Balance Between Sikhi And Society?!

Nokia

Is there a balance between religion and society?

Should there be?

Veer Nokia....i need to know more to answar this one....what exactly do you point to?....

Casually speaking, i think Sikhi teaches us to live a honest living and make the world a better place for others also, besides ur self.....like do selfless seva and help others who are helpless and weak. So by doing this i guess, Sikhs can live in every society and create a balance between their life and the scoiety..... rolleyes.gif

now as i said, i need to know what this balance is....is it political or just social , or pyschological....

Sat Sri Akal:

Singh Sahib, balance in the Sikh community was lost even before Ranjit Singh's rule. It was noted that before Maharaja Ranjit Singh, the Misls had divided the Punjab into distinct territories. There was fighting BETWEEN the Misl leaders (aka. against other Sikhs!).

Nokia Sahib(an?) could you clarify the question? Do you mean to ask whether there is a conflict between Sikh way of life and the worldly life or a conflict between Sikhi and Sikh soceity?

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

See the question is more like take these 2 as examples

these are examples from both extreems..

1) A sikh who really isnt religious, who goes out and rarely remembers god as the giver. Totally induldging into society.

2) A sikh who is only into becomming one with god, nothing on this earth matters. All that matters is nam jappna.

Now what im asking is, do you feel that there is somewhat of a middle for both?

Where you could be on the path to becoming one with god, but yet.. still keeping a place in society.

A Sikh (as Bhai Gurdas Jee tells us) is like the lotus-flower who is in the muddy waters BUT never gets mud on it...

We are like this lotus flower pyareo, wherever we are we live in the Khalsay Tradition, against all odds. We need not take irrational steps like keeping our children behind locked doors, but wherever we go we keep the grace of our Guru's teachings. I think with this we indeed create our 'own' society--which can be only for us as individuals, or as a family, or sangat, etc. Many Sikh societies as you have discussed are not 'that great' themselves--full of politics, gossip, alcohol, pre-mature relationships, etc...

We can go anywhere but always protect our minds, ears, eyes, body, heart, etc from filth. That is indeed the strength of those who face his lotus-feet. Look at this forum, most of us live in countries outside of India (even India is quite polluted with the filth of bad society!) and we have all managed to keep ourselves in virtue, in truthful living, and in the Khalsa spirit.

As per making a place in society, those who walk on this path, are always remembered by others, if not now, certainly in due time...Those who are true never go unnoticed...

The true Society is that which lovingly repeats the praises of Waheguru and in all their actions/words..in every moment they become that same light...

Warmest waheguru fateh,

Summeet Kaur

Guest SikhForLife

deep singh had an excellent repond.. thats what i was thinking too

if u can see God in all then you wuold like Society.. so a sikh can live in any society ..

balance?

well.. you create your own "balance"..

depends on u how u want to live in society ur actions will create ur balance

either u can be a sikh or be slave to the filth...