Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Har Rai Sahib Ji Maharaj

amardeep_singh

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh

As commemoration of Guru Har Rai Sahib Jee's Gurpurab, we are asking sangat to saubmit articles or sakhi's of our Great Guru Sahib into this thread. One article will be selected and put on the OntarioSikhs.com website under 'Article of the Week'.

This would also be a great way to depict some of the Glories of our Great Guru Sahib and educate some others who do not know much of our Gurus.

Please do not hesitate to include more then one sakhi/article at a time if you want.

We wish you all a Happy Gurpurab.

Dhan Dhan Sree Guru Har Rai Sahib Jee!!

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh

This post is dedicated first and foremostly to Siri Guru Har Rai Ji, and secondly to those people who complain about 47 pages worth of stories about Siri Guru Har Rai Ji's Sahibzade, demanding such threads on their Father instead. Thirdly, I'm copying this straight from APDF's Sikh Sakhian subforum so I didn't take the time out to write it.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

The Emperor Shah Jahan had four sons: Dara Shikoh, Shuja Muhammad, Aurangzeb, and Murad Baksh. Dara Shikoh was the heir-apparent, and was very dear to his father.

Aurangzeb was very cunning, clever and ambitious, and was fixated on succeeding to the throne. He administered tiger’s whiskers in a dish to his eldest brother and he became dangerously ill as a result. Astrologers were sent for, pirs and fakirs were called, all known charms, spells and incantations were tried but to no avail.

Wise men were assembled together and they came to the decision that until the tiger’s whiskers could be removed, there was no hope of a recovery. They were of the opinion that if two ounces of chebulic myrobalan (scientific name: termininalia chebula; known in Ayurvedic medicine as Aralu, credited with having laxative and stomachic properties) and a clove weighing one masha were administered, his health could be restored.

The Emperor searched everywhere for the ingredients but they could not be found – it was only until his Prime Minister, who had heard of Guru Har Rai Sahib Jis’ fame, was informed that there were available from Guru Sahib’s storehouse, that hope was restored.

Although the Emperor was hostile to Guru Ji, yet as Guru Sahib’s house was a mine of sympathy and compassion for all, there was no doubt that he would grant the articles required.

The Emperor humbled himself before the king of kings Satguru Sri Guru Har Rai Sahib Ji and sent a letter. Guru Sahib was pleased that the Emperor had such confidence in him as to write such a friendly letter, and consented to give the required medicines.

“Behold,” said Guru Ji , “with one hand man breaks flowers and with one hand offers them, but the flowers perfume both hands alike. The axe cuts the sandal tree, yet the sandal perfumes the axe. The Guru ought, therefore, to return good for evil.”

The ingredients were weighed and it was explained that these medicines would cause the hardest substance taken to be digested. To these ingredients, Guru Ji added a pearl which was to be ground and used as a subsidiary remedy.

The Emperor was naturally very pleased and forgot all his enemity with Guru Sahib, and vowed that he would never again cause him annoyance. His medicine was administered and effected a speedy and complete cure.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Once a householder Sikh came to see Satguru Sri Guru Har Rai ji, maharaj the king of kings and the saint of saints, and narrated his problem: "O True King, I had a son who grew into a promising young man. He is dead now. I had hoped that he would take over the responsibilities of the household, and that I will come and stay in your service to earn salvation at your door. But my hopes have been shattered. What should 1 do in this plight? This is troubling me constantly."

"Tell me how many members are there in your family, and what do you do to make a living?" asked Guru Ji.

"O True King, there are two younger sons and a daughter, besides their

mother. I am the fIfth. With regard to livelihood, whatever I earn, is used to feed us all," replied the Sikh.

"If you are really keen to serve the Guru, start right away. Leave their care to God. He will look after them. You can make your life fruitful," said Maharaj.

"O True King, my thinking is immature. I believe that without me they will perish. You are the Guru. Everything is at your command. Please, show me something to put faith into me."

"Do an errand for me. We shall talk about faith, when you return. Deliver a message to my Sikh who lives in a village 50 miles from here."

"Please, give me the letter, Maharaj, I will go and deliver this message as quick as I can" requested the Sikh. Guru Ji wrote a message, instructing that the messenger should be imprisoned for six months, after which he should be released, and that he should be looked after well. The Sikh carried the letter and delivered it. He was detained as per Maharaj's instruction. The Sikh pleaded, "0 brother, I have four persons to support. They can eat only if I earn. Without me they will starve. Please, let me go."

The Sikh replied, "Listen brother, it is you who have brought this letter. The Guru at whose command everything happens, has instructed that the man who brings this message, should be imprisoned. You want to be released. Now you advise whether we should obey you or the Guru who is omnipotent. Consider what is proper for you and what is proper for me, and then speak."

"Who am I? You should obey the all-powerful Guru."

"You have understood the situation correctly. Now be patient. Wait for six months, concentrate on the Guru in mind, after which I shall let you go. It is in your interest to obey the Guru. Carrying out the Guru's instructions is in my interest also." The Sikh acquiesced.

At the other end, Maharaj arranged for the sustenance of the Sikh's family in this way. They went without one meal. Their neighbours asked them why they had not cooked their meal. The Sikh's wife replied, "Who earned has abandoned us. God knows what was his consideration. Now our sustenance is in the hands of God. If He gives, we shall cook and eat. Otherwise, we shall bear it quietly."

The neighbours thought it was not proper that the family should stay hungry in their midst, and that some arrangements must be made for them. To start with, each one of them brought one tray of flour for the family. There were fifty houses in the neighbourhood. Thus, fifty trays of flour were collected. Then the inhabitants of the locality gave them employment. The two sons started working as attendants, and earning. A lady took pity and gave the little girl and her mother lessons in embroidery. Thus, their sustenance was no longer a problem.

On the expiry of six months, the Sikh was released from detention. He immediately went to his family. He had been greatly worried. He was afraid that they would be no more. But when he found them hale and hearty, he was very happy. In fact, he saw that they were better off as compared to earlier times.

When his wife told him the truth about the family, it made him all the more happy. He realised that the Guru had arranged all this to put faith into him. He went to see the Guru again, and out of gratefulness, said happily, "O True King, you have taken me out of hell, and brought the reality before my eyes. Otherwise, my entire life would have been wasted worrying about food for the family. Now I have seen that in fact I was a hindrance in their sustenance. When I was away, there was abundance of everything. Now I shall devote my life in the service of the Guru. Because of your mercy I have found bliss."

"Listen, O Sikh, there were ten doors to the sustenance of your family. When were they without sustenance? God provides it even where there is no door. There is life within rocks. Their sustenance reaches there. There are beings deep inside the earth. God feeds them there. Similarly, there are beings in the sky. Their sustenance is arranged there. Listen to this story of how He looks after His creation. There is a mountain of ferrous rocks in the sea where no fanning is possible. People live there also and need food. They are surrounded by a huge ocean, which man-made boats cannot cross. For them, every year God creates ships and inspires such traders, shows routes to them, so that the ships can reach those mountains, barter iron ore day and night in exchange for food they bring from outside. The exchange does not stop. The people feel that they are drawing their sustenance from the iron ore. So, they love their occupation of mining.

Because they are ignorant of the Almighty. They give all credit to their occupation. As God has to provide sustenance to living beings, He creates the illusion that it is their effort which sustains them. Those who know that it is really God who provides sustenance, are attached to Him.”

How amazing is our beloved Satguru Sri Guru Har Rai Ji Maharaj, the king of kings, the saint of saints and the helper of the world.

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

Taken from Manvir Singh's bloggie, originally posted this day last year.

Today it is the Seventh Guru, Dhan Dhan Guru Har Rai Sahib jee's prakaash diwas (birth day). Lakh Lakh Vadhaayee (many happy returns) to everyone on this Gurpurb. May Guru Sahib bless us all.

A GLIMPSE AT THE LIFE OF GURU HAR RAI SAHIB JEE

kurta%20breaking%20some%20flowers.jpg

Story of Kurta stuck on thorn flower

As a young child Guru Sahib was running in the flower garden at Kiratpur Sahib. He was wearing a baggy cloak (Chola). While running the cloak he brushed passed some flowers, thus the flowers were damaged. With love and compassion, Guru Hargobind Sahib jee, the seventh Guru's grandfather, explained: "Always walk and move with care. Look after and manage your cloak and ensure that it doesn't hurt or damage anything in its path." Guru Hargobind Sahib jee taught his grandson that "one should watch how one walks" and work on oneself. Guru Sahib promised his grandfather, that he would in the future be careful in his responsibilities towards man, animals and plants. Boundless compassion and charity were reflected in all his actions and dealings with others throught Guru Sahib's life.

kiratpur%20garden.jpg

Protection of Animals & Environment

Guru Sahib founded free hospitals, herbal medical clinics, animal sanctuaries and beautiful gardens. Guru Har Rai Sahib jee developed Kiratpur sahib as a town of parks and gardens. Located on the banks of tributary of the Sutlej, he planted flowers and fruit bearing trees all over the area. This created a salubrious environment, attracting beautiful birds to the town and turning it into an idyllic place to live in. The Guru would go hunting; capturing animals he would care for them and give them treatment. When the animals were healthy and fit they would be released into the animal sanctuary or wild.

Excommunication Directive

Baba Raam Rai jee, Guru Sahib's son, was sent by Guru jee to meet with Aurangzeb. In order to please the Emperor and gain his sympathy Baba Raam Rai distorted Gurbani. As a result of this Aurangzeb rewarded him with land at Dehra Doon. When Guru Sahib found out he immediately excommunicated Baba Ram Rai jee. Guru showed that no one has a right to orally or physically alter the Word of God. Once some Sikhs asked Guru Arjan Sahib jee that Gurbaani is difficult to understand and that instead can he produce a translation. Kavi Santokh Singh jee writes that Guru Sahib replied, “Even if I wanted to, I couldn’t. No one has power to limit Gurbaani.” The lesson learnt is that our relationships need to be kept checked.

Devotion to Gurbaani

One day the Sikhs asked Guru Sahib whether those who read Gurbaani without understanding it obtain any spiritual advantage from it. Guru Sahib gave no reply at the time, and next morning went hunting. En route, the Guru came across a broken pot which had held butter. The rays of the sun were melting the butter on the broken pot fragments. Guru Sahib took one of these fragments in his hand and said, "Look my Sikhs, broken pot parts - when they are heated, the butter that adhered to them readily melts. As the grease sticks to the pot, so does the Guru’s Word stick to the heart. Whether understood or not, it has within it the "seed of salvation." Perfume still clings to a broken vase." We learn that whoseoever daily reads the Gurbaani shall surely obtain peace. And even though one may not fully understand it, Vaheguru will undoubtedly assist the person to understand.

22,000 Horsemen

Although very sensitive and caring, Guru Sahib was ever ready to fight for sovereignty and justice. Arms remind us of sovereignty. Guru Sahib exemplified that one should live a caring and compassionate life and always be ready to defend oneself and others.

Summary

Bhai Nand Lal Singh jee summarises Guru Har Rai Sahib jee personality with the word "Compassion"! J. G. Cunningham describes in his book "History of Sikhs" that the Seventh Nanak lived "a life of humility" and is "the Image of Compassion".

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

A little saakhi I heard at gurudwara a few months ago. I've forgotten the exact details, but here it goes.

While traveling Guru Sahib reached a village. The villagers had a lot of pyaar and shardha for Guru Sahib. They wanted to hear katha of Japji Sahib from paavan rasna of Guru Sahib. Looking at their love, Guru Sahib did katha of Japji Sahib. When katha was smapat, villagers did an ardaas.

"Guru Sahib, we are very great full to you, you have done katha of Japji Sahib and explained this bani's meanings to us."

Guru Sahib remained quiet. Villagers did the same ardaas again and again, Guru Sahib remained quiet. Even after doing ardaas a 3rd time, Guru Sahib remained quiet. One Sikh got up and asked that if there was something wrong with the way they were doing ardaas.

Guru Sahib replied, "Listen Oh Sikh! The only one that can do katha of Japji Sahib is the one who wrote this bani."