My God, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me?

On 1/2/2023 at 5:59 AM, BhForce said:

First, I think you're assuming that Jesus did actually say that.

Maybe he did, in which case I don't know what it's supposed to mean.

see below, he was repeating scripture from Psalms:

On 11/3/2022 at 12:55 PM, GurjantGnostic said:

He was fulfilling the prophecy in Psalms 22. 

On 1/2/2023 at 5:59 AM, BhForce said:

The Gospel ascribed to Matthew is not necessarily written by the supposed Apostle Matthew. This is a later church tradition.

There are no full copies of the Bible books until hundreds of years later.

Given all of this, one wonders if Jesus said that.

Which suggests the possibility of going down rabbit holes which start off by what "someone said".

I heard this is true for all the gospels, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Those names for the gospels still don't identify the actual authors!

On 4/11/2008 at 12:41 PM, Into the Light said:

i believe you can take the message/teachings from other faiths and apply them to betters one own Sikhi...but i have a question which i know no one here is a Christian but maybe someone can help

When on the cross, Jesus Christ said 'My God, Why hast thou forsaken me'...does anyone have a deeper appreciation to what Jesus meant when he said this?

The reason i ask is, somethings unless understood in the context in which they were said, can be misunderstood (this includes Gurbani too).

if you believe that then you are saying Guru Sahiban left us with an incomplete doctrine and message , which is totally out of order to imply/say , get your head straight please , you are falling for the arguments non-sikhs have used to tried and convert us in the past .
As far as christian tradition states only one of the apostles were present for the matrydom that was John who brought the womenfolk of Jesus' household there . So any other gospels speaking of it should be taken with salt as it is hearsay.

On 1/3/2023 at 10:14 AM, ipledgeblue said:

see below, he was repeating scripture from Psalms:

Bro, that's the entire point. Jesus didn't write anything.

Other people (anonymous) wrote stuff. They wrote that Jesus quoted from Psalms.

Whether he did or didn't we have no idea.

And we don't have to.

We just see Gurbani as complete. Anything else, if it is in accord with Gurbani, can be quoted as Maskeen ji used to. 

But we don't have to go around making truth claims for other scriptures.

On 1/4/2023 at 2:32 PM, jkvlondon said:

if you believe that then you are saying Guru Sahiban left us with an incomplete doctrine and message , which is totally out of order to imply/say , get your head straight please , you are falling for the arguments non-sikhs have used to tried and convert us in the past .
As far as christian tradition states only one of the apostles were present for the matrydom that was John who brought the womenfolk of Jesus' household there . So any other gospels speaking of it should be taken with salt as it is hearsay.

Even the author for John gospel is unknown and disputed. there are some truths in other scriptures but we take Guru Granth Sahib as whole truths. Nirmala sampradaiye study various scriptures from different traditions and religions. Guru Gobind Singh uses pre-hindu (I stress on pre-hindu as everyone just calls it hindu) myth-itihaas/mythology in Dasam Bani to explain lessons and warrior mentalities. 

It is ok to use a familiar figure or story to strengthen something already within sikhi.

On 1/6/2023 at 4:46 AM, BhForce said:

Bro, that's the entire point. Jesus didn't write anything.

Other people (anonymous) wrote stuff. They wrote that Jesus quoted from Psalms.

Whether he did or didn't we have no idea.

And we don't have to.

We just see Gurbani as complete. Anything else, if it is in accord with Gurbani, can be quoted as Maskeen ji used to. 

But we don't have to go around making truth claims for other scriptures.

true we shouldn't.

and we definitely don't want Zakir Naik level nonsense claiming Guru nanak is mentioned in Quran