The Root Of All Evil

Vaheguroo Ji Ka Khalsa

Vaheguroo Ji Ki Fateh

The average mans understanding is that SOLE REASON we suffer/go through the circle of life & death again & again is because of the paap we commit. So to stop the suffering/break the circle of life & death we just do good deeds (punn).

Sant Singh Maskeens Ji doesn't agree, he states that according do Gurmat this simplified understanding contradicts what Guru Ji says. Maskeen Ji goes on to say that as paap is commited due to falling prey to the panch choor, we do good deeds (pun) because of them too, ie out of hunkar i may do Seva for glory, or out of jealousy for other's wealth i may do seva so Guru Ji will bless me with wealth. Doing seva is very fruitful but by just doing good deeds you can't end the circle of life and death

Maskeen Ji then says that the root cause of this suffering/circle of life and death is Agyanta. ie the opposite of having Gyan...lacking Gyan.

Gyan can't be simply described as knowledge because i have the knowledge that i must not fall prey to the Panj Choor, i have the knowledge but i still do...according to this understanding, i don't have agyanta and have gyan so therefore i should be able to break from the circle of life and death?...right?..wrong!!!

Clearly, Gyan can't be limited to just 'knowledge'. So, can someone please help explain the concept of Gyan?