Battle To Be Wed

da reason why people last time push around da bride is because last time gals use to cover their face... u know da dupatta covering till their mouth.. so they cant reali see where they are going... so thats why they use to do that last time.. but there's no need of that nowadays... and seriously its DUMB.. during laavan it shud oni be btwn da bride and da groom.. both takin laavan and makin gurujee as their center of their new life.. why have a 3rd or 4th person pushin u around ... sheesh

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest balwinderkaur
this is why it was wrong to open anand karaj up to non amritdharis.. punjabis have made a mokery of our most sacred practices...

hmmmmmmmmm sounds okay in a way but then we might be accused of being too exclusive. tongue.gif

another thing i saw on a wedding video wuz the grrom came 2 gurdwara n a horse n the horse arrived in the car park. if u wanna show off, up 2 u. but i say get off frm the horse/limo/ or elephant (it'll prob happen 1 day) away frm the gurdwara, like a street away, then walk it. cuz u hav 2 b humilated 2 get 2 gurdwara rite?

Vaheguroo jee ka khalsa Vaheguroo jee kee fateh!

In response to jkaur,

I'd like to share two Gursikh weddings i went to with you. The first was done with simplicity kept in mind. There was a rainsabhaee and after it, at around 4-5 in the morning the laavan took place. The bride and groom were sitting in sanghat the whole time during the keertan. No one walked the bride in, turns out women are capable of doing that now rolleyes.gif and no one sat behind the bride and groom while they took their laavan. They were dressed in simple bana in Sikh colours.

Another wedding i went to was a bit different. The bride, groom, and their freinds decorated the hall that the marriage was to take place in, the night before the wedding. It looked spectacular in orange and yellow and royal blue and white. There was asa dee vaar the following morning and lots of sanghat attended. The wedding was right after asa dee vaar. Once again both bride and groom were in sanghat during the keertan. In this case they wore matching bana, right down to their siri sahibs. There was gatka right after the wedding and then a rainsabhee keertan as the "reception."

On a different note, the "yellow stuff" that is used was originally meant as a cleanser. People used to work in the farms and at home so it was used to clean dirt amongst other things. Walking the bride in to the hall and around Guru jee was used to show the inferiority of women. This same practice (a type of it) is used in western society ("gora wedd

ings") when the bride is carried over the threshold. My grandmother told me that when she got married her brother carried her in to the Gurudwara and held her, like one would cradle a child, and walked her around during the lavaan. ohmy.gif She said that she had one chunni on her head going to her midsection and another thrown on top of it so no one could see her face. In fact that is why she was carried around, because she couldn't see!

Hope that helped,

Vaheguroo jee ka khalsa Vaheguroo jee kee fateh!