Punjabis Must Speak Punjabi

S1ngh

Punjabis, speak Punjabi: Nayar

Exhorting Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal to advise his ministers and MLAs to speak in Punjabi, veteran journalist Kuldip Nayar said, “Punjabis should feel proud while speaking Punjabi, but here they feel small. I see many Sikh families speaking Hindi.” Citing an example, he said, “We should take a lesson from Punjabis living in Pakistan. They prefer to speak in Punjabi instead of Urdu. Punjabi is not the language of Sikhs or Hindu, but of all Punjabis. Punjabiyat is alive only because of its language.” He clarified that he was not against other languages, but mother tongue should not be forgotten.

As a teacher what surprises me is that 3rd generation Punjabis of Sikh backgrounds generally have really poor Punjabi standards than their Pakistani counterparts, who, from my experience can generally speak it fluently.

Shame on ju!

As a teacher what surprises me is that 3rd generation Punjabis of Sikh backgrounds generally have really poor Punjabi standards than their Pakistani counterparts, who, from my experience can generally speak it fluently.

Shame on ju!

wow! It must be a England thing because here in Canada, Pakistanis in general don't speak Punjabi well compare to Canadian Sikhs.

^^ depends on where they(their families) lived in Pakistan ...if they from Punjab they will speak punjabi..if they are from a difrnt city u will hear thm speakin in Urdu=)

but one of my friends told me that in punjab(in Pak) the govnt tries very hard to have kids/people speak urdu thn punjabi.

def when a lahori speaks punjabi u can tell they from lahor hahaha

when u speak to them ...they speak the RUDE punjabi with tu/ma not asssi/tussi etc(had to break that in my friend...) when i talked to her it did seem like we were fightin

Punjabi is a beautiful language...if we speak properly and with love (give respect) others will realize its value as well

Shame on ju!

wow! It must be a England thing because here in Canada, Pakistanis in general don't speak Punjabi well compare to Canadian Sikhs.

My cuz said as much. He said most of the third generation in Canada speak Panjabi fluently. Does everyone take Panjabi lessons there or something?

^^ depends on where they(their families) lived in Pakistan ...if they from Punjab they will speak punjabi..if they are from a difrnt city u will hear thm speakin in Urdu=)

but one of my friends told me that in punjab(in Pak) the govnt tries very hard to have kids/people speak urdu thn punjabi.

def when a lahori speaks punjabi u can tell they from lahor hahaha

when u speak to them ...they speak the RUDE punjabi with tu/ma not asssi/tussi etc(had to break that in my friend...) when i talked to her it did seem like we were fightin

Punjabi is a beautiful language...if we speak properly and with love (give respect) others will realize its value as well

Just from everyday casual contact the vocabulary of Paks seems much more developed than Sikhs of the same age.