Real picture of Guru Nanak - does it exist?

Sunny

WJKK WJKF!

Hmmmm ... interesting.. i heard of guru gobind singh jis picture been drawn by a ... hmm i think was it a muslim painter who sneaked in sangat and got guru jis picture drawn. It was passed down many generations and it looks pretty much similar to the replicas we see as of today...

... but never seen or heard of guru nanak jis picture. A saying goes, "take a picture it would last longer", i dont agree ... but save a image in yourself of guru ji, that would last you eternity! :e:

bhul chuk maph! blush.gif

Guest mehtab

i was trying to look for Guru Gobind Singh's real painting (will post it tomorrow) but instead i stumbled on this page

http://amrita-it.com/india/religions.htm

The third Indian religion that is originated from Hinduism is the Sikh community (it is probably better to call them community instead of religion).

It was found by Guru Nanak in the 15th century with the aim to bring Hindus and the Muslim occupants closer to each other. They did not succeed in fulfilling this dream and after falling victims of cruel raids by the Moghuls, their 17th-century head, Guru Gobind Singh converted them into a martial community, prescribing – among other changes – to wear 5 signs to make Sikhs easily distinguishable by the enemies, forcing them this quite strange way to be always ready, always fit to fight and win. All of them got common “family name”, Singh, meaning lionhearted and the five signs are: unshorn hair (under turban), comb, steel bracelet, sword and shorts.

If you want to be kind to a Sikh, call him Sardarji.

Guru Gobind Singh’s idea was bright: Sikhs became and are tall, sportive, good fighters (most of the officers of the British-Indian army were Sikhs), excellent technicians.

The rest of religions were brought to India.

this loser's email is amrit@it.com

this is my email to him/her

hello

i just happened to stumble on your website and saw the following page

http://amrita-it.com/india/religions.htm

i found some errors in your paragraph.

"it is probably better to call them community instead of religion"...Sikhs are a totally different religious community from both Hindus and Muslims.

"They did not succeed in fulfilling this dream and after falling victims of cruel raids by the Moghuls, their 17th-century head, Guru Gobind Singh converted them into a martial community"...Guru Gobind Singh created the Khalsa without any barriers of caste. Anyone from any background can join the Khalsa. Therefore your argument that they "failed" is incorrect.

"forcing them this quite strange way to be always ready, always fit to fight and win"...again incorrect. Guru Gobind Singh did not force anything on anyone ever, as you know already that it was the mughals who were forcing Hindus to adopt Islam.

"If you want to be kind to a Sikh, call him Sardarji"...excuse me ?!?!?!?!...a Sikh is always called Sardarji. They do not beg for respect and kindness as it comes from those non-Sikhs who know Sikh history and have a good knowledge of Sikhism.

i encourage you to do some more research on Sikhism (a good source is http://www.allaboutsikhs.com to begin with) and would appreciate if you change the information on your website. Not that it is going to affect Sikhs in anyway, but i felt it as my duty to correct you. My suggestion is only for the improvement and credibility of your own website.

r>

thanks

i will post Guru Gobind Singh's actual painting tomorrow if i find it...its Gurujee's will if i find it, so lets see :)

meanwhile, lets all email this fellow :|

Guest mehtab

here is the response

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions!

I shall certainly correct my mistakes, which originate from my sources,

since I am not expert in religions. I hope my corrections will be

acceptable

for you.

My sentence regarding Sardarji must be a misunderstanding: I wanted to

express that Sikhs are glad if a non-Sikh knows how they should be

addressed, nothing more. If what I say is incorrect, I shall try to

express

myself better (my English is not my mother tongue).

I shall use the site you suggest to make myself more correct and more

clear.

Your comments regarding any other Indian religion are welcome.

Call me Tony in our further correspondence.

Best regards

Tony Halmos

P.S.: Do not forget,I am a friend of India and fond of Sikhs!