...

bul chuk maph

They are 'bhang-singh', not nihang-singh any more. there was a time in hisotry when Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji said, "enhi ki kirpa ke saje hum hai, nahi mo se gareeb karor pare. judh jite enhi ke prashad, enhi ke prasad vidiya lahi.." (sorry for transliteration and mistakes). At that time they were Nihung (meaning 'crocodile' in Farsi) who were saint-soldiers, such as Baba Deep Singh Ji, Akali Phoola Singh Ji, Baba Banda Bahadur, Sardar Hari Singh Nalwa, and many more whose names were never mentioned anywhere in history. During that time, Sikh Kaum was in cherdi kala, and now it is going to the oposite direction.

I think it is irrelavent to the topic, but I would like to mention this one point. Bhai Vir Singh Ji wrote in "Satwant Kaur" about when and why Nihungs started using Bhang (marajuana). As everybody knows during the mughal raaj, the times were very very difficult. Moghuls were enemies of the Sikhs and made it very very difficult for them to stay in their houses, which made Singhs stay in jungles, which was a very very difficult like. The food was not easily available and they could be attacked any time by moghuls. There was no bed or any other comfertable mean to rest and sleep because they had to stay awake cuz they don't know when moghuls would come and attack them, and they also had to prepare themselves to fight with moghuls to rescue hindu women that moghuls were used to take to other contries for auction. During these days, Singhs had to stay awake for many many days. Imagine if we don't sleep a day or two, we can't do anything, we can't even open our eyes. During these days, Singhs started taking lil bit of bhang just to keep them awake a

nd prepared for any situation. They used bhang only for this purpose, just like a medicine, because they needed something to keep them awake and make their body function for any unsuspected situation. They never took bhang just for pleasure or any other reason. This is how bhang tradition started.

But today's nihangs are polluting an image of our great great warriors who sacrificed everything for the panth. They left their home just to keep their identity alive. They didn't have to leave their homes; they could convert to Islam and live their lives easily with their families. But they didn't choose this option. They lived as Sikhs and died as Sikhs, keeping Sikhi alive forever and set a unique example for us.

But nihangs today have made bhang a ritual, something that they must do to call themselves nihungs. But they forgot that puran nihungs were sant-sipahi. Puratan nihungs used bhang as medicine to keep themselves awake, but today's nihungs use bhang to go to sleep.

sadh sangat ji, this is what i have read in that book, and please forgive me if i have offended anyone. bhul chuk di khima...

Vaheguru ji ka Khalsa Vaheguru ji ke fateh!

As my Bro JSingh has just pointed out, these are bhanj-singhs...it's a shame to say this but the nihangs have been corrupted as lot of men join the Dal's because the get food, water, shelter..not for the true purpose.

I believe it was a tradition to challenge other warriors but this was not a tradition that started with the Khalsa. This was a tradition that started from the Hindu Warrior caste because the were very egoistic.

Therefore, AK-47, you are right most challenges will be a display of ego unless you are challenging someone who has offended sikhi or your guru. If that is the case, then your challenge is righteous.

If you wish to improve you skills in gatka/shaster vidiya, then you do not necessarily need to challenge others because you can spar with other students, your master, etc.

With regards to your question about being a warrior and being afraid of a little clash...then all I will say is that, I was taught, 'I wise warrior knows when to walk away from a situation and when to pick up arms'. It's useless fighting because someone has called you a chicken, but if someone has said something about sikhi, they need to be put straight.

Anyone can learn the art of fighting and say they are a warrior. But, this does not make them a khalsa warrior. A khalsa warrior is a saint first and a soldier after...that way, this warrior will always fight on the side of good!

It would be a shame to turn down a challenge and most warriors will not do this because they can learn from their opponet or realise their own skill. The difficulty with adopting a warrior philo

sophy is knowing how to balance humility and warrior traditions. As a sikh you should stay humble and not let your ego get the better of you...but if you never fight someone or turn down every challenge how do you improve?

I guess, only guru ji can guide you if you end up in this situation.

Anyway, I hope this helps....

Bhula chuka maaf....

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ke fateh!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...