Ishnaan

Surinderjit

should we take ishnaan -

before gurbani recitation?

Or sometime int he amirt vela?

For awhile now, i've woken up, washed my hands, face, and feet, and then did bani.

Once bani was done, i'd take ishnaan.

Should i take ishnaan, then do bani?

What is the correct order?

Also include gurbani tuks.

wjkk, wjkf

audmu kry Blky prBwqI iesnwnu kry AMimRq sir nwvY ]

Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe, and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar.

aupdyis gurU hir hir jpu jwpY siB iklivK pwp doK lih jwvY ]

Following the Instructions of the Guru, he is to chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. All sins, misdeeds and negativity shall be erased.

iPir cVY idvsu gurbwxI gwvY bhidAw auTidAw hir nwmu iDAwvY ]

Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani; whether sitting down or standing up, he is to meditate on the Lord's

Name.

As soon as you wake up, get up and have your full ishnaan, whilst doing naam simran. After ishnaan do your naam simran, for how ever long you wish. Then (at the rising of the sum) or whenever you've finished your naam simran, do your gurbani/nitnem.

vahiguroo

Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe, and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar.

Following the Instructions of the Guru, he is to chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. All sins, misdeeds and negativity shall be erased.

Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani; whether sitting down or standing up, he is to meditate on the Lord's

Name.

As soon as you wake up, get up and have your full ishnaan, whilst doing naam simran. After ishnaan do your naam simran, for how ever long you wish. Then (at the rising of the sum) or whenever you've finished your naam simran, do your gurbani/nitnem.

vahiguroo

Since naam - bani, and bani = naam, could i just do all my bani during amrit vela, and then maybe sing to kirtan/play kirtan as the sun rises?

Since naam - bani, and bani = naam, could i just do all my bani during amrit vela, and then maybe sing to kirtan/play kirtan as the sun rises?

hmm well after you've had your ishnaan, if you prefer to just do gurbaani, then kirtan after. then thats fine, aslong as you are getting up and baani/naam is being recited.

however, i know naam=baani, baani=naam. however, BOTH are important. personally i think its very important to spend time reciting naam at amritvela, ASWEL as doing gurbani.

but its up 2 u, just do ur baani/naam out of piaar, and with dhiaan.

pRwqhkwl lwgau jn crnI ins bwsur drsu pwvau ]

In the early hours of the morning, I fall at the feet of Your humble servants; night and day, I obtain the Blessed Vision of their Darshan.

qnu mnu Arip krau jn syvw rsnw hir gun gwvau ]1]

Dedicating my body and mind, I serve the humble servant of the Lord; with my tongue, I sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord. ||1||

vahiguroo vahigurooo :WW:

gur siqgur kw jo isKu AKwey su Blky auiT hir nwmu iDAwvY ]

gur sathigur kaa jo sikh akhaaeae s bhalakae out(h) har naam dhhiaavai ||

One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name.

oudham karae bhalakae parabhaathee eisanaan karae a(n)mrith sar naavai ||

oupadhaes guroo har har jap jaapai sabh kilavikh paap dhokh lehi jaavai ||

fir charrai dhivas gurabaanee gaavai behadhiaa out(h)adhiaa har naam dhhiaavai ||

Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani; whether sitting down or standing up, he is to meditate on the Lord's Name.

jo swis igrwis iDAwey myrw hir hir so gurisKu gurU min BwvY ]

jo saas giraas dhhiaaeae maeraa har har so gurasikh guroo man bhaavai ||

One who meditates on my Lord, Har, Har, with every breath and every morsel of food - that GurSikh becomes pleasing to the Guru's Mind.

ijs no dieAwlu hovY myrw suAwmI iqsu gurisK gurU aupdysu suxwvY ]

jis no dhaeiaal hovai maeraa suaamee this gurasikh guroo oupadhaes sunaavai ||

That person, unto whom my Lord and Master is kind and compassionate - upon that GurSikh, the Guru's Teachings are bestowed.

jnu nwnku DUiV mMgY iqsu gurisK kI jo Awip jpY Avrh nwmu jpwvY ]2]

jan naanak dhhoorr ma(n)gai this gurasikh kee jo aap japai avareh naam japaavai ||2||

Servant Nanak begs for the dust of the feet of that GurSikh, who himself chants the Naam, and inspires others to chant it. ||2||

Bani says One who calls themselves a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Naam, the Lord's Name. Upon arising early in the morning (after doing naam), one is to bathe, and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar. Following the Instructions of the Guru, one is to chant the Name of the Lord.

What do we do if we don't own a pool of nectar at home, but only a shower with normal water? (obvious sarcasm intended)

Isn't it possible that gurbani's implying that the "pool of nectar" is gurbaani itself? The other alternative is that normal, everyday water turns into amrit when panj baanian have been done, like at an amrit sanchaar... so that could suggest that you should do your panj baanian in completion while in the shower....

Ultimately..... Try all sorts of methods...if your punj piyaaray have no prescribed you a particular order in which to do things, do all sorts of things, if you're strong enough mentally to choose the one that's most spiritually beneficial. But then make sure you DO choose the one that's most beneficial... in the end, there's no argument here... start your day off as soon as possible with some simran... the first thoughts of your day are the ones that set the stage for the rest of your day... it's important to start with something spiritually uplifting.

oudham karae bhalakae parabhaathee eisanaan karae a(n)mrith sar naavai ||

I think there's two 'cleansing' activities going on here.. one is the cleansing of the body "eisnaan" and one is the cleansing of the mind "anmrith sar naavai" ... I could be wrong... that's just my interpretation of the tukh ...

Simran... Bani... Kirtan... Meditation... Remembrance of Guru Ji of any sort is extremely important when you wake up.. because it's the start of your day... your attitude at the start of your day will reflect your attitude throughout the day.

Take ishnaan before you do Nitnem... Best to do simran/bani while showering as well...

its practicality...

1. Shower will wake you up nicely

2. You'll 'cleanse' ur body of sweat, dirt, and all them other things...

3. You'll feel fresh..

and from what Japmans said:

Isn't it possible that gurbani's implying that the "pool of nectar" is gurbaani itself?

remember, we have to be "jeeoh nirmal" (inwardly pure) and "baarho nirmal" (outwardly pure)

to cleanse your outside you take a shower an all that stuff:

BrIAY hQu pYru qnu dyh ]

bhureeai huth pair thun dhaeh

When the hands and the feet and the body are dirty,

pwxI DoqY auqrsu Kyh ]

paanee dhothai outhurus khaeh

water can wash away the dirt.

mUq plIqI kpVu hoie ]

mooth puleethee kupurr hoe

When the clothes are soiled and stained by urine,

dy swbUxu leIAY Ehu Doie ]

dhae saaboon leeai ouhu dhoe

soap can wash them clean.

and then we cleanse the inside with bani and naam:

BrIAY miq pwpw kY sMig ]

bhureeai math paapaa kai sung

But when the intellect is stained and polluted by sin,

Ehu DopY nwvY kY rMig ]

ouhu dhopai naavai kai rung

it can only be cleansed by the Love of the Name.

The true ishnaan is ishnaan with NAAM. ITs washing and cleaning your mind with the Naam.

however i think you should have physical ishnaan before you do your simran because water improve blood circulation through entire body and wakes you up. This will allow you to focus better on naam simran.