• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

See this news article

http://www.punjabnewsline.com/content/view/10403/38/

Punjab police withdrawn sedition charges against Daljit Bittu Print E-mail

GURPREET SINGH MEHAK

Tuesday, 06 May 2008

FATEHGARH SAHIB: The Punjab police has withdrawn sedition charges against Daljit Bittu, Chairman of the presidium of Shiromani Akali Dal(Amritsar) , who is facing charges of sedition and other charges during the protest march carried out against Dera Sacha Sauda on May 31 last year.

This fact came to fore when the copy of the challan was handed over to Daljit Bittu Tuesday, who appeared in court of ACJM(Senior Division), Fatehgarh Sahib.

Now the case will come up in the court on August 5.

Earlier, the Punjab police had filed challan after deleting section 124 A(sedition), 153 A (enmity between different group on grounds of religion, race etc.) and 505 (creating or promoting enmity and hatred or ill-will between classes) of IPC and by adding section 506 (criminal intimidation) of IPC in the case.

It may be mentioned here that a case was registered against Bittu and others on the statement of the then Fatehgarh Sahib SHO under sections 124-A, 153-A, 341, 505 of the IPC. While registering case against Bittu last year, the Fatehgarh Sahib police had maintained that Bittu was identified from a video that he and some other unidentified persons raised objectionable slogans during the protest march.

In the FIR registered by police, it was mentioned that on May 31, 2007 at about 11 am in the area of Gurdwara Jyoti Swarup, Fatehgarh Sahib, there was a peace march organised by Sikh organizations in which it was decided to give a memorandum to the Governor of Punjab at Chandigarh against anti-Sikh activities of Dera Sacha Sauda. When a bus carrying a committee of 11 members was going to proceed towards Gurdwara Sahib, all of a sudden some supporters of Daljit Singh Bittu came there, stopped the bus and raised slogans, " Khalistan Zindabad, Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindranwala Zindabad, Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindranwala teri soch te pehra diange thok ke."

After registration of the case, Bittu was arrested by police and later he was released on bail and his case is still pending in a Fatehgarh Sahib based court. When the case was registered against Bittu, it was alleged that the case was registered at the instance of SAD president Sukhbir Badal. At that time Bittu was senior vice president of SAD (Amritsar) president Simranjit Singh Mann but when their relationship was strained, Mann party alleged that Bittu was hand in glove with certain leaders of SAD and Punjab police is all set to withdrawn case against Bittu.

It may be mentioned during the trail of case, when Fatehgarh Sahib police referred the matter to Additional Director General of Police, Prosecution, Crime, Punjab he opined that during the scrutiny of the case, he found that facts of this case, make it a case of section 341, 506 of IPC.

He had directed Fatehgarh Sahib SSP to file challan in the case by deleting section 124 A, 153 A and 505 IPC and by adding section 506 of IPC for which no prosecution sanction is required.

He also had given reference of the Supreme Court case of Balwant Singh and another Vs State of Punjab AIR 1995 SC 1785 in which appellants were accused of raising the slogans, "Khalistan Zindabad, Raj Karega Khalsa, and Hinduan Nun Punjab Chon Kadh Ke Chhadage, Hun Mauka Aya Hai Raj Kayam Karan Da." In this case, the apex court held that raising some slogans only a couple of times by the two lonesome appellants, which neither evoked any response nor any reaction from any one in the public can neither attract and provisions of Section 124- A or the Section 153 -A IPC.

The police officials exhibited lack of maturity and more of sensitivity in arresting the appellants for raising the slogans-the arrest- and not the casual raising of one or two slogans, could have created a law and order situation, keeping in view the tense situation prevailing on the date of the assassination of Indira Gandhi."

Another reference of case was also given of Supreme Court in Bilal Kaloo Vs. State of Andhra Pardesh 1997 Crl. Law Journal 4091, " main ingredient of section 153-A and 505 of IPC is promotion of feeling of enmity or ill will between different religious or racial or language or religional groups in communities. It is necessary that at least two such groups or communities should be involved. Merely inciting the feelings of one community or group without any references to other neither attract provision of 153-A nor 505 IPC."

After appearing in court, Bittu held meeting with senior leaders of his party. The meeting was also attended by Bhai Harpal Singh Cheema, SGPC member Surinder Kaur.

Guest Chris_Latta
No you don;t know me

Say what you want, I've said what I had to about you. Everyone doesn't use their real name here either, "Sarpanch".

How can you possibly know him??

I've been on this forum much longer than you and I can't exactly claim to know sarpanch

I think you should take back your comments personal insults directed against a complete stranger only portray YOU in a bad light

OR option 2 is you do know him and you're not from texas or a christian you're just a moorakh using a false name wasting everyones time

Either way things aren't looking up for you :..:

Guest Chris_Latta
How can you possibly know him??

Everything isn't always as it seems. ;) Sarpanch is the real one who should be banned from this forum. I'll leave it at that.

Guest Chris_Latta

OK, I'm just stating that it isn't right that Sarpanch hasn't been thrown off this forum and possibly even arrested for some of things he has said on the internet. I've made my point.