Sikh Culture - Asking Parents For Girl's Hand In Marriage

LifeIsBeautiful

Dear Sangat Ji,

As luck would have it, I finally found a person who I really consider to be honest, and kind, and all those things, that a person looks for in marrying someone. However, I don't really know what the rules are in asking the parents?

I live in Canada, do I just propose infront of the parents, or do I ask the parents? I honestly don't know?

What do you do in this case?

Guest wallace singh

If ever in your life you were old fashioned, this is the time to do it. Even if you don't formally introduce your folks to his or hers (I'm assuming you're the guy since you're asking about the proposal), you better ask Mom and Dad, for sure. Being proper goes a long way towards warming them up to you.

As I'm sure many people will point out, this is a youth forum and the large majority of people here have little experience with these things. It would probably be better asking older Sikhs for their advice.

But here's mine, if you want it; ideally you should ask your parents to approach the girl's parents about marriage. I get the feeling that might not be an option for you, so in that case ask some elder Gursikhs in your area/the girl's area if they will help you out.