All Those Who Don't Want Gandhis Statue To Go Up In Leicster

SaRpAnCh

Sikhs Thank Mayor For Continued Support In Sikh Campaigns & Events

The Sikh Federation (UK) recently held a meeting with the Mayor of London at City Hall on the eve of the London Mayoral elections. The Mayor was presented with a silver shield by Bhai Amrik Singh and Bhai Narinderjit Singh, Chair and General Secretary of the Sikh Federation (UK) for the work he has done to support the Sikh community.

Picture_002.jpg

The Sikh Federation (UK) recently held a meeting with the Mayor of London at City Hall on the eve of the London Mayoral elections. The Mayor was presented with a silver shield by Bhai Amrik Singh and Bhai Narinderjit Singh, Chair and General Secretary of the Sikh Federation (UK) for the work he has done to support the Sikh community.

The Mayor of London Ken Livingstone, said the meeting was an opportunity to discuss a range of issues that are of concern to the Sikh community, such as the right to practise one's religion and Sikh identity. Opportunities offered by the Olympic Games for the Sikh community, including employment, training and skills, as well as the sporting and cultural benefits were also discussed.

In a press release following the meeting the Mayor said: 'It is important that the Sikh and other communities are properly represented at every level of government and it is essential that members of the Sikh community exercise their right to vote. Sikh organisations have a key role to play in promoting registration, whilst monitoring can help us assess progress made in terms of employment and representation. This is why the Greater London Authority gives the opportunity for employees to describe their ethnic as well as religious group as being Sikh on recruitment and monitoring forms. I am committed to ensuring that the Sikh community – as with others – is able to participate fully and benefit from London's continuing success.'

The Mayor of London has backed the separate recognition and monitoring of Sikhs, the Sikh Identity Conference in 2006 and the first World Sikh Summit in September 2007. The Mayor has also backed campaigns to defend the freedom of religious and cultural expression, and most recently in the case of a 14-year-old Welsh school girl who has been excluded from school for wearing a Kara.

The Mayor pledged to continue to support Sikh campaigns and events. For instance, the campaign for separate recognition and mentoring of Sikhs for the Census 2011, appropriate logistical support for Sikhs to better work with policy makers in London, a permanent monument to honour Sikhs killed in 'conflict' and the forthcoming Sikh Freedom Lobby at the European Parliament in Brussels on 7 May 2008. Two events planned and to be hosted by the Mayor for later in the year were also discussed and agreed in principle.

The Sikh Federation (UK) also provided the Mayor with useful information for him to consider why it is not appropriate to support a statue of Mahatma Gandhi in Parliament Square. Prior to the meeting the Mayor's Office were made aware of factual information on www.gandhism.net. It is almost certain the idea of a statue of Gandhi, which has also been strongly opposed by Westminster City Council is now permanently off the agenda.

Gurjeet Singh

National Press Secretary

Sikh Federation (UK)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

peacemaker is getting angry at the mere reference of Gandhi and his bakri.....now I wonder what his reaction would be if someone mentioned what he actually used to do with that very bakri!

Enlighten me, oh wise one! What did he do with the goat?

i think he stole its honor if u catch my drift ji

i heard rumors of this stuf im not sure if it is true or not but ive heard it alot of places

i personally dont liek gandhi cause of his rasism tho :)

i wouldnt put the goat thing past him because in the middle east india n parts of pakistan this practice is considered healthy and common when a man is away from his wife

i hope you guys arn't opposed to mahatama gandhi cause he was a hindu or you think he was part of hindutva or something cause mahatma gandhi was hated by hindutva groups and killed by hindutva supporters, rss is hardcore anti mahatma gandhi so question why you guys opposed to mahatma gandhi

Guest peacemaker
i think he stole its honor if u catch my drift ji

Actually, I could imagine Gandhi doing something like that. I just had an image pop in my head, unfortunately. :) _oh_OLD: