Battle To Be Wed

Another stupid thing is when the brothers get up and stand by Guru Sahib Ji to 'hand' their sister... so stupid!

I'm going one by one tongue.gif

haha yeah.. that's so against the equality in sikhi.. but i wanna know whether .. DO these stuff happens in any khalsa style wedding???

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru jiki fateh

i wish to have a gursikh weddin...

1 yr back i heard about all khalsa weddin.

but ,

i thought the way u get married in punjab with all the trad.z thats the way sikhs get married! its confusing. i hve seen most of the singhs get married the punjabi way...and as i have always thought that was the way for us!

what is sikhs culture??? this is soo confusing. like punjabi culture and sikh culture? can't u be both? u are born in punjab, so u dress in punjabi suits/kurta pajjamma....did our guru sahib say that u have to leave ur culture??? i mean if u are a jatt, u thannk waheguru for all taht u got..and dance in joy(on weddings, visakhi, when babys born.) etc etc

hindus dont dance , they dont do bhangra....some do kathakkk(some hindu dance i dont knwo whic region it belongs to) there are so many ways to dance..

and bhangra is way of punjab...they way u express ur joy.

drinkin is wrong of course....its prohibited...but where is dancing prohibited?? im not sayin stage dancing, the ones that u pay for, but the orig. punjabi culture. where u sing or dance, express ur feelings. when people do those...oh i have felt love, peace, the togetherness of family.

its not way of muslims...cuz Islam doesn't permit it(dancing, singin watchin movies..etc) at all ...and there was muggal raj in punjab!

oh can someone tell me when this all started?? like thi

s bhangra, ghiidaa, the weddin songs...alll this so called punjabi culture? blush.gif

ahhh very well put veerjee.. I do agree with ya on this.. even though it doesn't go along with sikhi.. Well as i know the bhangra dance and it's dress and giddah and all this cultural stuff dates long back say thousand years... Nothing has to do with sikhi, but it's punjabi culture (punjabi = sikh, hindu, muslim and so on).. And as we know that we have long history with persian and all that stuff.. STill today we can see the similarity between punjabi dances/clothing with persian ppls (also afghans, iran and soo on)..

Another stupid thing is when the brothers get up and stand by Guru Sahib Ji to 'hand' their sister... so stupid!

I'm going one by one tongue.gif

haha yeah.. that's so against the equality in sikhi.. but i wanna know whether .. DO these stuff happens in any khalsa style wedding???

this shouldn't even be a question.

How can these pakhands be part of wedding of any Guru ka Pyara? If someone gets married according to the Rehit Maryada than use things will never be tolerated. And if these things do happen, then the wedding isn't Khalis to start with :@

Guest SikhForLife

i kno im a victim too.. they told me to *hand* my cousin sister and help her take lavan as i *pushed* her around the lavaan..

i felt so wrong doing that .. but i couldnt fight as it was my cousin's family who told me to do this..

One thing I find really STUPID is how the bride and her bridesmaids come in a limousine to the gurdwara…that’s just pathetic. Whatever happened to humility and simplicity?

I dunno the whole correct procedure for a marriage, I guess everyone has their own preferences…some might do an akhand path, some might have a kirtan everyday for a week, some might have a ransbhai etc etc before the wedding.

I heard a story once about how back in the days when someone needed to get married they just went to the gurdwara and the head person would ask the sangat if there was a suitable match and if there were, sometimes they’d get married right then and there. Nowadays, the simplicities of anand kaaraj have been interlaced with the complexities of western and hindu cultures.

My dad's cousin got married to a gori. She had her bridesmaids and they all came in a limo. When they got out, i was SO disgusted

they were dressed in short pajama suits with SPAGHETTI straps (super thin straps) and a low neck. And one of them was punjabi, you'd think atleast she would have some sense.

and of course, the bride and groom had to go through the stupid tradition of not seeing each other before the wedding because it's supposedly "bad luck."

my sister told me that she wanted to have a sort of "westernized" punjabi wedding. before the reception, they had a christian wedding in the reception hall. i dont understand why they couldn't have just left the "westernized" stuff at the gora wedding and had a little respect for the gurdwara.

Guest balwinderkaur
i kno im a victim too.. they told me to *hand* my cousin sister and help her take lavan as i *pushed* her around the lavaan..

i felt so wrong doing that .. but i couldnt fight as it was my cousin's family who told me to do this..

right from the day i was a kid, ive thought that these two things are total bulls and cows. :@ its sooooooooooooo dumb..........like the girl is some cattle or a goat to be "handed" over to a new master and as though she's sooooooooooooo fragile she needs to be "pushed" to do the laavan. makes me sick.