NJ Police: Sikh Teens Fabricated Assault/Robbery

nanosecond

Waheguru Je Kha Khalsa, Waheguru Je Ke Fateh:

As many of you may have heard by now, two NJ Sikh teenagers reported that they were assaulted, robbed, and had their hair cut off by an unknown number of assailants earlier this week. Well as it turns out, these two "Sikhs" made up the story to cover up the fact that they cut off their own hair willingly and attempted to cover up their actions by fabricating the whole story.

There are no words that I can say to express my deep shock and anger after hearing about this latest twist. I mean when I first heard about it, I felt so sorry for these guys. Now, we find out they were lying and really didn't want to be Sikhs no more....unbelievable. :)

For more info regarding this story see the following article:

The Associated Press

Sikh turban theft story was fabricated, police say

March 11, 2004

LODI, N.J. -- Two Sikh teenagers who told police they were attacked by five men who yanked off their turbans and cut off their hair apparently fabricated the story, police said.

Lodi Police Chief Vincent J. Caruso said Wednesday that the pair — 18-year-old Simrandeep Singh and a 17-year-old — made a false bias claim to police on March 3 to conceal the fact that they had cut their own hair, in violation of their religion.

Caruso said the two could face charges. As of Wednesday night, none had been filed.

He said Lodi police continued to investigate after finding holes in the teens' original report, and that the teens eventual

ly cooperated.

Singh and the 17-year-old told police they were at a bus stop when a group of men approached them and asked to borrow money. The groups got into a pushing match, and the groups wound up in Memorial Park, Capt. Vincent Quatrone has said.

There, the teens told police they were kicked and punched and robbed of about $40.

One man was then reported to have removed the teens' turbans, pulled out a pair of scissors and cut 3 to 4 feet of hair from the victims as they pleaded with him to stop.

Sikhs are forbidden by their religion to cut their hair, believing it is a gift from God.

http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local/nyc-nj...nhome-headlines

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mana jee, well saiud, but we need to remember, they've insulted our SIKHI! :) @

By one - utting hair - Oke its Good that they did it, in order to not giving a bad name to Sikhi

2 - Well, they lied to the police, wo on thier point is polly LAUGHIN AT THE SIKHS NOW :@ @

Guest SikhForLife

recent developments..

the kid apologized to the sangat today.. hes keeping his hair again and everyone is supporting him.. he will be given/asked to do some kind of a community service or something...

i met him today.. hes really sad..

the other kid on the other hand hasnt shown his face yet.

The Star Ledger newspaper was at GW and the article is coming out on tuesday

Awesome !.. Do support him as much as you can.. Sangat is very important and this is the time he needs a good sangat.. aka you.. He already had too much pressure on him.. So why don't you take him along with your buddies to some kind of trip so that his mind stay in positive light? and little away from this whole incident. I thought this probably would help HIM a lot.. I know it will help me if i was in his shoes :@

Support him and other kid as much as you can..