Organ Donation

sall

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh

Not sure if this topic was started before if so please provide the links

What are sangat's views on organ donation? There are many quotes in the SGGS that suggest this human body is just a vessell for the soul then why do so many Sikhs do not donate their organs? Is this because of some hindu methodolgy where some sikhs refuse to donate or is it because some fear that we were given this body intact by the almighty then what gives us the right for it to be messed about with after it has finished it's role in this world?

Thanks in advance

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh

Not sure if this topic was started before if so please provide the links

What are sangat's views on organ donation? There are many quotes in the SGGS that suggest this human body is just a vessell for the soul then why do so many Sikhs do not donate their organs? Is this because of some hindu methodolgy where some sikhs refuse to donate or is it because some fear that we were given this body intact by the almighty then what gives us the right for it to be messed about with after it has finished it's role in this world?

Thanks in advance

waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh

very good topic...!!! well, it depepnds upon person to person, some want to help others and some don't. i remember i have filled up few forms and have said that i would like to donate my eyes, heart, lungs and any other part of the body that someone can find it useful in their life. But i don't know who and how would some one come and get it from my deadbody. i think i should let my parents know about it that when i die, do the kiriyaa-karmm later on, first ring the emgency and tell them to take off as many parts from my body as they can.....!!!

I have never heard any hindu ritual behind this that you are not supposed to donate body organs.

whats your views on this people....??

bhul chuk maaf karni

waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh

What is the Sikh attitude towards organ donation?

Sikh philosophy and belief place a great deal of importance on generosity and putting others before oneself. Sikhism also stresses noble deeds, and one would be hard-pressed to identify a more noble act than organ donation.

Sikhs generally accept brain death as an indication of the departure of life from a body. The body is the shell and home for the soul. When the soul departs from the body, the body is useless.

ਜੇ ਮਿਰਤਕ ਕਉ ਚੰਦਨੁ ਚੜਾਵੈ ॥ ਉਸ ਤੇ ਕਹਹੁ ਕਵਨ ਫਲ ਪਾਵੈ ॥

ਜੇ ਮਿਰਤਕ ਕਉ ਬਿਸਟਾ ਮਾਹਿ ਰੁਲਾਈ ॥ ਤਾਂ ਮਿਰਤਕ ਕਾ ਕਿਆ ਘਟਿ ਜਾਈ ॥੩॥

"If a corpse is anointed with sandalwood oil, what good does it do?

If a corpse is rolled in manure, what does it lose from this? ||3||"

(Ang 1160)

The Sikh religion teaches that life continues after death in the soul, and not the physical body. The last act of giving and helping others through organ donation is both consistent with and in the spirit of Sikh teachings.

Discussing organ donation with family and friends is a responsible and thoughtful act. As well, signing an organ donor card and, in the rare circumstance where a person is left brain-dead and their organs are fit for giving, donation itself are acts motivated by compassion and a sense of responsibility.

In fact, the integrity of the body argument is largely a red herring: A person who has had a cancerous kidney removed, or a leg amputated because of diabetes is no less whole than one who donates their vital organs to save a life.

http://sikhism101.com/node/172

^ :@ vaddi siani . thats a diff. kind of ego. Let me explain

like whn one serves dal in langar he/she feels the ego .. oh i am serving dal, i am great tongue.gif as opposed to the ego he/she will have thinking about serving dal. This won't be the case while donating organs :)