Christmas Message For Sikhs

Akaali

Again from another thread...

We had 4 shabibzaddayen di shaheedi, Mata Gujri jee passed away in this month and even Guru Tegh bahadur jee sahheed in between november/december. Two chotay shaibzaday and mata gujri ji spent cold night outside in burj. Countless singh attained shaheedi in the battle of Chamkaur. Vichora of Guru Gobind Singh ji and his tough journey thru machheey vara jungle and sleeping on hard floor.

If we go in details.. 10,000 sikh soldiers fought in the battle of moodke against British to protect Punjab Sarkar. Since we lost that battle, thousands of khalsa sarkar soldiers died in that battlefield.

So.. how can we celebrate anything in December??

Very well said bro! d_oh.gif vaheguru, may guru saheb bless us with the understanding instead of following our own manmat on this.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wait, why should we even celebrate our Guru's gurpurabs? (wow i'm gonna get KILLED for saying this)

their message was eternal, their physical bodies were just the temporal house for them. As Singh123 has said before, Why do we assume guru nanak only came in 1469? and why do we put this boatload of importance on the time period they were here rather than the message they preached?

We should ACTUALLY be celebrating gurpurab EVERYDAY... not just on the prescribed days.. EVERY SINGLE day should be a celebration of the Greatness of our Great Gurus..

so why should we condemn the supposed manmat of celebrating a holiday that in all reality has nothing to do with christianity anymore, yet propogate it if it's in our own faith.

I definitely understand and can relate to the original post, i don't much care for celebrating christmas myself, whether it be a real christian event or not... but i do debate turning gurpurabs into the exact same commerical mess that christmas has been reduced to.

I'd much rather not see our Gurus message one day get distorted and diluted like Jesus has

Guest wallace singh
well i buy presents simply as a way of following tradition...............it does not effect my sikhi cos i dont buy to recieve..............i simply embrace the good ol british culture.............. :)

Christians aren't supposed to buy to receive, either, but the whole thing becomes a guilt-fest, and the religious nature of Christmas has become blown out completely by its commercialization.

Oh, and by the way, the "X" in Christmas, written as Xmas, is a bit offensive to some Christians. There is a historical basis for its use: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas.

While I can see the strained nature of two or more Sikhs compulsively buying stuff for each other, just because everyone else is doing it at the end of the year, I don't think that the secular exchange of gifts is wrong at all in a mixed context. In my case, everyone else around me is either active or lapsed Christian of one sort or another, and one Wiccan. Does it make sense to build an exclusionary brick wall around myself?

At any rate, for those who would suggest that we hold off for Sri Guru Gobind Sinh Ji's gurpurb, what's the difference, then? Are we commemorating the gurpurb, or are we making a "just as good as the rest of you, even if different" statement of some sort?

Sikhism in the diaspora is undergoing growing pains, for sure, not the least of them such issues as are involved in keeping Sikhi distinctly alive, and yet not making evidently disgusted, grimacing faces about the idea of the trappings of a secularized Christian holiday. Really, be open to the love of the season and remember that they, too, are God's children.

Again from another thread...

We had 4 shabibzaddayen di shaheedi, Mata Gujri jee passed away in this month and even Guru Tegh bahadur jee sahheed in between november/december. Two chotay shaibzaday and mata gujri ji spent cold night outside in burj. Countless singh attained shaheedi in the battle of Chamkaur. Vichora of Guru Gobind Singh ji and his tough journey thru machheey vara jungle and sleeping on hard floor.

If we go in details.. 10,000 sikh soldiers fought in the battle of moodke against British to protect Punjab Sarkar. Since we lost that battle, thousands of khalsa sarkar soldiers died in that battlefield.

So.. how can we celebrate anything in December??

oh paaji.. every month theres something tragic that happened in sikh history, so on that note, how can we celebrate anything ANY month !?

and to everyone else...

christmas is a fun time... ive celebrated it all my life growing up in such a society.... and presently i dun but if it brings a smile on a non-sikh, why not !? we as a family participated in the toy drive before to donate our old toys to children that are less fortunate .. yes they need more than just toys but they also need a smile on their face....i think ones who have been a part of this can understand it.. but just let it be, if someone does it and its not interfering with their gursikhi .. its just another fun time .. exchanging gifts, having a christmas tree at home, having some good times with family/friends !

just my two cents