Should Controversial Topics be allowed?

Sewadar

39 members have voted

1. 1. Should Controversial Topics be allowed?

• Yes
    • No

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

I think visitors to sikhsangat should come here to learn about sikhi from good examples. We should be carefull with what we post because the discussions are open to the public to view. A lot of times people who come to this site looking to learn something or for some inspiration might get discouraged by reading some of the negative posts. I understand its important to debate certain issues and people have doubts that they're looking for answers for, but when discussions turn into nasty arguments nobody benefits, we only add to our ego's.

I like how SA requires users to log in before they can read topics, this way access is restriced to members only. It doesn't do anything to discourage arguing/personal attacks but atleast the posts aren't out there for everyone with internet access to read.

just my opinions

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Controversial is in the eye of the reader.... the France issue is controversial.... Khalistan is controversial.... regardless...

i voted no and this is why:

raagmaala, keski and meat should not be allowed... 100% leave it out, cuz guess what, akal takht says that it's ok either way for all those three issues.. that's that.. akal takht IS our headquarters, that's their decision, it shouldn't mean a bloody thing if i read raagmalla and user # 45324 doesn't... cuz akal takht said it's all good.

same goes with jathay... akal takht recognizes the panthic ones.. and the non-panthic ones, we really shouldn't be wasting our time arguing about anyways...panthic groups like taksal, nanaksar, , dodra, akj, or non panthic ones like naamdhari, nirankari, rss, whatever, whether they're panthic or not, it's been settled, and that's that. After all, the ultimate truth will be realized once we die, not right now...there's enough insults to go around the world 19 times...we don't hafta contribute to it..

now... we do have that topic about sants and babas... i think that may be BORDERLINE controversial, but then again, the members here are smart enough to realize to keep it safe.... we don't have very many dumb members on this board, and so that's cool.

I don't think controversial issues should be allowed if Akal Takht has already made their stance clear. Saying your belief is better than anothers is just as much nindya as anything else, ESPECIALLY if you don't practise your own belief... (and whoa.. i'm a HUGE example of that one).

And in my honest and true opinion, nothing is more controversial than

the mal-translation of gurbaani... you want controversial??? talk about how many different translations we have of one line.. talk about how many people misuse the true meaning of tuks to justify a point.. THAT is controversial.. THAT is DIRECTLY related to Guru's BAANI!

talk about THAT.. leave all that stupid, waste of time "controversy" outta it.. cuz whether you wear a keski, read raagmaala, eat meat, call yourself "akj", or NOT.. it don't matter, cuz akal takht is cool with you either way... my impression of you, or another member's impression of you means nothing if you've got the support of Akal Takht, Guruji's institution......

thus, these pointless controversial topics should NOT be allowed... topics about the misuse of gurbaani are much more fruitful (though barely).

but honestly.. i truly enjoy being happy and hearing about our fellow bro's and sis's accopmlishments rather than this pointless stuff... i think we'd all much rather talk about happy good things than stupid controversial stuff...

i guess i'm kinda drifting, but i think i made my opinon clear on the whole controversial issue thing..

I fully agree with BOTH my veerjees above.

Perhaps Amardeep Singh's idea is good that Sikh Sangat should require you to register before you can view a post....

or maybe there should be SOME members only sections for serious discussions

One thing I do know is that I'm glad Sikhsangat has reached this stage in its evolution that it is ready for self-reflection.

That's good thing. ^_^

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

anything thats gonna end up making us fight, shouldnt be allowed. If we discuss kakaars or raag maala, theres a defintie fight. And were fighting between ourselves. Thats exactly what india wants. Imagine how powerful sikhs could be if we united.

bhula chuka maf

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

sikhs should be able to discuss ANY topic and not fight about it. if u have the right state of chardikala mind u wont see a debate as a fight anyway because u dont take offense to what's said. I do not believe in shutting anything out unless its just total bakwaas that has no meaning to anyone. debates are helpful and good

sikhs should be able to discuss ANY topic and not fight about it. if u have the right state of chardikala mind u wont see a debate as a fight anyway because u dont take offense to what's said. I do not believe in shutting anything out unless its just total bakwaas that has no meaning to anyone. debates are helpful and good

interesting point bhainjee... i cant speak for anyone but myself, and i'll say i'm sure as hell not chardikalaaa... does that mean only chardikalaa people should be able to visit this site?

90% of the people that come onto the site are probably looking for company.. not because they're already chardikalaa... but in the hope they'll find someone else on this forum who might be, and will help them become chardikalaa.. just looking for help...to boost them a bit

also... can only chardikalaa people post?

it is said that when the entire panth is chardikalaa, khalistan will be achieved.. that being said, until khalistan is achieved, we shouldn't be talking about any issue... according to that theory...

Bhanji if you are chardikalaa.... AMAZING!!! truly amazing!!!! but i know i'm not at the stage, where i can say, i am TRULY chardikalaa... we hafta build that tolerance and that trust amongst all of us... i think one major problem is that alotta people come onto this site, see a c

ontroversial issue, and bam, they post without even knowing the singhs and singhnees even REMOTELY on this site... that just creates resentment... we should stop all the bickering, cuz reality is, too many of us on this site are not mature (i couldn't find a better word, i don't mean it to be offensive) enough to handle an argument in that way... we should build the trust and truly achieve that chardikalaa state..

Plus, what's better for new members? brothers and sisters talking lovingly with one another? or brothers and sisters arguing over points that are already settled??

in my opinion...there shouldn't be limits on what is discussed as long as everyone sticks to the issues without resorting to name calling and personal attacks.....

BUT we all know that's never going to happen...hehe...so the only alternative is to sensor topics.....